ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #3151
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GapRunr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: East TN / Smokies
Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I just bought an XT225 and it is very cold blooded, which it seems is very common for this bike. How is the TW in this respect?
We've got both a TW and an XT225 in our garage. The TW isn't as cold blooded as the TW. Have you ever had problems starting the XT after it has been sitting for more than a few days? They don't seem to do well with old gas in the float bowl. When we haven't used the XT in a while, we tip it over till fuel flows out the overflow for a few seconds, stand it up, and then it fires right up.
__________________
GapRunr
07 R1200GSA - 81 R80g/s - 88 Hawk GT - 06 TW200 SuperDuper Tenere
GapRunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #3152
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I just bought an XT225 and it is very cold blooded, which it seems is very common for this bike. How is the TW in this respect?
I used to teach motorcycle rider safety for the state of Idaho. We had twenty motorcycles at each training location for the beginner's safety course. At my home location we had about six TW200 motorcycles, and three XT225 motorcycles among the total of twenty bikes. The TW200 bikes always started up as easily as any of the others. The XT225 bikes were notoriously cold blooded, and were always a chore to start after sitting for a few days. Draining the carburetor's fuel bowl was one of the routines we employed to help get the XT225 motorcycles started.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #3153
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer
 
Yooper_Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Da UP, eh! (Michigan)
Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
....."Bob" was your wifes TW install with OEM bars?.
Yep...her bars are stock...unless you count the custom "bends" she has put in them thru multiple spectacular get-offs!
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #3154
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I used to teach motorcycle rider safety for the state of Idaho. We had twenty motorcycles at each training location for the beginner's safety course. At my home location we had about six TW200 motorcycles, and three XT225 motorcycles among the total of twenty bikes. The TW200 bikes always started up as easily as any of the others. The XT225 bikes were notoriously cold blooded, and were always a chore to start after sitting for a few days. Draining the carburetor's fuel bowl was one of the routines we employed to help get the XT225 motorcycles started.

Spud
My XT250 is like this as well in the Winter. What I did to "fix" it was turn off the petcock and let it run out of gas. When you turn the gas back on, it starts right up.
__________________
Yellow 2006 Suzuki DR650
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #3155
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809

well i got 7,000 miles out of a rear tw tire on my 50hp bike. i could have gone more but didnt want to push my luck!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #3156
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809

whats even better is running a 4.60x18 shinko244 tire on my frontend. it has 7,600 miles and has a ton of life left. i changed it out while i did the rear tire so i can try the 4.10 front with smaller knobbies.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #3157
Solomoriah
likes the back roads
 
Solomoriah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Upper Right-Hand Corner of Missouri
Oddometer: 387
I've got the 4.60 Shinko on the front, but haven't ridden enough since I put it on to know if I like it or not.
__________________
And that road goes on and on into the sunset
And my destiny is bound to move me on
My website: gonnerman.org
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #3158
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah View Post
I've got the 4.60 Shinko on the front, but haven't ridden enough since I put it on to know if I like it or not.
on my heavy bike the shinko worked great! i did switch it around at about 4 thousand miles since it was starting to cup a little then it leveled the knobs back out at around 7,000 miles. i think it would have gone a easy 10,000 miles. not bad for a 40 dollar tire!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #3159
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
have a worn tw rear brake drum for sale in the ads section for anyone looking to experiment with brakes. maybe weld a disc to it?
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #3160
frog13
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog13's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Egads! Can you post a few links, Frog?

I added heated grips to my motorcycle last fall, and my Shorai battery is still working great.

Spud
I'll try and find the thread/post....it may have also been in TW200discussion forum...in fact, I'm confident it is.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #3161
frog13
Beastly Adventurer
 
frog13's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 1,227
Spud,go to the TW200 discussion forum....go to the technical thread,then too a post of "charging system"....you'll see a photo there.....I can't remember the other forums that I've read this same incident from.....this is not a Shorai "virus" I'm introducing here....just a FYI thing for riders?.I do not know if the malfunctions are from over loaded systems,regulators/rectifiers or what?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #3162
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Oddometer: 451
Just for grins, I fitted a Dart Flyscreen today:

xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #3163
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Spud,go to the TW200 discussion forum....go to the technical thread,then too a post of "charging system"....you'll see a photo there.....I can't remember the other forums that I've read this same incident from.....this is not a Shorai "virus" I'm introducing here....just a FYI thing for riders?.I do not know if the malfunctions are from over loaded systems,regulators/rectifiers or what?.
Thanks for providing directions to the link, Frog.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #3164
ducnek
Misadventurer
 
ducnek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Rooster Poot Tennessee
Oddometer: 982
Is anyone using the Happy Trails soft sided Mojave Kit on a TW?

I like the looks of these and they are on sale

They claim that they are water/dust proof

__________________
Calmer than you are.
ducnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #3165
AtlasExp
beer me
 
AtlasExp's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
Is anyone using the Happy Trails soft sided Mojave Kit on a TW?

I like the looks of these and they are on sale

They claim that they are water/dust proof
May be this one? http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/Wo...bags-M1015.htm


http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...ddle_bags.html
__________________
Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E and KLR650 and DR650: http://www.moto-racks.com/ Find me on Instagram " ahtoxa007 "
AtlasExp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014