Name:  IMG_5596.JPG
Views: 3963
Size:  61.0 KB
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:42 PM   #1532
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Can not figure out how to post more than 1 pic at a time!
Name:  IMG_5595.JPG
Views: 2281
Size:  53.6 KB
Old 10-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #1533
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Name:  IMG_5593.JPG
Views: 2440
Size:  75.9 KB
Old 10-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #1534
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Just wanted to let you guys know I will be selling the handle bar and handguard setup it came with. It has Pro Taper fat bars with Fast way pro-bend Handguards and aluminum adapters for the bars. Everything is in great shape I just want a different setup!
Name:  IMG_5598.JPG
Views: 2542
Size:  56.6 KB
Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #1535
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

So I was cleaning the new bike, and noticed that the chain is stamped D.I.D 428, is it safe to assume that the chain is not factory, I HOPE!!!! Also has 47 tooth sprocket, good or bad?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #1536
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdee View Post
So I was cleaning the new bike, and noticed that the chain is stamped D.I.D 428, is it safe to assume that the chain is not factory, I HOPE!!!! Also has 47 tooth sprocket, good or bad?
D.I.D is the manufacturer of the chain, and 428 is the type used for our TW's. Is it an O-ring chain? Those seem to be better with folks who don't want to spend as much time on chain maintenance (cleaning, lube, adjustment), as you have too on a non o-ring.

47 tooth sprocket in general, is preferred for those with more street use rather than off-road, but not exclusively. I use the stock sprocket setup and the buddy who I ride with has the 47. Never seems to be a problem for him when we are riding in the mountains. Last year we even went to a fire lookout without issue. 47 said to be better from 1st gear on take off from stop in city driving.

I've also heard many who have gone to a 45 tooth sometimes go back to a 47 cause it's just to hard to maintain speed on the highway (headwind, hills) without downshifting a lot with a 45.

Hope you have fun with your TW!
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #1537
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

How can I tell if it is a O-ring chain?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
D.I.D is the manufacturer of the chain, and 428 is the type used for our TW's. Is it an O-ring chain? Those seem to be better with folks who don't want to spend as much time on chain maintenance (cleaning, lube, adjustment), as you have too on a non o-ring.

47 tooth sprocket in general, is preferred for those with more street use rather than off-road, but not exclusively. I use the stock sprocket setup and the buddy who I ride with has the 47. Never seems to be a problem for him when we are riding in the mountains. Last year we even went to a fire lookout without issue. 47 said to be better from 1st gear on take off from stop in city driving.

I've also heard many who have gone to a 45 tooth sometimes go back to a 47 cause it's just to hard to maintain speed on the highway (headwind, hills) without downshifting a lot with a 45.

Hope you have fun with your TW!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #1538
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Got another question, on the left side (when sitting on the bike) up front by the engine there is a canister that I believes says gas tank canister! Do I need this? If not how do I remove?
Name:  IMG_5600.JPG
Views: 2395
Size:  66.2 KB

mykdee screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 07:35 PM
Old 10-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #1539
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Got another question, on the left side (when sitting on the bike) up front by the engine there is a canister that I believes says gas tank canister! Do I need this? If not how do I remove?
That's a vapor canister for California bikes. The tank and carb are a little different from the rest, but you can get rid of it if you want. It's not really hurting anything though.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #1540
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Attachment 295090
That's a fuel vapor canister. I would remove it, since it appears to hinder access while adjusting the exhaust valve lash.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #1541
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Oil filters............I stumbled onto a site called Singapore bikes...funny reading.....anyway it is dedicated to tw's.They were saying the OEM oil filter is only good for two oil changes....?????.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #1542
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=NJ-Brett;16872851]Well, I talked with a number of friends who ride, and posted here about bike choices for the South Jersey Pine Barrens (sand) and everyone seems to think the TW200 is a silly idea for me, so I think I want one.
I looked at and thought about a number of other bikes, all the small dual sports old and new, even old 2 stroke dual sports, and for me, the TW 200 just looks like easy safe fun.

I tend to like low bikes in the dirt (sand), light bikes, and I suppose very fat tires cant hurt.
I like the looks of the TW, it seems robust, and easy to get a little more power and speed out of (if needed) with the usual easy mods.

When the work situation clears up, I hope to look for a good used one and start having fun in the dirt again.

I sold a new Harley and got a tu250 for the street, and sold the dr650 and hope to get a tw200, as I seem to have a LOT more fun on small light bikes.
Everyone seems to think I have lost my mind, and I don't care (maybe a sign they are right?).[/QUOTE

NJ Brett...........lower the tire pressure in a TW and it is almost unstoppable....were talkin down to 15psi approx....normal is 18psi front...25psi rear...i usually run 22psi front though.Went from a 650L to a TW,never regretted it....loved the L,but 37" seat,couldn't do it any longer.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #1543
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscooter View Post
Hey guys, just looking for some feedback on a TW200 as a daily commuter. I have a short commute of 4-5 miles with hills and a fair amount of lights/stop signs.

- With the low gearing, will the more frequent shifting be an issue (since my commute is so short, I can't imagine it will be)?
- What about the fat tires? How does it affect the ride/steering on surface streets?
- Do the tires wear out faster on paved roads?
- How does the bike handle vs.a XT225/DR200 on pavement?

I have no plans to take it off road, it will be strictly a city bike. Just like the looks of it and like the lower seat height vs. a traditional 200-250cc dualsport. I am currently on a Kymco 125S, but find the suspension to be too bone jarring on the many potholes and badly paved streets of SF. I also used to own a XR250L, but it was a little too "thumpy" for my tastes. Anyone else out there use it mainly for urban commuting? Care to share your experiences with it in this type of setting? Thanks!
Fat tires...not a problem,nobby or not,My OEM Bridgestones are great on the pavement....yes a smoother tire would nodoubt give a smoother ride....Bridgestone makes some,Shinko,Avon etc. .
From what I've read,the OEM's will last between 6-10 thousand miles.....I only have a couple hundred on mine so far.
Compare to XT / DR ?????....haven't ridden either.
Definetly rejet....I believe the stock main is a #126(CA is unknown)I went with a #130...pilot screw 2.5 turns out...no rejet on the pilot. All gear"s actually seemed to get "longer" with the rejet...except 1st(stump puller....great for single track or just exploring!).
Old 10-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #1544
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Jetting question for everyone: I have an '03 TW200 that's stock except that the tailcap has no spark arrestor (silly PO). I'm at sea level in NYC, and ride in weather from 20 to 100 degrees. Mostly 40-70 degrees though. What's the jetting upgrade that everyone does, and how much difference does it make?
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #1545
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Chord View Post
Twin TWs do the toughest trail ride in the East.....................
WOW....those guy's looked toasted,beat and just plain 'ol worn out!......looked fun though?!.