User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Mike Morgan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Baja Video

I just got the video up and going a while back of our Baja trip. It's not too long and has a fairly good selection of the country we covered. We started in San Felipe rode through the desert to Puertecitos. Then we rode the Rockman Trail to Catavina. Then the Bill Nichols Trail to El Rosario and up the coast to San Quentin and went up the back way to Mike's Sky Ranch. Finished up by going via the dry lakebed back to San Felipe. There were three of us with no support of any kind. Just the stuff we could carry on our bikes. Two WR450F's and one Honda XR450X. The trip took 7 days. Hope you enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqIojjgUmxc
Mike Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 566
NICE!!
gps tracks?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,640
Awesome.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,285
Thumb

Saweet!

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Mike Morgan OP
Adventurer

I did use a Spot GPS device. It worked pretty well. Here is a map of the are we rode. The Spot did not get every waypoint like I had hoped. But this is a pretty good map of what we did. It left out a whole section leaving San Felipe.

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=247785
Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Nice video, have not ridden those two trails yet! Also like that last song.
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
eatalotapeaches
finding my own way

Oddometer: 1,462
great video. The date on the spot site says March 2001 is that correct? Did you have any issues on the trip?

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8
eatalotapeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Mike Morgan OP
Adventurer

The whole Spot thing is a little schetchy. The ride was this year (2011). I don't know why it did that. I never even noticed it changed the year on me until you mentioned it. I feel a little better about having the Spot, because we had no Sat Phone or any other way to call for help. The Spot software is not at all user friendly and getting it to work correctly is a major pain. My buddy has one also and has the same issues. it makes you wonder if you need to press the "911 button", is help really on the way or not. But, it was the best we had on that trip.
The Rockman Trail was a very technical, long, challenging ride. The guy on the Honda broke his engine case on a rock. Due to the time it took to make the repairs, we ended up spending the night in a small wash. it was cold. There is absolutely no support along this route and you are miles from anywhere. A trail for the advanced rider. Take extra water, gas and food. It is a very "beat you up" experience. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I can't say that about one of my other riding buddies. It chewed him up and spit him out. He was mentally and physically broken. But after a few pep talks, he was able to pull it together.
The Bill Nichols Trail was probably some of the most fun I ever had. The single track is outstanding. Still very remote and long. That day was about 120 miles. But an amazing ride. Slightly technical, but nothing too difficult. Lot's of cactus gardens to keep you on your toes. Getting off course could be painful. There are some awesome "mud mounds" along this route that are fun as heck. You could spend a whole day riding those.
The back way into Mike's Sky Ranch is all washed out, but riders have made trails around the washed out sections and it is a blast. We stayed at El Coyote Ranch before leaving for Mike's on our final day. This is a must stay place. A massive cattle ranch in an amazing valley with bolder fields scattered around the homes. The rancher and his wife put us up for the night in some very cool little cabins. These people are very nice. The home cooked meals are fantastic and the Tecate is ice cold.
The beach riding was 20 miles of fun times. I don't know what else to say about that other than it was 20 miles of beach riding. Woohoo!!!
Aside from the broken engine case we had no other problems. Not even a flat tire. We were all using the tubeless tire systems with slime. I can't say enough good about that setup.
The next ride will be another Baja adventure in the spring. We are thinking about doing northern Baja again. We have some ideas but no firm trails planned yet. We are looking for more single track.....but isn't everyone?