Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #3151
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I just bought an XT225 and it is very cold blooded, which it seems is very common for this bike. How is the TW in this respect?
We've got both a TW and an XT225 in our garage. The TW isn't as cold blooded as the TW. Have you ever had problems starting the XT after it has been sitting for more than a few days? They don't seem to do well with old gas in the float bowl. When we haven't used the XT in a while, we tip it over till fuel flows out the overflow for a few seconds, stand it up, and then it fires right up.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #3152
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
I just bought an XT225 and it is very cold blooded, which it seems is very common for this bike. How is the TW in this respect?
I used to teach motorcycle rider safety for the state of Idaho. We had twenty motorcycles at each training location for the beginner's safety course. At my home location we had about six TW200 motorcycles, and three XT225 motorcycles among the total of twenty bikes. The TW200 bikes always started up as easily as any of the others. The XT225 bikes were notoriously cold blooded, and were always a chore to start after sitting for a few days. Draining the carburetor's fuel bowl was one of the routines we employed to help get the XT225 motorcycles started.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #3153
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
....."Bob" was your wifes TW install with OEM bars?.
Yep...her bars are stock...unless you count the custom "bends" she has put in them thru multiple spectacular get-offs!
Yooper_Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #3154
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I used to teach motorcycle rider safety for the state of Idaho. We had twenty motorcycles at each training location for the beginner's safety course. At my home location we had about six TW200 motorcycles, and three XT225 motorcycles among the total of twenty bikes. The TW200 bikes always started up as easily as any of the others. The XT225 bikes were notoriously cold blooded, and were always a chore to start after sitting for a few days. Draining the carburetor's fuel bowl was one of the routines we employed to help get the XT225 motorcycles started.

Spud
My XT250 is like this as well in the Winter. What I did to "fix" it was turn off the petcock and let it run out of gas. When you turn the gas back on, it starts right up.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #3155
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809

well i got 7,000 miles out of a rear tw tire on my 50hp bike. i could have gone more but didnt want to push my luck!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #3156
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

whats even better is running a 4.60x18 shinko244 tire on my frontend. it has 7,600 miles and has a ton of life left. i changed it out while i did the rear tire so i can try the 4.10 front with smaller knobbies.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #3157
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
I've got the 4.60 Shinko on the front, but haven't ridden enough since I put it on to know if I like it or not.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #3158
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah View Post
I've got the 4.60 Shinko on the front, but haven't ridden enough since I put it on to know if I like it or not.
on my heavy bike the shinko worked great! i did switch it around at about 4 thousand miles since it was starting to cup a little then it leveled the knobs back out at around 7,000 miles. i think it would have gone a easy 10,000 miles. not bad for a 40 dollar tire!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #3159
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

have a worn tw rear brake drum for sale in the ads section for anyone looking to experiment with brakes. maybe weld a disc to it?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #3160
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Egads! Can you post a few links, Frog?

I added heated grips to my motorcycle last fall, and my Shorai battery is still working great.

Spud
I'll try and find the thread/post....it may have also been in TW200discussion forum...in fact, I'm confident it is.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #3161
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Spud,go to the TW200 discussion forum....go to the technical thread,then too a post of "charging system"....you'll see a photo there.....I can't remember the other forums that I've read this same incident from.....this is not a Shorai "virus" I'm introducing here....just a FYI thing for riders?.I do not know if the malfunctions are from over loaded systems,regulators/rectifiers or what?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #3162
xaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Just for grins, I fitted a Dart Flyscreen today:

xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #3163
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Spud,go to the TW200 discussion forum....go to the technical thread,then too a post of "charging system"....you'll see a photo there.....I can't remember the other forums that I've read this same incident from.....this is not a Shorai "virus" I'm introducing here....just a FYI thing for riders?.I do not know if the malfunctions are from over loaded systems,regulators/rectifiers or what?.
Thanks for providing directions to the link, Frog.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #3164
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 982
Is anyone using the Happy Trails soft sided Mojave Kit on a TW?

I like the looks of these and they are on sale

They claim that they are water/dust proof

Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #3165
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek View Post
Is anyone using the Happy Trails soft sided Mojave Kit on a TW?

I like the looks of these and they are on sale

They claim that they are water/dust proof
May be this one? http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/Wo...bags-M1015.htm

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...ddle_bags.html