Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #31
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldergeek
...They charge Q25 for locals. however, extranjeros must pay Q150! 600% markup! Eff you guys. I left, and won't go back. I can say I have been to Tikal. Just the gate. And I'll show my pictures of Palenque, remembering being screwed by el gobierno de Guatemala. It should make for a better story, anyway. Why should someone need fifty bucks in their pocket to go see a pile of rocks?
You must be kidding. You would pass up the opportunity to see Tikal "a pile of rocks" simply on principle?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #32
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
You must be kidding. You would pass up the opportunity to see Tikal "a pile of rocks" simply on principle?
What are we without our principles?

Yeah, I call that gouging, and I am tired of being on the defensive. Perhaps this is a good sign that six months on the road is enough for me. But I was just so P.O.'d at the scene at Tikal, after all I went through to get there, that I won't submit to any more. I made my effort. There are no shortage of Gringos who will pay, so I don't think my patronage will be missed.

Imagine the outcry if US parks and services had the "Us vs. Them" pricing structure. Cries of racism and insensitivity would never cease. I understand that those who can pay to preserve things should, but this is outside of my threshold. And they have you as a captive audience once you get all the way up there. It was a dishonest ambush, in my eyes.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #33
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Your loss Bouldergeek, Q150 at 8 to the US dollar is till only around $18.50 Try getting into the big US parks for much less nowadays.Bet you didn't spend nearly as much for a hotel the previous night as you would have in the US--- it all averages out.

The dual pricing is nothing about discrimination nor an ambush. The locals are not as rich as us tourists , and it IS their own heritage and country. Lots of other countries do it also , preferential rates for their own countrymen. and besides if they live nearby they will come more often .
You were perhaps just having a bad day and did not think it through rationally.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #34
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker
Your loss Bouldergeek, Q150 at 8 to the US dollar is till only around $18.50 Try getting into the big US parks for much less nowadays.Bet you didn't spend nearly as much for a hotel the previous night as you would have in the US--- it all averages out.

The dual pricing is nothing about discrimination nor an ambush. The locals are not as rich as us tourists , and it IS their own heritage and country. Lots of other countries do it also , preferential rates for their own countrymen. and besides if they live nearby they will come more often .
You were perhaps just having a bad day and did not think it through rationally.
Understood 100%. That doesn't change that I was turned back for insufficient funds. And, you're right, now I have a bad attitude.

The lake is nice, however. I had a chance to go to Tikal in 2001, too, and I passed. So, perhaps I am not meant to go there.

What are your thoughts on El Ceibo versus Frontera Corozal (Exteverria), for an easy exit?

Old 12-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #35
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What are we without our principles?
The magic words from Mr. Wizard to Tooter Turtle:

Quote:
Trizzle, trazzle, truzzle, trone, time for this one to come home.

I violate my principles every time I pay these exorbitant US taxes!

Old 12-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #36
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Fontera Corozal will be more of the hassels that you were getting frustrated with- need to wrestle bike onto a boat,pay, hire possible helpers, pay some more and a gravel road to get there on the GT side..
To El Cibo it is all clear sailing on paved roads into Mexico. Now don't get all into a mood to rush back home because you are heading back into - oh horrorrs!- winter .That season is so easy to forget when riding around the tropics. Can you stretch your tolerance for mild weather -and finances-another couple of months?
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #37
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:
I had a chance to go to Tikal in 2001, too, and I passed.
Locals pay Q25

Foreigners pay Q15, not Q150

I just got off the phone with the Tikal ticket office and confirmed this.

just kidding.

But to me, being at the gate of Tikal and not entering is almost like being on the steps of the Louvre and not going in. I would have broken out the harmonica and passed the hat to get the money to go in there. It might have taken a month, because I suck at the harmonica, but I would have seen the place if I were anywhere near it.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #38
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
Locals pay Q25

Foreigners pay Q15, not Q150

I just got off the phone with the Tikal ticket office and confirmed this.

just kidding.
Why you gots to do me like that, Hoss?

Quote:
But to me, being at the gate of Tikal and not entering is almost like being on the steps of the Louvre and not going in. I would have broken out the harmonica and passed the hat to get the money to go in there. It might have taken a month, because I suck at the harmonica, but I would have seen the place if I were anywhere near it.
In another ironic twist, it is funny you should mention that. I have been to the Louvre three times, and never gone in.

Twice it was closed, once was while on a road bike, riding around Paris before the finale of the Tour de France.

So, perhaps that "I was almost there" vibe is my legacy.

I just wasn't about to ride 85 miles more to go get money and come back for it. Meh. Bah. Humbug.

Thank you so much for the info on the two ports, Sjoerd. That was what I needed.

Though, I am getting very used to the barco/lancha thing for river crossings. That isn't so much of an issue. If I never have to be yelled at or treated like an imbecile by a tramitadore again, that will be a blessing.

Regarding returning, it is because my Mexico paperwork expires on January 5. Insurance and TVIP. yes, I know I could extend both. But, as noted, I think that I have played out my enthusiasm for being the gringo. I completed this project, and now I have others that I want to do. How many 'platos tipicos' can one enjoy?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 AM   #39
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:
Why you gots to do me like that, Hoss?

Quote:
In another ironic twist, it is funny you should mention that. I have been to the Louvre three times, and never gone in.

Quote:
But, as noted, I think that I have played out my enthusiasm for being the gringo.
Come home, and re-charge

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #40
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...In another ironic twist, it is funny you should mention that. I have been to the Louvre three times, and never gone in...
It's like Chevy Chase's Vacation all over again!

Don't worry about it, you made the trek and got to see and do a lot. Safe riding on the way back

Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #41
randyisanomad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Hey Boulder,

El Ceibo is DEFINITELY the easiest border crossing. The Immigration guy is actually pretty cool, won't gouge you, and was totally easy going about entering ... (I actually entered Guatemala BEFORE I checked out of Mexico because the Mex Aduanas office was closed ... he didn't even check my passport the next day when I came through a second time.)

The only worry about exiting there is the lack of an SAT office. You could try the office in Flores, but they didn't know anything at all about vehicle permits when I stopped by there, so it's probably not helpful. (But if you need to know where it is, it's up on the hill by the cathedral. Walk up the steps, then turn to your right on the next street. It's a long low building with dark glass windows and a blue sign over top.)

I have to agree with everyone on the Tikal thing ... It's seriously a must. I don't get too bugged about the OFFICIAL price differences ... for the reasons other people have stated. The government needs money to maintain the sights, and if they charged the amount they needed then they'd totally exclude their own citizens from their own heritage. It's not ideal. We have our own versions of two-tiered pricing going on. It's what's involved in getting travel permission to ENTER the USA. We have it good when it comes to travel.
randyisanomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #42
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

As I noted over on my thread, El Ceibo was the best border crossing of my trip!

Thanks much for the advice in this thread. The border guy in the Guate office was so nice, we chatted a bit. He said I may be able to remit my paperwork to SAT via mail(?). We'll see.

By keeping my Mex TVP open, I streamlined the re-entry. I just need to pay my $20 tourist visa at a Banjercito before leaving Mexico.

Major ADV success in this thread, I went from stressed and confused to happy and safe. What more can one ask from a web community?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #43
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...Major ADV success in this thread, I went from stressed and confused to happy and safe. What more can one ask from a web community?
It's like doing a group ride without the hassles of having other riders ride with you

Old 05-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #44
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Hola, I crossed from Guatemala to Chiapas via El Ceibo in mid-April.
The mexican side had full services (immigration/vehicle) in a brand new building but the Guate side had just immigration and no SAT vehicle service. I saw the building it will eventually house about half completed, but that was it. The immigration folks were talking about a multa (fine) for crossing w/o cancelling my sticker but let me slide through. I'm not sure if that's going to be a problem on my next entry or not. Saludos

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #45
jrehm
n00b

Oddometer: 1
El Ceibo and vehicle import papers

I just crossed into Guatemala via El Ciebo and I can also attest that you absolutely cannot get your vehicle import papers here. However, that should NOT stop you from crossing here. All the roads were well-paved and the border formalities were simple. We ultimately went to the Belize border to get our vehicle permit, but this was only a 1.5 trip from Flores/El Remate (stay in El Remate!)

when you get to the Belize border, you will have to cross a bridge right before customs. We were suckered into this and had to pay the $6 toll just to get to the customs booth. Park your bike right before this and walk the 100 meters to the customs office to get your paperwork for your bike. The customs guy will surely walk over to check out your VIN (he's not doing anything else) and you'll save the toll (assuming you're heading back into Guat).

Heading back, you can take a gravel road about 10 km from the Belize border that send you south and it meets back up with the main North/South pavement just north of Poptun. The gravel road is decent and it will save you about an hour if you are heading south from here.

Bueno...
Jason
------------------------------------------
jrehm is offline   Reply With Quote