Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #1156
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
[QUOTE=redlead3;22113500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlead3 View Post
I'm trying to wire up the Baja Design DSK upgrade kit to my stock ignition wires. I don't have anything to plug into the double green connector... Can someone help me?!

I'm running the kit as AC, not DC

picture on my DB account.

I looked at the stock wiring diagram and it seems the "Bl/W" is the killswitch wire, the "G" wire looks like it should also go to the engine killswitch, the "Bu" looks like it goes to the High Beam indicator...

Any help would be appreciated so I can RIDE this weekend!

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
I don't know if it is the same as my Ricky Stator, I will look at it when I get home to see if I can help.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #1157
redlead3
n00b

Oddometer: 5
[QUOTE=Gunga Galunga;22117762]
Quote:

I don't know if it is the same as my Ricky Stator, I will look at it when I get home to see if I can help.
I got the kill switch to work but I still have the blue wire from the stock harness left to match up. Note: lights and horns are not working so I'm guessing this blue supplies AC power to some wire in the Baja Designs DSK

redlead3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #1158
mike1229
n00b

Plated R all dc or ac/dc

Noob to all of this but do have some skills. I have a vapor comp installed, stop/tail light installed, just ordered a 2x100 stator. Will like to install vision x light cannons, plug in for a gps, hid or led head light. My pig is already plated no turn singles or horn. what will be my best options. Have a h3 bulb for a head light.
mike1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #1159
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
I'm trying to wire up the Baja Design DSK upgrade kit to my stock ignition wires. I don't have anything to plug into the double green connector... Can someone help me?!

I looked at the stock wiring diagram and it seems the "Bl/W" is the killswitch wire, the "G" wire looks like it should also go to the engine killswitch, the "Bu" looks like it goes to the High Beam indicator...

For the stock wiring on the bike:

Bl/W is to the kill switch
G is the common ground
Bu is power to your headlight
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:38 PM   #1160
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 209
[QUOTE=redlead3;22117933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post

I got the kill switch to work but I still have the blue wire from the stock harness left to match up. Note: lights and horns are not working so I'm guessing this blue supplies AC power to some wire in the Baja Designs DSK

Is this the kit you are trying to install?:

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...umber=121300RD

If so, a link to the instructions are on that page, and are pretty straight forward. Are you using the stock stator, or did you have that rewound?
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #1161
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
[QUOTE=Rydah;22119303]
Quote:

Is this the kit you are trying to install?:

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...umber=121300RD

If so, a link to the instructions are on that page, and are pretty straight forward. Are you using the stock stator, or did you have that rewound?
I apologize as work called me in and have not got to bike. From your link, no, different setup. I am using a hodgepodge of BD RS and HDB, not the all in one BD behind the headlamp. Currently have stock stator in to be replaced with RS AC/DC.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #1162
redlead3
n00b

Quote:

So I was able to figure it out.

The blue wire from the stock harness supplies 8-12V to the front harness - I ran a jumper from it to a red wire plug in the harness and also ran a grounding jumper and VOILA. Horns and Lights!
redlead3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #1163
winch
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Charge rates for LiFe Battery

So, I have a couple questions. I'm pretty new to the electrical game, so forgive my ignorance.

I'm trying to rewire my XR650R after a previous owner made a bit of a mess. Current setup is single output, stock stator, running through BD reg/rec. From there, power runs to a Shorai LiFe battery, and then powers all electrical besides ignition.

I would like to keep a single output DC, in case I want to upgrade to HID. Most likely I will run a 35/35W headlight, but I want to keep my options open to upgrade to something bigger/brighter in the future. Beyond that, standard dualsport lights - LED taillight, blinkers, horn, possible GPS.

Should I rewire the stator to output 200W? I don't need to at this point, but it would make future upgrades easier. I would also run a bigger reg/rec to handle the additional power.

How worried do I have to be about charge rates for the battery? Max charge rate is listed at 9A, but if I have my headlight always on, will it be enough to balance it out? Or would I have to rewire stator if/when I decide to upgrade my headlight?
winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #1164
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutten View Post
Should I rewire the stator to output 200W? I don't need to at this point, but it would make future upgrades easier. I would also run a bigger reg/rec to handle the additional power.
I used one of these dirt cheep at 75 bucks or offer + free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-XR-XR4...fc4be3&vxp=mtr

I have about 3,000 miles on it so far with no problems at all. It's silly to not upgrade your stator when it can be done so easily, and inexpensive.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #1165
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer: 121
have LED blinkers?

Figured I'd post this in case anyone else has as much fun trying to get LED's to work.

I installed LED's for my blinkers and I had the very common problem of them not working correctly with the flasher that came with the BajaDesigns kit. After many posts and many flashers later I found one that solved my problem. The CF-13. All I needed to add was a ground wire and the thing works like a charm. My BD kit is an older model (round thermal flasher) so if you plan on switching to LED this might save you a headache.

check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/3-Pin-CF-13-El...tronic+Flasher
Akunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #1166
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutten View Post
So, I have a couple questions. I'm pretty new to the electrical game, so forgive my ignorance.

I'm trying to rewire my XR650R after a previous owner made a bit of a mess. Current setup is single output, stock stator, running through BD reg/rec. From there, power runs to a Shorai LiFe battery, and then powers all electrical besides ignition.

I would like to keep a single output DC, in case I want to upgrade to HID. Most likely I will run a 35/35W headlight, but I want to keep my options open to upgrade to something bigger/brighter in the future. Beyond that, standard dualsport lights - LED taillight, blinkers, horn, possible GPS.

How worried do I have to be about charge rates for the battery? Max charge rate is listed at 9A, but if I have my headlight always on, will it be enough to balance it out? Or would I have to rewire stator if/when I decide to upgrade my headlight?
It shouldn't be a problem unless you run the battery completely dead, which is bad for litiums anyhow. It should never see 9 amps of charge current. Also, the trail tech r/r, while only being good to 150w has a current limited charge lead to protect batteries. I know some folks who run two on a split winding.

However, I have tried LiFe (A123 racing) and have a problem with killing one cell at a time when running in the day with no load on the system. I think this is related to the 200w tymphanium r/r, which has shown to be dirty voltage wise. And also related to the battery not having any protection circuitry. I would hope those factory built packs do have some sort of protection and balancing circuits.

I don't know if there is something wrong with it or what. It behaves just like all the other r/r I have tried. SO I gave up, and just unplug the battery when not in use. I plan to install a relay at some point to eliminate the plugging in and have it connect automatically when I turn the HID on.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #1167
BronkoRob
Adventurer

older baja designs dual sport kit questions

I am running the stock stator with the older classic baja designs dual sport kit. the one where all the components are under the seat. I am looking to upgrade the stator to a 200W unit but want to know my options as far as AC/DC output. the baja designs writeup says i will be putting the stock AC regulator back on the bike and running one output to that, and the second the the regulator rectifier supplied with the dual sport kit. can anyone tell me if there will be anything else powered from the AC side other than the headlight, if wired the way baja designs tells me to?

is there any benefit of converting to all DC? my last bike was a KTM RFS and when i went with a higher output stator it also changed over to all DC, which made it nice to power accessories. other than that, any other perks to go all DC? if i go that route, i would wire a second regulator rectifier in place of the stock AC regulator? or would i be able to connect the 2 stator output and use the single baja designs regulator rectifier?

I am no electrical guru, thats why i want to run this by some of you guys with XR electrical experience.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #1168
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,983
Belts and Suspenders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronkoRob View Post
I am running the stock stator with the older classic baja designs dual sport kit. the one where all the components are under the seat. I am looking to upgrade the stator to a 200W unit but want to know my options as far as AC/DC output. the baja designs writeup says i will be putting the stock AC regulator back on the bike and running one output to that, and the second the the regulator rectifier supplied with the dual sport kit. can anyone tell me if there will be anything else powered from the AC side other than the headlight, if wired the way baja designs tells me to?

is there any benefit of converting to all DC? my last bike was a KTM RFS and when i went with a higher output stator it also changed over to all DC, which made it nice to power accessories. other than that, any other perks to go all DC? if i go that route, i would wire a second regulator rectifier in place of the stock AC regulator? or would i be able to connect the 2 stator output and use the single baja designs regulator rectifier?

I am no electrical guru, thats why i want to run this by some of you guys with XR electrical experience.
Converting to all DC puts all of your eggs in one basket (if using one regulator/rectifier, that is). A halogen light will run off of AC or DC, so if you split up your system, you won't be stuck in the dark without a headlight. Well, only if your stator or associated wiring goes out....but then the motor probably won't have ignition anyway....

My bike has the older split AC/DC 200 Watt BD stator. Half runs just the halogen 'low' beam of my BD Tecate light. The DC side powers the HID 'high' beam and all other electrical stuff (LED taillight, turn signals, gps, helmet light etc.) If my AC regulator shits on me, I can wire the 'low' beam over to the DC side. Or if the DC windings go on the stator, I can move the R/R to the AC side.

OK, sounds convincing, right? Have I ever had to? No. Have I heard of people having major issues with regulator/rectifiers? No. Since my bike came to me this way, would I build it the same way again? Don't know. A straight 200W DC system would end up being a cleaner install.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #1169
BronkoRob
Adventurer

Ok got some troubles. I went with a racetech electric 200w stator. Running and AC and DC system. Running per the baja designs instructions for the older dual sport kit. I put the old AC regulator back on and am running a relay to the headlight. Now with my light switch I have a switch that gives me just the small running light....works fine with blinkers. Than I can switch on the low beam...nice and bright but turn signals do not function. Than the high beam switch, no main light just running light but turn signals work.

I'm no electrical guru and can use any sort of assistance or guidance. Any ideas of what I should be looking for?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #1170
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronkoRob View Post
Ok got some troubles. I went with a racetech electric 200w stator. Running and AC and DC system. Running per the baja designs instructions for the older dual sport kit. I put the old AC regulator back on and am running a relay to the headlight. Now with my light switch I have a switch that gives me just the small running light....works fine with blinkers. Than I can switch on the low beam...nice and bright but turn signals do not function. Than the high beam switch, no main light just running light but turn signals work.

I'm no electrical guru and can use any sort of assistance or guidance. Any ideas of what I should be looking for?

Thanks
If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, you have to "float" the ground on a dual (AC/DC) voltage system. Plugging the stock regulator back in does not achieve that. Also, if you are running a 55/60w headlight you don't want to use any part of the stock harness. The wires just aren't big enough. Check out the "XRider's Big 6" thread. I discuss the exact system you're trying to make. If you still run into trouble then PM me and I'll send you some schematics.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is online now   Reply With Quote