Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #3091
mrgizmow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I am a Calif. guy and purchased my bike new in Nevada. I think most states bordering Ca. sell the bike with all the Ca. emission stuff. All my DMV really wanted to see was the emissions decal under the air cleaner cover. This it seems confirms the proper hosing is in place. Gerry

Boy, the last time I tried going through snow that deep both me and the bike got much more of a work-out than we bargained for. Maybe the chains made the difference, I was not using mine at the time so I ended up pushing a lot. Gerry
mrgizmow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #3092
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
IIRC this relic was first instituted sometime in the late-70's/ early-80's when Cali first dropped the emissions hammer in a big way. Emissions efficiency was kinda in its infancy (Smog pumps, NOX devices, effed up ignition timing etc.) and Cali cars SUCKED relative to the other 49. New Vettes had like 3 horsepower.

Folks would go ot-of-state and buy a new car that actually ran right, put a few miles on it and bring it back in as a used car.

The 7500 mile rule was instituted on the bureaucratic precept that forcing someone to put some real miles on the car would discourage that practice. Yet they still offered smog waivers and exemptions to out-of-state cars and trucks with 7500+ miles because after all raiding the wallets of new pilgrims was (and remains) a great revenue stream and will remain so until everyone has left.

The End.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 08:29 AM
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #3093
jamajo
third wheel

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Just got mine back on the road....

I have a build thread for it over on tw200forum
Very cool!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
jamajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #3094
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

I made a dent in the front-to-rear brake conversion. Here's a comparison of the two drums. The front drum is 20mm larger in diameter and the shoes a couple of mm wider than the rears:

This is a rear hub stripped down to be used as a template for clearancing the spoke heads:

The drum needs to be clearanced in the area where the 8 inside spoke heads keep the drum from fully seating in the hub. Minus its spokes the bare hub makes marking the exact location of the holes easier than the grind-and-test-fit drill. The spoke flange will be shaved off the drum itself once the entire swap has been worked out:

I'm gunna play with a few different Yamaha backing plates which share the same brake shoes and axle hole diameter with the TW until I find the one which requires the least work to install on the swingarm brake tab.

This swap was first worked out by Teewee, of Finland using a TW125 backing plate. Tw125's are unobtanium here in the States, so the backing plate from something available here is key to duplicating his swap.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 12:39 AM
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #3095
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
California 7,500 Rule

From my understanding, the 7,500 rule on imported (from another state) vehicle has nothing to do with emissions and is all about keeping the purchase to vehicles local to California. 7,500 applies for all vehicles - autos, motorcycles etc.

Disallowing newly purchased vehicles from nearby states (sometimes with less or no sales tax) to enter CA would "coerce" Californias to buy vehicles in CA (thus giving the state the sales tax and helping local business).

Or so I've been told...
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #3096
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

It began in response to the huge spike in out-of-state purchases which were directly related to the poor performance of Cali-market vehicles at the time. Why would you buy a high performance car here when you could go a state away and gain 80 horsepower? It was that bad. We couldn't even get a manual tranny in a lot of new models at the time and you had to jump the border for that, as well.

The rule had nothing to do with emissions, but during the same timeframe pilgrims moving here from out of state could register their out of state cars here without being subject to the same level of emissions standards as native vehicles. Point being they were dedicated to cleaning up the air so long as it didn't prevent them from fleecing newcomers, and we had buckets of those back then.

Regardless of origin, it be de' law. Things are different now. The air got cleaner, cars eventually hauled ass again and if they weren't taxing the piss out of us almost no one would even bother going out of state to buy a new car. Nowadays they'd just move to that state, instead.

Now that prsdat is probably regretting having posed a simple question I should apologize and offer by way of explanation the fact thatI'm a recovering axe murderer and the opportunity to present my superfluous and slanted commentary SOMETIMES helps keep me from relapsing.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 12:24 AM
Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #3097
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
I made a dent in the front-to-rear brake conversion. Here's a comparison of the two drums. The front drum is 20mm larger in diameter and the shoes a couple of mm wider than the rears:

This is a rear hub stripped down to be used as a template for clearancing the spoke heads:

The drum needs to be clearanced in the area where the 8 inside spoke heads keep the drum from fully seating in the hub. Minus its spokes the bare hub makes marking the exact location of the holes easier than the grind-and-test-fit drill. The spoke flange will be shaved off the drum itself once the entire swap has been worked out:

I'm gunna play with a few different Yamaha backing plates which share the same brake shoes and axle hole diameter with the TW until I find the one which requires the least work to install on the swingarm brake tab.

This swap was first worked out by Teewee, of Finland using a TW125 backing plate. Tw125's are unobtanium here in the States, so the backing plate from something available here is key to duplicating his swap.
great write up so far!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #3098
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Hey Lizrdbrth, keep that brake mod coming. And as an aside on that
7500 mile importation thing......I thought that was for new vehicles.
As it happened several years ago, I got dinged for $350 when I imported
a vehicle from Texas(another country, or so it would seem). I kept the
little brochuer explaining that it had nothing to do with emissions, but
(to paraphrase since I can't recall the exact quote) since the vehicle I
was bringing in, from another state did not have the same emission control
devices as California vehicles, it would not use as much fuel( eg got better
gas mileage) and therefore I would not be paying my fair share of taxes
per gallon. !!!!! I got a rebate a couple of years ago when they dinged a
lawyer to took it to heart and court and won a class action suit. Sorry for
all this hijack, back to our original programing.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:25 PM   #3099
HomemadeBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Cali DMV issues

MrGizmo, you have solved my DMV issue. I didn't know where that emission sticker was located till you mentioned it. Evidently, all I need to do is bring the bike back to the AAA office with the sticker and I'll be good to go. I was trying to avoid going to the DMV (and waiting) if I could help it. Thanks for all the advice that was offered. I really appreciated the most excellent phone conversation with LizardBreath. Sounds like I have some good TDub dudes right here in my 'hood.........Lakeside, SoCal. We're considered the North County of East County.......at least compared with El Cajon!!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #3100
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #3101
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

My high-rent jig for marking the holes. Magnetic welding square as a drill guide. Nuttin' but high tech up in heah. Don't try this at home:

Holes marked:

Spoke heads clearanced.. Not much needed here as long as you've marked it accurately:

Drum torqued to hub with old spokes. All swing free. Good to go:

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 08:34 PM
Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #3102
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
HiTech tools only allow the talented to do things a little quicker. I recall
pictures of Pakistani's building AK's with nothing more than hand drills,
chisels, hammers and files.

Lookin' good Lizrdbrth.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #3103
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
... with nothing more than hand drills,
chisels, hammers and files.
The rear hub certainly looks as if it was made in a cave. You could be onto something.

Lest anyone should think that I'm capable of having an original thought, here's the prior art as done by TeeWee, if you wanna see where this is going:

http://tw200forum.com/forums/86422/ShowPost.aspx#86422

The only meaningful difficulties I'm gunna have to work out are modifying a domestically available backing plate. I have an XT350 plate that looks like a viable candidate. The TTR225 (not XT) may also be viable along with few others. Anything which shares the same axle hole and shoe sizes could probably be made to work. Just takes a lot of digging.

Unfortunately you cant just use the stock TW front backing plate for this conversion. The slot is too wide and there isn't tnough meat surrounding it to safely engage the swingarm tab. The axle hole is smaller as well. Redrilling it would be a no-brainer for a machinist, but keeping it perfectly centered could be bit iffy for the home caveman.

I'm sure most people can take it from here. Swallow hard, grind the swingarm brake tab to suit your backing plate, make a new right spacer. Done.

But I have two sets of wheels and MTWS. If I have to grind the brake tab too short then all my wheels and swingarms will have to be modified for bigger brakes since the tab will no longer safely engage the slot in a stock backing plate. I'm gunna investigate more choices in hopes of finding a backing plate which will permit deepening the slot rather than grinding the tab. No need to be as anal if you only have one TW.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 11:24 AM
Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #3104
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Tired of workin so much... Cabin Fever set in and I needed to take a ride!

The snow was too deep to make it to the summit of our local hills, but I had fun!!

I really needed that little break!! Ready to get some work done now!!!

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #3105
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
The rear hub certainly looks as if it was made in a cave. You could be onto something.

Lest anyone should think that I'm capable of having an original thought, here's the prior art as done by TeeWee, if you wanna see where this is going:

http://tw200forum.com/forums/86422/ShowPost.aspx#86422

The only meaningful difficulties I'm gunna have to work out are modifying a domestically available backing plate. I have an XT350 plate that looks like a viable candidate. The TTR225 (not XT) may also be viable along with few others. Anything which shares the same axle hole and shoe sizes could probably be made to work. Just takes a lot of digging.

Unfortunately you cant just use the stock TW front backing plate for this conversion. The slot is too wide and there isn't tnough meat surrounding it to safely engage the swingarm tab. The axle hole is smaller as well. Redrilling it would be a no-brainer for a machinist, but keeping it perfectly centered could be bit iffy for the home caveman.

I'm sure most people can take it from here. Swallow hard, grind the swingarm brake tab to suit your backing plate, make a new right spacer. Done.

But I have two sets of wheels and MTWS. If I have to grind the brake tab too short then all my wheels and swingarms will have to be modified for bigger brakes since the tab will no longer safely engage the slot in a stock backing plate. I'm gunna investigate more choices in hopes of finding a backing plate which will permit deepening the slot rather than grinding the tab. No need to be as anal if you only have one TW.
do you need your old tw brake drum? mine is worn pretty bad and looking for a replacement.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote