Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #1621
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoganya View Post
A question for you TW guys & gals:

I currently ride a Suzuki DR650: 10% freeway, 10% dirt and 80% around town, twisties, etc. I'm probably going to give my bike to my brother very soon, so I'm thinking of picking up a TW200 for cheap (available locally).

Any thoughts on going from a 650 to a 200?

I'm not a speed fanatic and ride my DR at a mellow pace. I like simplicity in my motorcycles.
Did almost the same thing...had a 650L...now have TW200!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #1622
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Tappet covers(valve covers) had been leaking...angered me a bit....bought the bike this past June,2009 left over.Has less than a thousand miles on it so far...... the leak(s) started shortly after getting the bike home( at around 100 miles on the clock). Tried taking off the covers and inspecting the o- rings...they "looked" ok....got tired of beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why in the hell pretty much new o- rings are leaking. Put it to rest yesterday and replaced the o-rings...I figured that since the bike pretty much set since 2009 the o-rings degraded from non-use?????. Well,we shall see how the new o-rings do!.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #1623
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Tappet covers(valve covers) had been leaking...angered me a bit....bought the bike this past June,2009 left over.Has less than a thousand miles on it so far...... the leak(s) started shortly after getting the bike home( at around 100 miles on the clock). Tried taking off the covers and inspecting the o- rings...they "looked" ok....got tired of beating my head against the wall trying to figure out why in the hell pretty much new o- rings are leaking. Put it to rest yesterday and replaced the o-rings...I figured that since the bike pretty much set since 2009 the o-rings degraded from non-use?????. Well,we shall see how the new o-rings do!.
Yes, all the O-rings in the engine will deteriorate with time, and exposure to engine heat. I have almost 42,000 miles on my bike, and I have replaced the O-rings for the oil filter cover, oil filter bolt, valve covers, oil drain plug, and cam sprocket cover many times. The OEM, Yamaha O-rings are expensive, so I found other sources for all these O-rings. If anyone is interested, I can start a thread in the Vendors Forum, and sell a complete O-ring kit for the TW200 engine which will cost much less than the Yamaha O-rings.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #1624
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,132
Quote:
Yuasa makes an AGM battery...#...YTZ7S...a bit smaller,yes,but you can "stuff" the box with who knows what and it will stay put.
Thanks for info on battery....think I may wait till winters over and then get a new one for all three bikes....tdub is only one giving me a prob but the others are 5 and 6 years old. Thinking about going with your suggestion(1 year warranty) on the tdub or Bikemaster which fits exactly and has 2 year warranty.
On the oil leak if it still leaks take to machine shop and check that balve cover is flat in the area that is leaking...mine ser for 7 years(24miles) no leak KNOCK on wood
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #1625
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
Thanks for info on battery....think I may wait till winters over and then get a new one for all three bikes...
My Zongshen 200GY-2 (TW200 clone) came supplied with a Yuasa, YB7-A battery, which produces 90 cca.

When the stock battery died after several years of hard usage, I replaced it with a Scorpion, SYTZ7S battery, which produces 130 cca. The SYTZ7S battery was also much smaller, and lighter, than the stock, YB7-A battery.

Using my bathroom scale, I determined the YB7-A battery weighed approximately 6.25 pounds; the SYTZ7S battery weighed approximately 4.0 pounds. Therefore, I gained 40 cca, and my bike lost 2.25 pounds by switching to the SYTZ7S battery!

The Scorpion battery came with some styrofoam packing material, so I used a piece of it to firmly wedge the smaller battery into my Zong’s battery box.

If the motorcycle’s charging system is good, any well-made, AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery should last about eight years. Therefore, I decided to save some money, and experiment with the Scorpion battery. However, the Scorpion batteries proved to be a big disappointment. After replacing two of the Scorpion batteries, I finally exhanged the second Scorpion battery for a Motocross/Yuasu YTZ7S battery, which has performed very well for me.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 02:00 PM
Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #1626
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Yes, all the O-rings in the engine will deteriorate with time, and exposure to engine heat. I have almost 42,000 miles on my bike, and I have replaced the O-rings for the oil filter cover, oil filter bolt, valve covers, oil drain plug, and cam sprocket cover many times. The OEM, Yamaha O-rings are expensive, so I found other sources for all these O-rings. If anyone is interested, I can start a thread in the Vendors Forum, and sell a complete O-ring kit for the TW200 engine which will cost much less than the Yamaha O-rings.

Spud
I expect the o-rings to go bad in "time",but it just seemed a little premature.....yes I would be interested in your "kit" or if you want to share other vendor info????.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #1627
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for info on battery....think I may wait till winters over and then get a new one for all three bikes....tdub is only one giving me a prob but the others are 5 and 6 years old. Thinking about going with your suggestion(1 year warranty) on the tdub or Bikemaster which fits exactly and has 2 year warranty.
On the oil leak if it still leaks take to machine shop and check that balve cover is flat in the area that is leaking...mine ser for 7 years(24miles) no leak KNOCK on wood
Do what you wish sir,but I would stay away from the Bike master.....My TW came with the same battery...the caps would leak fluid. The caps were the press-on type. I went and purchased a Yuasa YB7C-A,only to be let down....it had the same type of caps......what I remembered about Yuasa batteries was their screw-on type caps with rubber o-rings seals....I guess they are no more. So,I'm saving up some MORE $$$$ and will get the YTZ7S!.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #1628
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
My Zongshen 200GY-2 (TW200 clone) came supplied with a Yuasa, YB7-A battery, which produces 90 cca.

When the stock battery died after several years of hard usage, I replaced it with a Scorpion, SYTZ7S battery, which produces 130 cca. The SYTZ7S battery was also much smaller, and lighter, than the stock, YB7-A battery.

Using my bathroom scale, I determined the YB7-A battery weighed approximately 6.25 pounds; the SYTZ7S battery weighed approximately 4.0 pounds. Therefore, I gained 40 cca, and my bike lost 2.25 pounds by switching to the SYTZ7S battery!

The Scorpion battery came with some styrofoam packing material, so I used a piece of it to firmly wedge the smaller battery into my Zong’s battery box.

If the motorcycle’s charging systems is good, any well-made, AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery should last about eight years. Therefore, I decided to save some money, and experiment with the Scorpion battery. However, the Scorpion batteries proved to be a big disappointment. After replacing two of the Scorpion batteries, I finally exhanged the second Scorpion battery for a Motocross/Yuasu YTZ7S battery, which has performed very well for me.

Spud
Spud....I see you had a YB7A......I could only find a YB7C-A here in my section of Ohio....the 7A has the nice screw in caps, the 7C-A has the crappy puch-on type....DoH.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #1629
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,132
Quote:
Do what you wish sir,but I would stay away from the Bike master.....My TW came with the same battery...the caps would leak fluid. The caps were the press-on type. I went and purchased a Yuasa YB7C-A,only to be let down....it had the same type of caps......what I remembered about Yuasa batteries was their screw-on type caps with rubber o-rings seals....I guess they are no more. So,I'm saving up some MORE $$$$ and will get the YTZ7S!.
Thanks for added info!
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #1630
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for added info!
The Batteries Plus stores have an AGM, no-maintenance battery that will fit your TW200.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...to-2007/1.aspx

These batteries have a better warranty than Wal-Mart batteries, and it's convenient to get your battery replaced when you shop at a local store, instead of the internet. Here's a link to some stores in the Kansas City area.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/store_l...zip/64101.aspx

Spud
Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #1631
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Spud....I see you had a YB7A......I could only find a YB7C-A here in my section of Ohio....the 7A has the nice screw in caps, the 7C-A has the crappy puch-on type....DoH.
Maybe one of the Batteries Plus batteries will work well for you, Frog.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...to-2007/1.aspx

There are a lot of Batteries Plus stores located in Ohio.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/store_l.../state/OH.aspx

Spud
Old 11-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #1632
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,110
I get a lot of batteries at batteries plus, good stuff!
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #1633
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

As usual Mr. Spud,you are a wealth of info!!!!!!...........China riders are proud I'm sure!.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #1634
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As usual Mr. Spud,you are a wealth of info!!!!!!...........China riders are proud I'm sure!.
Thank you, Frog.

Spud
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #1635
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,125
I am going to start some pre-winter maintenance on the TW and need some advice. I will be pulling the carb and cleaning that. The carb rebuild kits seem to be junk from what I've gathered. Does anyone have a list of part numbers on the gasket's I will need? OEM or aftermarket is fine.

Also, has anybody here mounted givi(e21's specifically) to the cycle rack pannier kit? I have the givi lug kit and plan on making a metal bracket that mounts to the pannier rack when that arrives. Any insight on that too?