User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
macrosse OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Mexico day ride in the mountains

So the morning started off bad. I woke up with the street sweepers going up and down my street at 5:15 and I couldn't get back to sleep. When I was laying in bed, I realized my hand itched then my arm. After about 10 minutes of itching I realized I had been eaten alive by mosquitos. OK, today has started off bad. Wait there is more! As I walked out the door to load my bike I hit my head on the door frame, you will see why in the pic. Finally I got on the road... wait, where are the road signs? GRRRRR! A 1/2 hour later I finally found the right road and I'm on my way.

A little bit of coffee and I was on the road.

Road up to Mascota

Mascota

Before leaving Mascota I made sure I was going in the right direction. I hit some road construction but it wasn't bad. The roads were pretty bad but at least it was asphalt.

Entering Talpa

Leaving Talpa the road was actual asphalt for a while until I ran into some road construction. No big deal right? Well the road construction was only a 1/4 mile and after that it was all gravel, rock, mud, dirt, water and sand. I figured it would turn back into asphalt again but then all signs of human life started to disappear. I thought to myself, "this is how people get kidnapped." I said I would turn around at 12:30 if I didn't find a town. I had my map but it wasn't helping. When I had to ride through a foot of water that was crossing the road I started to wonder if I had taken the wrong road. Finally I saw a old man and asked him for directions. The town I was looking for was right around the corner. I stopped in the town to eat a couple granola bars and drink some water then I headed back out on the road.... I mean earth. I was excited to see asphalt again but it only lasted a mile or so. You can see why in the pictures. Don't get me wrong, I love off road, but alone in the mountains of Mexico can be a little nerve racking.

Leaving Talpa

La Cuesta

Back on the road again

The road only laster a little while

Ahhh, my first water crossing

This is funny. I started driving through some really small towns but they weren't on the map and the towns on the map didn't exist. I think they were there to confuse people. They would have a split in the road and no signs. That makes it hard when you don't even know where you are on the map. I just guessed! Good thing all my bad luck was used up in the morning.

I guessed left

Finally, a solid surface. I snapped off a couple photos and rode around town for a little while until I figured out which way the freeway was.

Tomatlan

I kept hearing about this place so I had to check it out. It's nice and little.

Boca de Tomatlan

If anyone is in the Puerto Vallarta area let me know and I would be willing to take you on this trip. It's about 250 miles of beautiful country.
I will write up a full report on my whole Mexico/USA/TAT ride when I get home in August.
macrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
You've really captured the raw beauty of Mexico's off the beaten track. Thanks for sharing it
Old 01-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Marc, how are you pulling this off? Professional triathlon racing?

Nice to see Mascota through a different pair of eyes. Last time I was there, I had just crunched my motorcycle.

Unas mas fotos, por favor.

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
Fabulous!
'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
GSA Ghost
LOST

Oddometer: 216
Awesome !!!!!!

Are you riding solo?
GSA Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
macrosse OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
Marc, how are you pulling this off? Professional triathlon racing?

Nice to see Mascota through a different pair of eyes. Last time I was there, I had just crunched my motorcycle.

Unas mas fotos, por favor.

Bob

I haven't pulled it off yet, I still have 10,000 more miles to go. I am not a professional triathlon racer nor professional anything. I'm sorry to hear about the crash and I'm glad you are still alive. I almost had my bike stolen 2 nights ago. I have a kryptonite cable looped through the tire and some of the frame. They tried to cut it but it's bullet proof. I also have a really annoying alarm but they never tried to move it so it didn't go off. Wish me luck and I hope you have better luck in the future.
Oh, I will try to put up some more pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA Ghost
Awesome !!!!!!

Are you riding solo?
I rode down here with a good friend but the rest of the trip will be on my own. It's only 4 1/2 more months, what could go wrong?
macrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #7
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Excellent photos of the terrain ,rads,towns etc.
ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
GSA Ghost
LOST

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrosse

I rode down here with a good friend but the rest of the trip will be on my own. It's only 4 1/2 more months, what could go wrong?
Wow !!!

I wish you the very best man, I'm subscribed to your thread. I admire you for doing this awesome trip on your own
GSA Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Beautiful photos, man! Now I AM sorry I couldn't stay longer. I imagine it's hard to know when to stop / when to push on while on a trip into the relatively unknown, but I'm glad you did and it worked out like it did.

Maybe we'll have time to do this before I head back home!
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote