Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #1576
bone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
You know, I've had an eye on these for a few years now but for various reasons haven't really tried to find one for myself. I love the idea of these bikes, especially how often the word "fun" seems to come up in their description.

I did sit on one at a bike show a couple of years back and it felt small - too small, maybe. I'm 6'-2", 230 lbs with a 32" inseam. I often ride my current bike 2-up with my girl who would add another 140 or 150 lbs... it wouldn't be necessary for us to ride together regularly, but a few times a year is probably a must.

Any current owners out there feel like this wouldn't be an appropriate bike based on the above? If not, any suggestions for an ex-mountain biking dirt bike noob?

I live in the city, but I'm looking to get something off-road capable to help me get out into the bush more often.

Thanks!
bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #1577
bbagwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I think it would be fine for what you need. I am 6-01 and am comfortable riding it. My fat ass weighs about 300 pounds and it moves me down the road just fine. I have ridden it short distances with my girlfriend on the back. It didn't have any trouble cruising around town and even up to 45 MPH. I wouldn't go for a long ride down the highway with someone on the back but for a short cruise it would be fine.
bbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #1578
RobertAmsterdam
www.twbastards.com

Oddometer: 187
my 2001 11000km yamaha tw125

make a great sound!!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #1579
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Looking for an exhaust or spark arrestor!

Howdy--I'm looking for a spark arrestor or stock exhaust in good condition. The PO of my bike broke the spark arrestor for some reason, and I"m doing a trail ride in two weeks--please, if anyone has a stock spark arrestor or exhaust (or knows a trick to pass tech), I'd love to buy it! I'm in NYC, but can paypal for something far away.

-Nick
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #1580
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Howdy--I'm looking for a spark arrestor or stock exhaust in good condition. The PO of my bike broke the spark arrestor for some reason, and I"m doing a trail ride in two weeks--please, if anyone has a stock spark arrestor or exhaust (or knows a trick to pass tech), I'd love to buy it! I'm in NYC, but can paypal for something far away.

-Nick
If you can't find a reasonably priced spark arrestor, I suggest you consider installing the FMF Universal Spark Arrestor. I installed this FMF silencer on my Chinese, TW200 clone, and I like it very much!

The installation is easy, and the FMF silencer gives the TW200 engine a good power boost. Also this FMF silencer is very reasonably priced. However, installing the FMF silencer would require you to rejet your carburetor, et cetera.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #1581
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Having trouble finding trouble finding any thing but an acid filled battery for the 04 TDUB and I live in Kansas City. Will try BMW dealer tomorrow
Our shop sells a sealed AGM battery for the TDub with a two year warranty. Any dealer in your area that deals with Tucker Rocky can get it for you. Part number is 78-0551 and list is $70.95. Currently backordered till November 18th.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #1582
FootDoc
Gas it

Oddometer: 103

Went for a ride around my buddy's hunting cabin in upstate NY. The Dub continues to amaze me in what it goes through. Had the tires at 8 psi rear, 12 Front.
FootDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #1583
sKatZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
You know, I've had an eye on these for a few years now but for various reasons haven't really tried to find one for myself. I love the idea of these bikes, especially how often the word "fun" seems to come up in their description.
My son (he has a '99 VStar Classic) was here this past weekend and went for a ride on my TW. His first words after getting off were "Man! That was FUN!"
Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #1584
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #1585
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Just got a Shinko 700 for the front tire in today, will have it mounted tomorrow. Looks nice.
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #1586
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
A question for you TW guys & gals:

I currently ride a Suzuki DR650: 10% freeway, 10% dirt and 80% around town, twisties, etc. I'm probably going to give my bike to my brother very soon, so I'm thinking of picking up a TW200 for cheap (available locally).

Any thoughts on going from a 650 to a 200?

I'm not a speed fanatic and ride my DR at a mellow pace. I like simplicity in my motorcycles.
discoganya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #1587
hshirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Dr650 to TW200

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post

I currently ride a Suzuki DR650: 10% freeway, 10% dirt and 80% around town, twisties, etc. I'm probably going to give my bike to my brother very soon, so I'm thinking of picking up a TW200 for cheap (available locally).

I'm not a speed fanatic and ride my DR at a mellow pace. I like simplicity in my motorcycles.
I have a totally tricked out Dr650 and also a TW200 mainly stock with just raised handlebars. I am 6ft tall and right at 200 lbs. If you jump right off the DR onto the TW it seems like your in slow motion of course but I have to tell you that I have more fun on that TW than any other motorcycle I own. My girl has one also and we took both of them on every unpaved unpopulated road and trail we could find this year in Utah and Colorado riding daily up to 10000 feet, I had 250 lbs on mine with gear and gas and it was amazing how able that motorcycle was without a problem what so ever. I must also tell you that a lot of people with a lot more bike watched us go places they couldn't. The only thing I would add is freeway is pretty much out for you on it, around town it does a pretty decent job and beats a gallon of gas to death, I always start out in second gear around town,,,,on the dirt, you gotta ride it there to beleive it.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #1588
sKatZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:

I went from a Suzuki S40 (650) to my TW. For me, it's more a matter of a different riding position than anything else. I'm so happy with this bike it's almost silly If you can stand a top speed of 60-65 and be happy (I definitely can), I think you'll love it.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #1589
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
:lol 3 you have to be kidding
Old 11-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #1590
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Oddometer: 125
Quote:

From my experience, when the cc's go down, the fun goes up!