Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #31
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,027
I followed the Ice Road Truckers series on US television. You might be able to contact them at the History Channel and find our what they did to keep their camera equipment ready for action. I do recall a radio interview in which the producers admitted they went through thousands of $$ worth of cameras during the shooting.

I will be following this thread.

I also look forward to seeing photos of the spiked ice tires and how they perform on the ice roads.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #32
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Oddometer: 605
Paul, talking about good winter helmets is in no way a hijack! You're too polite buddy. Its good stuff, right in line with the thread and I'll be using the same helmet without field experience, so pop it in here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor
Ask Dusty to PM me or I can do it! Dusty? PM me?

Iceman
Northern Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #33
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless
I followed the Ice Road Truckers series on US television. You might be able to contact them at the History Channel and find our what they did to keep their camera equipment ready for action. I do recall a radio interview in which the producers admitted they went through thousands of $$ worth of cameras during the shooting.

I also look forward to seeing photos of the spiked ice tires and how they perform on the ice roads.
Good idea. I'll drop them a line. I promise we'll talk tires when I've had more miles on them. So far, they've been great on icy roads - but only a few 100 kms experience.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #34
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters
Problem is, when you take them out of their warm container, and expose them to the cold air, the lenses are going to fog up.
It's really the other way around. When the cold camera/lens is exposed to warmer air, moisture from the warm air condenses on the colder surface. From your other comments, I'll bet you knew that and just explained it backwards. Been known to do that myself when my fast fingers get ahead of my half fast brain.

Regarding batteries: So far I've had very good luck with lithium batteries in cold weather. The batteries do far better than the autofocus mechanism in my Sony cameras, which refuses to function much below 0F. A 12 volt electric blanket for the tailtrunk on my Wing is in the offing. And if you're using grip heaters or other 12V heaters, there are simple little thermostats called Temp-Stats that can turn the current off and on to maintain a maximum temperature within a confined space.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #35
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,883
Looking Back In History...

In 1975 a rider took off from Prudhoe Bay December 2 on a BMW 750. It was -35F/-37C when he left, with a 10 knot tailwind. Got a chance to talk with him about the trip a couple of years ago. This is a little of what he told me, as I posted on another forum:

"On his feet he was wearing Bunny Boots. (How about that, all you nay-sayers who claim you can't operate the foot controls with bulky boots on your feet?). ;^)
At the other end, a full-face helmet with pieces of foam stuffed under his eyes to keep cold air from getting all the way up to his eyeballs. A snorkel ducted exhaled air to the back of his neck for exhaust so that it wouldn't frost up the inside of his faceshield.
A scrap of an old air mattress served as a windproof cover over the front of his jacket to keep the breezes out. He related that he had layer upon layer of clothing - down, as well as anything else that would keep him halfway warm. He was the ripe old age of 22 when this ride occurred.
He pulled out of Deadhorse on Dec. 2, and hit (IIRC) -64F at Coldfoot. While his arrival time/date in Fairbanks wasn't mentioned, he stated that he was determined to leave that fair city on Dec. 10th, which he did, at the relatively balmy temperature of -53F. Passing through Tok that afternoon on his way to Beaver Creek for an overnight stop, the temperature was an official (again, IIRC) -63F at the junction town.
He made his ride down while the construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was in full swing, with lots of traffic on the Haul Road. Reports of his progress were passed up and down the highway by CB as truckers kept each other informed, and he said that he would often come around a curve to see a truck or two stopped alongside the road and a driver stepping out with a camera to capture the image of this strange apparition doing what no one in their right mind would even consider trying."

He also mentioned that he had a large supply of clean rags along, and whenever he detected cold air seeping through anywhere he would stop and attempt to seal the opening with a rag.

Technology has made vast strides toward keeping us warm despite our foolishness, but sometimes the simple things still come in handy. Nevertheless, after riding many miles in below zero (F) temps with my faceshield cracked open a bit to keep it from frosting up, I finally gave in and bought a helmet with a heated visor. It sure is nice to be able to see where you're going.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #36
ImageGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider
So far I've had very good luck with lithium batteries in cold weather.
After a little bit of research I found out that lithium batteries are good to -40.
ImageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #37
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageGuy
After a little bit of research I found out that lithium batteries are good to -40.
Well, ImageGuy I'm good then! I'm not planning on riding in -40 -60 unless somethings gone really wrong. As i said before, I'm not going for the hardcore award.

And thanks Alcan for that story and tips. I think as a backup I'll add a heated visor to Paul's helmet setup, just in case. Pretty cheap insurance to increase the odds of a more enjoyable ride.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #38
Yukoner
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 82
Regarding temperatures you may already have this info but this link gives average conditions for Dawson. http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec....s=&StnId=1535&
Temperatures are fairly nice by April. One of your challenges make be when to put on your studded tires so they don't wear out on bare road surfaces.

I find condensation problems happen going into a warm moist building. If you keep wet stuff out of your tank bag there shouldn't be much of a humidity change as you take the camera in and out.
Yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #39
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Thanks Yukoner. That's better than the historical weather site I was using. I've bookmarked it. Dawson looks downright balmy for April (+7 to -7 degrees C). No problem. Amazing what a differerence going a bit more North makes. Inuvik daily average temperature -7 to - 18 C. Tuktoyaktuk and the coast -12 to -20. Still not too bad, and that's why we're going for that time of year. Hopefully good ice AND mild weather (fingers crossed).

These studs I'm using are supposed to be good for 1000's of clicks of dry highway. I've put them on the bike already and am riding around with them. On dry road, it sounds like a 100 girls tapdancing in high heels. So far, so good. I don't see any wear yet. So the plan is to ride with studded tires right from the start at Whitehorse.

Thanks for the camera comments and your help.

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Regarding temperatures you may already have this info but this link gives average conditions for Dawson. http://www.climate.weatheroffice.ec....s=&StnId=1535&
Temperatures are fairly nice by April. One of your challenges make be when to put on your studded tires so they don't wear out on bare road surfaces.

I find condensation problems happen going into a warm moist building. If you keep wet stuff out of your tank bag there shouldn't be much of a humidity change as you take the camera in and out.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #40
roninwva
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Good luck Rob. I'm in for this one. Rode up the Dempster the summer of 2007 and am looking forward to your reports and pics from your winter ride. Is your support vehicle following closely or at a distance? Any other bike riders going with you? I too watched the Ice Road Truckers series and some of the weather shown would be extreme to ride a bike through. Have fun!!!!

CMA
PGR
HOG
91 FLHTC
04 Kodiak 450
06 Wee-Strom

roninwva screwed with this post 01-18-2009 at 11:21 AM
roninwva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #41
Northern Rob OP
Con Brio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut
Hi ya Rob. This sounds like a great ride, for sure man. Which bike ya takin? Your profile lists the big GS, I imagine that one would do the trick, gonna put a spankin' new batry in it? Do you know any of the BMW riders up here in Vernon? Good Luck and Happy Damn Trails!
Thanks Saywut. I'll be using a Ural for this ride. A ural looks like this...

They're a lot of fun to drive if you're not in a hurry and if you don't take yourself too seriously ...

I'll be running the stock battery plus a backup wheelchair battery in the tub for reserve.

Cheers!
Rob
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #42
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,344
Holy crap!

You're gonna ride to Tuk?!

You're nuts!

In a good way! Actually in the best way!! Kinda like that off-center uncle who does really cool stuff.

Best of luck on your trip! Can't wait for the pictures!

I've seen Ice Road Truckers. Would this make you an Ice Road Rider?!

Take care!
BG

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #43
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Look also here :

Rob & Dafne de Jong site
They made in 2003-2004 a trans-siberian winter trip with 2 XT600E ... and I think that may be useful since the conditions wont be much different.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #44
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
My hats off to you. No wait, you will need a good hat so put it back on. I am amazed that you are doing such a ride, and in winter. Like your Canadian winter rider Paul did so across Canada, you too are doing a ultimate adventure. Glad there are guys like you out there. Ride safe and enjoy every mile. Keep the post coming.

Take extra batteries and keep em warm and you should be fine. I have shot in minus 38 degrees in Alaska, but that temp. will eat batteries.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #45
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by *dusty*
??? helmet?? whats the set up here???
+2 ??
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote