Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
pbansen
Hosehead

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckrider
I have wolfmans and like them a lot. On a 9000 mile camp trip to the arctic last summer I needed all the storage I could get. Rain gear in one side and warm gear (heated jacket, gloves and controller in the other.
Thanks for the input on the Wolfman product! They look like they hang rather low on your bike also - would probably hit the Givi bars if not positioned higher. Maybe I'll look around for a penny-tech solution first - something with more compartmentation than the Wolfmans, which are one big compartment, if I understand correctly.

Pete
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 AM   #17
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbansen
Check out Mountain Sun:
http://www.mt-sun.com/catalog.php?type=product&id=21362

Jim's tank panniers will accommodate a 2L Camelbak on each side in its own compartment with a tunnel for the drinking tube to exit from the bag. I've had a set for about four years and have been very happy with them. The tank pannier will hold a metric shitload of stuff on top of that and one of them turns into a little backpack (I've never performed that feat of magic, but I'll take his word for it). There are a lot more compartments than in the Aerostich or Wolfman tank panniers, so you can organize your stuff somewhat effectively, instead of having it all jumbled up in one big compartment. Highly recommended!
Hey, they look great! Thanks for the referral. Now, to go have a long, frank conversation with Messrs Visa and MasterCard...
Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
395dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Question tank panniers

Has anyone tried any of the panniers mentioned on a DL650 with H-B guards? Just eyeballing it, it looks like the panniers would have to hang behind the guards and I seem to remember a comment on one of the forums that the author's knees hit the panniers so he got rid of them.
395dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #19
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Chronicles

Oddometer: 457
I had a set of Wolfman Expedition tank panniers at my disposal on my recent travels on the Pony Express Trail. I did not use them because all my gear was in the other bags. I did use the Expedition Tank Bag and Large Expedition Duffle Bag. Everything ... I mean everything ... stayed dry in all the rain that I encountered. The two other riders did use the Tank Panniers. You can see some of their pictures here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479699. I rode with Jim and Greg of the ALT Project for several days before heading out on my own assignment.

The Wolfman Luggage that I used worked great. The Tank Panniers are adjustable, and would fit very nicely on the V-Strom with SW-Motech engine guards. You need something to anchor them to, and the guards would be in the right position.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650, and 2014.5 Kawasaki KLR 650
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #20
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
I KLR-ed myself to tank panniers. I took a pair of old bicycle panniers, drilled holes through the supporting plastic backing, and now I can basically butterfly-bolt 'em onto my GIVI crashguards. Works.

Probably looks like hell, but
a) it's a V-strom, not a beauty queen
b) it fits my cheap-ass budget
c) it has Paul Mondor's seal of approval.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 AM   #21
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Glad to hear of the Aerostich full size tank panniers fitting well with Givi crashbars! Picked up a set last year, along with a large GS Bags Connection tankbag to fit to my 04 DL1000. Was too busy breaking my arm on a KTM 300XC to get around to mounting them though...

My purpose is to transfer weight forward on my 41 litre Zega Pannier equipped DL. The Panniers loaded with my "don't forget the kitchen sink packing style", have always led to an unloaded front end and truly terrible instability problems, go figure...

Looking forward to afixing the farkles in 09 and continuing my quest to justify the Passport 8500 X50, really not needed presently, what with high speed handling issues. Perhaps an emergency transponder instead...

Good luck with you and your's!
See you at the Edmonton MC Show January 16-18

996DL
perfect application, my friend.

i had 41 litres on the Strom, and now i have them on the GS. the tank panniers are excellent for moving some weight forward. i put my extra oil (disregard if you have a Strom) tools (heavy) spares, and i'll slide my bottle of water in there as well for a quick drink on the road. i have a wolfman tank bag, too.
if i carry a stove i use the tank pannier to carry that and the fuel bottle as well, as you don't want stove fuel in your rear pannier, soaking your clothing, tent, etc. i also carry some stuff i need to get to. Plexus and cloth, extra staps, batteries for the camera. you get the idea.

it's easy to load those big rear boxes so that they weigh a ton. getting some weight up front helps a bunch. may make your ride even more top heavy than usual.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #22
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
Calloway Golf Shoe Bags on Givi Bars

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #23
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Two backpacks of more or less conservative style are from a discount store, ~ $25. One shoulder strap of one is sewn onto another on the other bag. Two others are locked around left and right side of the fairing respectively.
Advantages: cost, volume, knee wind protection, usage for original purpose of backpacks, masking scars of previous lay downs.
Disadvantages: some sewing is needed, no outer map pocket, probably increased wind drag.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #24
Switchfoot
It's Time!

Oddometer: 74
Wolfman with HB bars.

Pic 1
Attached Images

87' Rebel 450
01' V-Star 650(sold)
06' DR650 (sold)
07' KLR 650(sold)

__________________________________________________ ___________

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Deo velente
Switchfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
Switchfoot
It's Time!

Oddometer: 74
Wolfman with HB bars.

Pic 2
Attached Images

87' Rebel 450
01' V-Star 650(sold)
06' DR650 (sold)
07' KLR 650(sold)

__________________________________________________ ___________

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Deo velente
Switchfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 PM   #26
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,740
http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...687B37AA1B5F85

http://www.bikerworldusa.com/famsa.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #27
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,119
When I finally got around to mounting my Aerostich tank panniers on my 04 DL1000 with Givi crash bars this year, I couldn't come up with a combination that satisfied me regarding fit. I would have had to sew on alternative straps etc...

I'll check them out on my DR650 someday, probably trying them in conjunction with the Ebay BBQ rack, or just send them to a friend with an 07 KLR650 which they're reported to fit well on. I'll consider something more waterproof, that'll attach directly to the Givi bars should I attempt this again, perhaps something from Ortlieb etc...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote