User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #241
HenryJ
S-10CREWCAB.COM

Oddometer: 57
Just finished installing an oil cooler on mine tonight:

The cooler is a power steering cooler from a 2500 Dodge truck. Fits really well and just about disappears.
Cost $10.
The filter cover is from motobike.jp. Pricey little devil at $110 USD.
I bought two 90 degree hose ends from Summit for $28. The rest of the pieces I had laying around left over from other projects. Under $150 is not too bad, IMO.
Looks like it should work. It is tucked in where it should not get hurt or gather brush. Time will tell.
HenryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #242
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220
i have heard to much of this for it not to be true. my 07 has no throttle response.

shimming the needle, i get that... thats no problem. but drilling the slide? not so much.

help a brutha out, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of this would ya. i wanna do this, but i prolly should know exactly what i am drilling before i drill.

thanks in advance..

Three steps to a proper running TW200:

1. Shim the needle.

2. Change the main jet to a #130 or #132.5. I have a #130 in mine right now, and it works fine.

3. Remove the plug blocking access to the idle screw, then adjust it properly. Turn it all the way in (GENTLY seating it), then back out about 2 - 2 1/2 turns. May need some further tinkering.

IF you have dinked with the throttle adjustment screw, you'll have to dink with it again after making these changes, 'cause it'll be too fast.

There's a thread on tw200forum.com that explains in detail, with pictures. However, I made all the changes noted without removing the carb, I just loosened the screws, unhooked the throttle cables, and turned the whole thing sideways to work on it.

Order a float bowl gasket when you order your jets, as the one on the carb may be shot after you remove the bowl to change the main jet. You can get jets from boats.net for a reasonable price, and they carry the gaskets too... that's where I got my parts.

thanks for the info, drillin out the adjustment cap is no biggie... had to do same thing to my klr.

will check into the rest.

thanks again.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #243
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
Nice! Where did you get the oil cooler, there is no way that you got it from the Dodge dealer for $10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryJ
Just finished installing an oil cooler on mine tonight:

The cooler is a power steering cooler from a 2500 Dodge truck. Fits really well and just about disappears.
Cost $10.
The filter cover is from motobike.jp. Pricey little devil at $110 USD.
I bought two 90 degree hose ends from Summit for $28. The rest of the pieces I had laying around left over from other projects. Under $150 is not too bad, IMO.
Looks like it should work. It is tucked in where it should not get hurt or gather brush. Time will tell.

Pine Barons Enduro Riders Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:46 AM   #244
HenryJ
S-10CREWCAB.COM

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy1
Nice! Where did you get the oil cooler, there is no way that you got it from the Dodge dealer for $10!
Salvage yard. Lots of good choices there. PS coolers are not a very popular selling item, you may even get a better price.
HenryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #245
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,455
OK guys I used the Exile Chopper horn relacation kit (as well as relocating the coil) for my Fatboy and was thinking about slapping the Harley horn on my TW.

I never could understand why HD would so proudly stick the horn on the left side of the motor covering up those huge pretty jugs - so I yanked it off and relocated it behind the rear splash guard. I had to use a small horn and have the stock one sittin on the work bench. Now the TW horn is pretty good - I even relocated that one to the front. Is it me or do all these company have the horn issues - I bet it's me.

What do you think about the TW running a larger horn?

I like to reuse parts - I have my old VMax pegs on the TW for a bit wider foot print. I wonder if the horn will bolt right up?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #246
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
I don't know if it will fit, but I am interested in a louder horn. It's not real high up my priority list right now (a 47 tooth rear sprocket heads my wish list), but I'm considering it.

But I want something scary loud...
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #247
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
I am running one of the FIAMM horns from Autozone. It fell off and melted onto my muffler during a crash but I just put some gum on the hole - good as new!
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #248
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Got a "low tone" one at Advance Auto, could be a lil louder but better than the "excuse me, lil sissy bike coming through" horn it came with.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #249
low-post lurker

Oddometer: 204
TW200 group web site members:

What's up over there?
I've been trying to join, but get no reply. I recently picked up a 97 Tdub, and a complete, running 80ish XT250. I would like to pick the brains of the experts over there about swapping the 250 internals into the TW.

396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #250
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,406
I am looking for a set of passenger pegs, shoot me a PM or email if anyone has any. Thanks

mrjamesjolly@yahoo.com
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #251
elveepee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Turn signal question

In order for the turn signals to function on my TW, if I replaced the stock rear turn signal with a 12 LED replacement, will that function the flasher mechanism? Is there some specified current that the lights must draw? Does someone have experience in this? Thanks.
elveepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #252
funster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220
i have heard to much of this for it not to be true. my 07 has no throttle response.

shimming the needle, i get that... thats no problem. but drilling the slide? not so much.

help a brutha out, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of this would ya. i wanna do this, but i prolly should know exactly what i am drilling before i drill.

thanks in advance..
i dont have a picture but take the slide out and look at the needle there is a hole right beside it drill this hole a little larger and will fix throttle response. do not drill it to big.
funster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #253
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox Pete
Bike has been around for almost 25 years, so it has got to be pretty reliable.
I like the tire sizes for dirt riding and they seem OK for pavement, too.

Trans is close-ratio, and you have to change gearing at the rear sprocket unless you are willing to split the cases to change counter-shaft.
Bike does not have a low enough first gear. (Go to a 55 tooth rear sprocket, minimum...58 teeth will put 2nd where 1st was "stock"....)
Oil cap. is only ONE quart.
If you off-road you NEED chains from brake pedal and toe of shifter to somepalce on the frame so you don't jam a sage bush or sapling in there.
Front fender clearance is so minimal you probalby cannot run ice studs with factory front fender.
George Jetson styling SUCKS.
Factory sprockets and drive chain will wear or stretch and need replacement sooner than they should. (DID is GOOD chain...)
Sprocket/hub bolts are a rattle-fit.
I drilled over-size and file-fit larger grade 5 or 8 SAE bolts & aircraft locknuts.

"Is it worth it?":
We'll have to see....I have just got my T-Dub "hacked" by Dauntless, and have a new, fine LL front end that HAS clearance and won't jam a pebble between tire and fender.
Bike seems to have adequate power w/ 58 to 60 tooth rear sprocket for a light hack, but I don't know for sure, yet.
It IS quiet and reliable and doesn't handle poorly.
I can't swing the $ and time of a URal, as well as the heavier weight, and I have bet my time and paltry "treasure" that the little T-Dub will be all I really NEED.

Time will tell.....
Paradox Pete (pix of my T-Dub are over on the hack forum....)

Here you go Pete

Tork
Old 05-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #254
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,455
Jolly I run solo only - got a set of PP free + ship if you want them. Pretty ruff shape - the 1st owner used it as a beach bike????????
Old 05-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #255
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Talking

Having read one too many threads on just how fun the TW200 is, I broke down yesterday and answered the siren's call: I pick up my new 2009 TW this weekend!

Thank you all for the great info
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote