Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
SEAK Enduro OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
North from the future, or how to buy a bike in Alaska.

First save some money and look for the bike you want, for a very long time. Finally give up and go out into the bush for a while,

and when you get back, find that your wife has purchased a bike on line, after your grandfather looked at it and said “its yellow and has BMW on the side.”

Now comes the issue of traveling from one place in The Great State to another. In Ketchikan, I first had to take the ferry to the airport. Once arriving there, people looked at me funny as my carry-on is my riding gear and helmet, then I got to fly the “milk run” on into Juneau. After an all night layover in Juneau, the flight is delayed, then canceled and I got to stay another 8 hrs before flying on to Anchorage where I had another layover (fortunately only an hour this time) before catching another flight. Finally, after 36 hrs of travel I got to Fairbanks where I spent the rest of the day at the Auto Museum with my grandparents.

SEAK Enduro screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 09:32 PM
SEAK Enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
SEAK Enduro OP
Adventurer

The next day I finally get to see what my wife bought me 2 weeks before, way cool. Picked up the bike and all the misc. stuff that I bought with it. Sort through what I need for the ride and box up the rest, once I have an address my cousin in Fairbanks will get it sent out.

I did mention we were moving at the end of the week from Ketchikan to Seattle, right?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
SEAK Enduro OP
Adventurer

The ride down to the Haines AMHS Terminal has to start somewhere.

Then heads south, through the land of heated out houses.

and bustling rest stops.

After passing each other several times I finally meet these two nuts at the gas station before Port Alcan.

They had just ridden from Argentina to Deadhorse and were trying to make it to NYC to ship their bikes back to the UK.
Yes that is a Harley Sportster, this pic was taken shortly after we jumped it with the truck in the background.

So after this it was time to enter the strange foreign land of Canada. Just before dark, around 1030, my front tire suddenly refused to stay pointed forward! After rolling carefully to a stop from 70 mph, I discovered that the gravel that was down for the new road grade was half to three quarter ROUND. I very carefully rode until I arrived at White River RV Park.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAK Enduro View Post
After passing each other several times I finally meet these two nuts at the gas station before Port Alcan.

They had just ridden from Argentina to Deadhorse and were trying to make it to NYC to ship their bikes back to the UK.
Yes that is a Harley Sportster, this pic was taken shortly after we jumped it with the truck in the background.
I know Phil and Andy, we met in Deadhorse and then rode to Coldfoot together.

I owe a ride report of my own with the stories along the way... I had a great time meeting them and hope to meet them one day again. We didn't get to excange contact info, so if you have it, PM me, I will be most gratefull.
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote