Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #76
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Closed Mondays

Hey all,
Didn't read the last page too thoroughly, but I wanted to verify the rumor that the El Ceibo border is closed Mondays. In fact, it's open every day off the week, EXCEPT THE MEXICO VEHICLE IMPORT/EXPORT DESK IS CLOSED MONDAYS. Everything else is fully operational, though.

alpiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #77
El Mago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Route Info...

I just took the El Ceibo crossing the day before yesterday (July 12, 2011)... The Banjercito (Mexico TVIP) office is still closed Mondays and does not have credit card capabilities - so if your coming in from Guatemala you'll need cash.

Model year deposit: 2000 and older = US$200
2001 - 2006 = US$300
2007 and newer = US$400

plus about US$45 for nonrefundable fees.

I left Palenque at 8:30 and arrived in El Remate (NE of Flores) at about 2:00. That's with almost two hours spent at the border - Leaving Mexico took about 20 minutes, but once in Guatemala things slowed down. You'll still need a tuk-tuk ride to get photocopies and the import desk guy chose to have a 20 minute telephone conversation while I waited in the middle of the process.

There's pavement the whole way, or you can choose to take a couple of dirt shortcuts, as I did...

From Palenque head South on Mex-199, take the turn off for Mex-307 (Carretera Fronteriza), about 10 miles after that turn off take a left heading ENE from the town of Jose Castillo Tielmans - a dirt road in great shape that will hook you up to the pavement to Tenosique in about 10 miles.

Once in Guatemala, about 8 minutes NE of La Libertad, there's a fork - straight NE for dirt and staright into Flores, or right (turning East) for San Francisco and then North to Flores on pavement.

There's plenty of gas in Palenque, Tenosique, La Libertad (Guat.), Flores, and many signs for it in the villages along the road.

'10 KTM 990 R
El Mago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #78
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,649
Why not just hang onto Mexico papers, go to GT, then re-enter like you never left? I have never mounted the Mexico sticker, just keep it to show and have never done that either...
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #79
Willson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I left Mexico through the El Ceibo border crossing last January.
Easy to find, paved all the way, all the services needed are on site.
Only had problems getting my passport stamped to exit Mexico, the agent wanted some extra money I think (said I had to pay taxes if I stayed more than 7 days)... a 100 pesos solved the problem. I was still pissed off.
Completely different when I entered Guatemala, the guys were super nice and helpful. I even chatted for 30 mins with the chief at the first military check-point and we exchanged e-mails.

Anyway, good border crossing and you can easily get from Pelenque to Tikal in a day.
Willson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #80
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mago View Post
Model year deposit: 2000 and older = US$200
2001 - 2006 = US$300
2007 and newer = US$400

plus about US$45 for nonrefundable fees.
Which country was that deposit for?

For me:
US -->Mexico (Calexico border): $36 to import the bike and $150 for 6 months insurance
Mexico -->Guatemala (El Ceibo border): $13 to import, no insurance, ~$2 in copy fees
Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #81
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,167
The $200 to $400 is for the bond on the TVIP in Mexico.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #82
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
The $200 to $400 is for the bond on the TVIP in Mexico.
I'd completely forgotten about that by the time I left Mexico, and never checked to make sure they didn't charge my card. Whoops...
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #83
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpiner84 View Post
I'd completely forgotten about that by the time I left Mexico, and never checked to make sure they didn't charge my card. Whoops...
I hope that you remembered to cancel your TVIP upon leaving Mexico...
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #84
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Looks like Alpiner did NOT cancel the TVIP Which means he gave away the deposit they took off his credit card
.Maybe if there are still a few months of the 6 remaining on the TVIP it might pay for itself to take a long weekend run down to the nearest border crossing to cancel it and get your refund .But more important it should be cancelled to avoid any problems about illegal import of a bike next time Alpiner goes into Mexico ,
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #85
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Looks like Alpiner did NOT cancel the TVIP Which means he gave away the deposit they took off his credit card
Just checked my nasty ziplock bag of border paperwork from last year, and I DID cancel TVIP and my card was NOT charged, so you can stop crying ;-)
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #86
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
for Alpiner
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #87
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Why not just hang onto Mexico papers, go to GT, then re-enter like you never left? I have never mounted the Mexico sticker, just keep it to show and have never done that either...
If the GT officials do not require a Mex exit stamp, you righter than rain.
This would be the way to go.
In my experiences, this varies with the border officials.

If you really don't need to cancel a vehicle (and even tourist) permit, and will be returning to Mex within the given time, then try to do so.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #88
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
You can keep your Mexico TVIP when entering Guatemala.

To enter Guatemala, you must have a Mexico exit stamp. To get a Mexico exit stamp, you have to surrender your tourist card, and to do that, the tourist card must have the payment receipt attached.

On the Guatemala side, they will also ask to see your Mexico TVIP and they will make a copy of it.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #89
alpiner84
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I entered Guatemala with every intention of returning to Mexico...and then I somehow ended up in Panama, selling my bike many months later... It would suck to lose that deposit, and it's only $36 to get back into Mexico.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #90
AnjinSan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Hi guys,

we are currently in Palenque and we were thinking to cross tomorrow into Guatemala via El Ciebo crossing. Is the Banjercito office still closed on Mondays or now it is open all week?

If it is still closed, what do you suggest? Stay in Palenque 1 more day or just go to Tenosique?

Thanks,
Alex