User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Mr.Moose OP
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 522
The Future of Buell???

Someone posted this over at badweather and It has spawned a great conversation on the future of buell motor company. I thought it would be interesting to get another point of view on their future from other beastly riders. I will say I hope this doesnt turn into a Buell bashing thread, but more an intelligent conversation on where the company might be headed.
http://dalefranks.com/cycles/?p=995
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...as-sales-drop/
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,427
Get that Blast now, while you can.
McB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Current market conditions notwithstanding, Buell represents one of the best ways for H-D to appeal to a different audience. So unless H-D management decides to turn the company into a cash cow business (and please understand what the definition is before commenting) or have MV Agusta grow to fill that niche, that by itself will probably keep Buell within H-D (for better or worse long term).

More importently- what's the under-over post count before this potentially really interesting thread gets booted to JM?
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
cycletlh
Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer: 118
The first article speaks primarily on Harley failing to capitalize on the potential of Buell. It also speaks of a new president willing to take the company in directions old management would not. The seconds speaks of smart management. Not mentioned is the decision to stay in their current locations instead of a brand new facility. Smart management again.

Buell has seen worse times. I read all this to be more positive then negative!

Mom & Pop stores selling Buells alongside other niche brands. Excited about the product. Stocking the basic parts (all which can be bought for less than $1500). Oil changes that are less than $300. Letting potential customers demo the bikes and making decisions for themselves.
cycletlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,642
The "Buell is going to disappear, a source high in the Iron Tower told me so" surfaces at least once a year --

In a company the size of HD, you can find a "highly placed source" who disagrees with at least one fo the company's decisions, and is willing to say so, off the record (statistics would likely bear this out, but we all know what Twain said about them).

This kind of reporting (Dale's) is expected from MCN.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
MV Agusta will sold long before Buell will.
Berto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
I test rode a new Buell 1125R and its one outstanding machine. I received a coupon from Buell to test ride the bike and get a gift to boot. I drove over to the local Harley store in my shorts and polo shirt, my riding gear was in the trunk. The sales guy took the coupon and handed me the gift and left me standing in the middle of the show room. I tracked him down and inquired about the test ride and he said " no one wants to ride the bikes, they just want the gift." There is the problem...the Harley sales guys don't care, understand, or give a shit about any thing other that the Harley customer. Until H-D figures this out they will not sell bikes, people buy them but are not sold the Buells.
Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,029
Buell has come a long way, especially since the infusion of capital from HD. I think there is a bright future for the brand. Everybody is hurting right now. Hopefully things will pick up soon for everyone.

How about a "cash for clunkers" program for motorcycles?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
I really hope Buell do well. I almost bought a Uly, and I'm glad they are in the market place.
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto
MV Agusta will sold long before Buell will.
What makes you think that?

Have you been drinking the cool-aid over at Badweb??
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum
What makes you think that?

Have you been drinking the cool-aid over at Badweb??
C'mon man; MV have trouble keeping track of their bikes, because so few ever get registered for use on the road.

Right now they sell garage ornaments called motorcycles, to the kind of guys who like to decorate their man-caves with heavy metal trinkets.

I hope that changes, tbh; but Buell at least have an active customer base.
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
MLS2GO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
The Blast actually hasn't gone away

They have new ones, they just don't say Buell on the on the sides anymore, it just says Blast. I saw one at my local HD/Buell store and asked about it. On the gas gauge there is a little Buell logo. HD needs them for their Riders Edge courses.
MLS2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
I guess that the real question is this: I"s Buell making money or not?"

I seriously doubt that HD is going to keep subsidizing a sea of red ink, just so that they can say that theyre in the "Sport Bike" business!

And most of us agree.... There have been a host of good opportunities missed and terriffic ideas disgarded over the last few years. The bikes need better styling, a better power plant, a motivated sales force and enough technology that they can compete with the dominant brands.

If HD wad serious, they'd be doing what BMW is doing. They'd build a world class sport bike and stuff it up the nose of the Japanese and European builders. That would sell some bikes!!

Unfortunately, I don't forsee that happening. Do any of you?

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #14
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
C'mon man; MV have trouble keeping track of their bikes, because so few ever get registered for use on the road.

Right now they sell garage ornaments called motorcycles, to the kind of guys who like to decorate their man-caves with heavy metal trinkets.

I hope that changes, tbh; but Buell at least have an active customer base.
MV...... Garage ornaments, ya got to be kidding!

Buell is done, RIP!

They had an opportunity for a big score with the introduction of the liquid cooled 1125...... but twhen they introduced the '08 1125R, it was not ready for prime time. A major error for any business, especially one that is being pulled along by a mother ship, H-D.

Their dealer network is sub par and the number of dealers has been dwindling over the years. There is not enough profit in the product for the dealer to want to carry the product.

No evidance existrs that Buell owners move up to H-D's. From the comments at Badweb it seems most Buell owners shun them, with perhaps the exception of the XR1200. The XR1200 is the transition bike that will enable H-D to stimulate interest in the brand by riders interested in a sport STYLE ride while they close the door on Buell.

As a performance bike...... you can buy better for less $$$.

My thoughts on why the end is near. BUELL MOTOR COMPANY...... RIP!
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley
I test rode a new Buell 1125R and its one outstanding machine. I received a coupon from Buell to test ride the bike and get a gift to boot. I drove over to the local Harley store in my shorts and polo shirt, my riding gear was in the trunk. The sales guy took the coupon and handed me the gift and left me standing in the middle of the show room. I tracked him down and inquired about the test ride and he said " no one wants to ride the bikes, they just want the gift." There is the problem...the Harley sales guys don't care, understand, or give a shit about any thing other that the Harley customer. Until H-D figures this out they will not sell bikes, people buy them but are not sold the Buells.
Dudley
I had a similar experience. I went in to look at a Uly. The sales guy kept dragging me over to the Harley's. First a soft tail then the XR. I said I did not like the fet forward riding and had not ridden a Uly and was interested. I think Harley should move Buell to the MV Agusta Dealers. This would put relatively lower cost sporting bikes in the shop with the more expensive MVs. They could complement each other.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote