User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM   #1
nasher64 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Need help choosing a bike

This is my first post on this forum and so far it seems like a good place for someone like me to probably ask some stupid questions

A lil about me i'm 23 years old 5'6" 135lbs with a 30" inseam i believe. My riding experience is somewhat nooby. Alot of off road riding on smaller 125 and 250's when i was younger and just recently i got into wanting a motorcycle so i've been riding my friends cbr300 for a month and ive decided to buy my very own motorcycle.

Im looking at a different ride than a sports bike as riding the cbr300 i got real bored not that it was smaller bike but because the smaller kid in me wants to have a multi purposeful bike something i could primarily use on the road commuting and on the occasion take it on dirt trails. Two bikes ive been looking at are the great almighty swiss army knive of bikes the dr650 and a newcomer BMW G650GS (i know two different bikes) but they seem to offer what i want. With either bike like i said i want to be able to take primarily on the road or freeway and to be able to easily cruise at speeds of 60-70 mph and have room to do maybe 80 mph if the time calls for it, and still be able to hit some dirt trails or roads.

So what i need help with is should i get the dr650s which is going to be completely stock no mods at $5500 and slowly start modifying the bike or get a 2014 BMW G650GS $7500.

I know that if i go with the DR650 i wont have to worry about it breaking down or parts as the bike is real simple that it wont break down and that there is a huge aftermarket community out there for the bike, but i will be looking at adding like a good $800-$2000 to make the bike do what i want it to where the G650 is already ready for what i want it for but i am worried about reliability, servicing (BMW dealership is about 10 miles from where i live), and maintenance. What would you guys recommend i just want this bike to be my only bike for a while before i decide on what to do down the future. Or any other bike recommendations would be fine as well trying to stay under $10,000

And sorry about the long post I also got to seat on both bikes and got to test ride a g650 even if it were around the dealership and both feel great for my short stature.
nasher64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #2
cachorroLOUCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I'd go with the dr but it won't be "doing 80mph comfortably".. if you're going to be on-road most of the time a cb500x or nc700x or versys 650 fitted with dual sport tires would be good enough.. but if it was MY choice i'd go with a xt660 or tenere 660 ,the last one is more capable on-road while still being at home on the sketchy stuff. It's on the heavy side tho.
Good luck
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote