Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
Good luck!
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:08 AM   #17
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,973
Good luck.

The far north is spectacular in winter. I've driven to Tuk by car. I saw the most spectacular sunrise of my life on the ice road. Post lots of pics.

Don't freeze your niblets.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 AM   #18
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,541
Most excellent!

Sounds like you've got a great plan.

Also sounds like a lot of fun.

Best of luck, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Oddometer: 605
Question Camera heater ideas please

Hi, guys would appreciate help on this problem if any ideas...

How do I keep my camera and camcorder warm so that they're handy while riding and keep operating? I hear the batteries die quickly and the cameras don't work well when you get -10 -20 etc.

Any ideas or anyone got this figured out already? I think I have enough power to run some more heated gear but what?
Northern Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,232
1. Not sure how big the camera is, but camping on cold mountain faces, anything we wanted unfrozen in the morning we sleep with. Could you keep the camera on an inside pocket of your coat?

2. How about getting a Gerbing heated vest just for the electronics? Do not wear the vest, but wrap up your electronics with the vest and put it in a saddle/tank bag. (kind of like a heating pad of sorts) That would have to keep it warm enough and within reach?

Problem is, when you take them out of their warm container, and expose them to the cold air, the lenses are going to fog up. But maybe you can find that sweet spot that is warm enough for the electronics to operate but cold enough to minimize this effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Rob

How do I keep my camera and camcorder warm so that they're handy while riding and keep operating? I hear the batteries die quickly and the cameras don't work well when you get -10 -20 etc.

Any ideas or anyone got this figured out already? I think I have enough power to run some more heated gear but what?

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
dusty308
wanderer

Oddometer: 444
??? helmet?? whats the set up here???
Quote:

Old 01-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #22
ImageGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:

The trick here is to keep spare batteries warm and let the camera stay at the same temp as outside. Whenever I was shooting outside in the winter I would have one set of batteries in the camera (rechargable NiMH work pretty well in the cold) and one set in an inside pocket. I would switch batteries when needed. The worst thing you can do is keep taking the camera from warm to cold - you'll get some serious condensation on the outside and inside of the camera and that might cause electrical issues or even freeze up the camera. Keep the camera in some sort of case all the time and when you go from outside into a warm building, keep the camera in the case for about 1-2 hours to let it warm slowly to keep condensation from developing. I've been doing this for years without issues (I probably just jinxed myself didn't I )
ImageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #23
saywut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thumb

Hi ya Rob. This sounds like a great ride, for sure man. Which bike ya takin? Your profile lists the big GS, I imagine that one would do the trick, gonna put a spankin' new batry in it? Do you know any of the BMW riders up here in Vernon? Good Luck and Happy Damn Trails!
saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #24
paulmondor
Iceman

Oddometer: 611
Quote:

Hi Rob!

Buy yourself a pair of wrap around Heated grips (Not the Oxfords! They catch on fire! Don't ask!) and put them at the bottom of your tank bag like I did last winter on my way to Labrador. Then connect them to your power source. Put a towel over them and then sit your equipment on the towel inside and close the bag. If your equipment is outside, the same applies! Just wrap a small towel around your camera, don't block the lens obviously and then wrap 1 heated grip aorund it and VOILA!!!!

Believe me it works to -45 and below.

Or if you want! ZZRon made me a heated pad that would fit just perfectly around your camera if it is Bike mounted. I can send it to you! His stuff is incredible. You might want to check with him! Hey Ron! what da ya think

Iceman
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #25
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Hey Iceman Paul, where are you and Frosty the GS headed this winter? (Hopefully somewhere warm).
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #26
paulmondor
Iceman

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
Hey Iceman Paul, where are you and Frosty the GS headed this winter? (Hopefully somewhere warm).
Hi there Buddy! How you doing? Good to hear from ya! Frosty and I are not going anywhere for now but next summer we are! Melanie and I are going to Central America as a practice run for our world trip in July 2010. Besides this I am busy working on the construction and development of our project here in Victoria and I am also busy putting the last touches on my books which are coming out at the end of February. I am kind of nervous about this. I had an amazing amount of feedback on this already and I Just want to make sure that they will come out the way I am. Raw! In your face and saying things for what they were. I was asked many things by thousands (And I mean this) and one thing is mentioned all the time. "Paul Make sure you write your books the way you talk and the way you wrote on the blogs! So you can imagine that with around 300 pages for each book and over 130 pictures in each, that it is a lot of work. Besides this I am healthy! I lost 68 lbs and feel like a million bucks I could not do these trip as easy as I did before though Damn! Handsome devil! Oh Yes! My brother just bought a bike here in Victoria (I helped him as he lives in Ottawa) and he is coming here to pick it up and we will ride together across Canada. I got him a 2008 KLR. That will be cool besides this! Nothing new. You take care! You ride safe and hopefully we will meet again soon! Iceman

Back to Rob's stuff now! Sorry Rob!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #27
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Hey Paul! Good to see you again! Holy smoke! I barely recognised you now that you're so skinny. If you were a chicken you'd hardly be good enough for soup!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #28
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Paul, if you're still online, can you tell Dusty about your Bomber helmet? Its got some pretty cool features. Paul talked me into using it

Quote:
Originally Posted by *dusty*
??? helmet?? whats the set up here???

Northern Rob screwed with this post 01-16-2009 at 06:06 PM
Old 01-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #29
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

warm camera gear

jwalters, imageguy and paul. Thanks for your camera tips.

If I have the tank bag just warm enough (say just around freezing?) that the batteries hold a good charge, do you think I'll still have condensation problems with lenses etc... opening up the bag, taking a few snaps at -20 and putting it back in the bag? Paul did you have condensation problems with your setup?

I could put some spare batteries in an insulated container (insulated drinking cup?) and throw a chemical hand warmer bag in there to keep the spare batteries warm maybe?

So far, I'm be using a sony point and shoot pocket camera, I'll have some kind of digital hand held camcorder, and a helmet cam (POV1) with a separate recorder box. So the tank bag will be pretty full.

Will want to be able to stop and get to the camera gear quickly. You know, just before I hit the deer...
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #30
paulmondor
Iceman

Quote:
jwalters, imageguy and paul. Thanks for your camera tips.

If I have the tank bag just warm enough (say just around freezing?) that the batteries hold a good charge, do you think I'll still have condensation problems with lenses etc... opening up the bag, taking a few snaps at -20 and putting it back in the bag? Paul did you have condensation problems with your setup?

I could put some spare batteries in an insulated container (insulated drinking cup?) and throw a chemical hand warmer bag in there to keep the spare batteries warm maybe?

So far, I'm be using a sony point and shoot pocket camera, I'll have some kind of digital hand held camcorder, and a helmet cam (POV1) with a separate recorder box. So the tank bag will be pretty full.

Will want to be able to stop and get to the camera gear quickly. You know, just before I hit the deer...
Hi Rob! I did not have condensation problems as my 627 pictures show. I do not know what you have for camera but I have the Sont digital SLR and it worked fine. My batteie for my Sport Shotz helmet mounted camera was fine too in the tank bag. I had a spare battery and never used it. When my heating system FUBAR'd, my stuff did not work anymore at -60C but I suppose it is to be expected. I am sure you will not run into the same temperatures.

Ask Dusty to PM me or I can do it! Dusty? PM me?

Iceman