seantx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #3407
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantx View Post
Have you laced wheels before?
yea i have probably done a few dozen wheels. easy to do after you do a few.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #3408
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Thumb Paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post

all laced and trued. i also welded both sides of the hubs for extra strength.
What paint did you use on the hub?
Looks a bit like Hammertite (?) silver.
The wheel looks great!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #3409
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
What paint did you use on the hub?
Looks a bit like Hammertite (?) silver.
The wheel looks great!
i used some left over dark charcoal grey automotive urethane single stage paint. i wanted to go with something close to the grime color that gets all over the stock silver hub so it doesnt look so bad when dirty.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #3410
seantx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
yea i have probably done a few dozen wheels. easy to do after you do a few.
Was hoping you would say no.

Seems intimidating to someone that has never done it before.
seantx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #3411
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantx View Post
Was hoping you would say no.

Seems intimidating to someone that has never done it before.
yea the first one i did was intimidating, it took me about an hour to figure out the pattern and lace the wheel. then another hour or so to get the wheel semi true or good enough to run it on my bike. after that it took less and less time and it was easy. just take a pic of the wheel before you tear it apart so you can see the spoke pattern. truing the wheel takes time to get it real true. now i can lace a wheel in about ten minutes and have it super true in about another ten minutes. i think there are videos on youtube that show the correct way to lace a wheel. the tw wheel is the first wheel i have done with three different length spokes but if you look at the hub its easy to figure out. the smaller side or sprocket side of the hub takes the long spokes and on the bigger diameter drum side of the hub takes the shorter spokes and if you look at the drum side hub holes they are staggered so the holes closest to the center of the hub take the longer of the shorter spokes and the holes farther out take the shorter of the shorter spokes.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #3412
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
yea the first one i did was intimidating, it took me about an hour to figure out the pattern and lace the wheel. then another hour or so to get the wheel semi true or good enough to run it on my bike. after that it took less and less time and it was easy. just take a pic of the wheel before you tear it apart so you can see the spoke pattern. truing the wheel takes time to get it real true. now i can lace a wheel in about ten minutes and have it super true in about another ten minutes. i think there are videos on youtube that show the correct way to lace a wheel. the tw wheel is the first wheel i have done with three different length spokes but if you look at the hub its easy to figure out. the smaller side or sprocket side of the hub takes the long spokes and on the bigger diameter drum side of the hub takes the shorter spokes and if you look at the drum side hub holes they are staggered so the holes closest to the center of the hub take the longer of the shorter spokes and the holes farther out take the shorter of the shorter spokes.
maybe try the wheel yourself and if you cant do it or give up just take it to a shop, they usually charge around 45 to 60 bucks to do a wheel around here.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #3413
Kwizard
Conservative

Oddometer: 20
Sprocket choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
Howdy GapRunr,
Most of my comments are serious. My jokes are usually obvious(I hope). I've got a pretty good running TW. It should; what with all the money I've thrown at it. I'm going to put a set of 2.75X18's on it; which should bring a lot of weight off. I've got an alloy tank, and fiberglass racing seat to put on it, along with some rearsets, and clamp-on's to add. It's got a high compression Wiseco piston with a fresh bore and hone, Webb cam, Dial-a-Jet, FMF pipe, a Barrett clutch to handle all this horsepower(this is a joke GapRunr), a 3" swingarm extension, new All-Balls bearings/seals and grease pack all around. I've dialed the carb in with needle and pilot jet changes, opened up the airbox, and put a new high flow air-filter in. I'm going to make my runs using some racing fuel to offset the altitude changes. Synthetic lubricants all around. I've got to get some emulators, then rebuild the front forks, and I also need a steering stabilizer. I can't make myself spend $400 for a stabilizer. That just seems ridiculous. So; with that said: I've still got to play with the gearing. It's my plan to stay with the 14 front, and go as small as it will handle with the rear; while only using the first four gears so as not to put it in an overdrive condition. If y'all have any thoughts; I'ld appreciate your input.
Hey Smalls, any luck on finding out about that sprocket?
I've only got a month left, and much to do yet. I have a goal of a 90mph run. Hey; a guy can dream can't he.��
Any of you guys know how to hook up a tach? I've got an old 70's 80's Nippon Seiki non cable tach. It's got three wires. One for ground, one for +ign(not exactly sure what that means), and one that I don't have a clue(lights maybe?).
Ok people; I've never really gotten a definitive answer to my questions. So...................; let's say you've got the worlds best running TW200, and you wanted to go as fast as it will possibly go; what sprockets would you put on it?
Also; what other model of Yamaha uses te same rear sprockets as the TW200?
Come on guys; I really need your help. I've only got a little over two weeks to get my bike ready for the Speed Trials at el Mirage in mid May. HELP! PLEASE! Ask a friend if you don't know. PLEASE HELP ME!
I also need to know how to hook up that tach I mentioned.
💩😹👧😿😬😢😂😢😭😪😰😓😩😡😤😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄
Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #3414
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
My wife's bike has the base gasket leak...ugh.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #3415
HomemadeBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Back from the mountains with TW thoughts

Hey All, I just returned from a week of messing around on my mighty T-dub up in the White, the Inyos, and the mountains of the Eastern Sierra. Here are some TW thoughts after my first real opportunity to ride this little blaster. Never has five mph been so much fun.....or twenty on the dirt. Or 65 on the pavement wringing that poor little Trail Wring's neck like a Thanksgiving turkey. Camping for free at Alabama Hills as well as up at Grandview CG in the White Mountains, combined with 70 miles per gallon, made the trip in my RV damn near free ('course the mileage in the Winnebago varied).

I did get turned back on a couple of rides due to a combo of measly horsepower, lack of grip, and riding solo. Sometimes the better part of valor is retreating back to camp. I have a personal rule that I don't want to have to walk back to the pavement any more than a half marathon. I've got a Shinko TrailMaster that's almost new up front, and a half-worn Bridgestone TrailWing on the rear. I ran all week with both tires aired at the manufacturer's spec of 16 lbs. My biggest complaint is the front end washout in the soft stuff. Is there a solution or part solution for that? Also, more grip going up the steep inclines was problematic. On the pavement grip was absolutely NO Problem. I felt like Ricky Racer with my 14-hp and unlimited grip. I think everyone's fantasy would be this little Yamaha package with about 20 horsepower. Still, for something that fits on a trailer hitch rack, what's not to really like?

I'm really starting to think about adding the Clark tank because range is a problem if one gets lost out day riding (and I tend to resemble that remark). I'm also thinking a Roto-pax for water could be a lifesaver. A riding buddy would be prudent, as well, but I do like to fiddle-f#&k around so I would probably be a pain in the ass to ride with. I managed to throw the little-bike-that-could down into some soft sand real hard. The stout FastWay handguard/backbones kept the controls intact but not the glass in the right side mirror. Has anyone replaced just the glass in their stock mirror? Or does anyone have a right side stock mirror (the one that threads on ass-backwards) they want to sell?

Last butt not least is the seat. The burn set in hot and heavy after a couple of hours in the saddle. I was riding along having dreams of a Seat Concepts upgrade. Any recommendations for or again' regarding that product?

So I got on my Tiger 800XC today upon my return home to run some errands and 95 hp felt like 195 after the T-dub. I feel blessed to have such fun toys....and to get any feedback from you guys as well. Homemade Bob
Old 04-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #3416
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small's View Post
I finally posted our Epic Moab ride report. 100+ pics. http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/top...r-ride-report/
If that one doesnt work then try this one
http://tw200forum.com/index.php?show...ckUserAgent=1?
Cool pics!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #3417
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Depends on how much H.P. You are pushing and your weight. Fairly stock bike i would say 44 or 45 rear and a tailwind with a bit of a downhill an she might roll at least 80+. My buddy said there wasnt a brand name on his 40T sprocket. We did count the teeth and it is 40. It would run 72 in fourth then shift to 5th it dropped back to 68. But if you had a downhill and could get it to 72+ then when the ground would level out it would hold it as long as you didnt slow down.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #3418
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomemadeBob View Post
Has anyone replaced just the glass in their stock mirror? Or does anyone have a right side stock mirror (the one that threads on ass-backwards) they want to sell?
You can get an adapter for the right hand mirror that will allow you to use any "normal" threaded mirror.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html

Look about half way down the page, in the right hand column.

You can also get an adapter from Double Take Mirrors....http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

The Double Take mirrors are what I am going to put on my wife's TW200 when (its not "if", its definitely a matter of "when") she break her mirrors AGAIN.

Currently, her bike has only a mirror on the left side (which is all you need anyway), and that is a nice Bombardier ATV mirror which works quite nicely.
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #3419
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomemadeBob View Post
The stout FastWay handguard/backbones kept the controls intact but not the glass in the right side mirror. Has anyone replaced just the glass in their stock mirror? Or does anyone have a right side stock mirror (the one that threads on ass-backwards) they want to sell?

Last butt not least is the seat. The burn set in hot and heavy after a couple of hours in the saddle. I was riding along having dreams of a Seat Concepts upgrade. Any recommendations for or again' regarding that product?
Homemade Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
You can get an adapter for the right hand mirror that will allow you to use any "normal" threaded mirror.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html

Look about half way down the page, in the right hand column.

You can also get an adapter from Double Take Mirrors....http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

The Double Take mirrors are what I am going to put on my wife's TW200 when (its not "if", its definitely a matter of "when") she break her mirrors AGAIN.

Currently, her bike has only a mirror on the left side (which is all you need anyway), and that is a nice Bombardier ATV mirror which works quite nicely.
For right hand mirrors of the LeftHanded persuasion, I have found a wonderful trick - but I'm not sure if it works on all TW's: If your mirror threads into the rear half of a simple two bolt clamp (as did my Ducati and my Suzuki - and my daughter's Yamaha) you can buy one of these Split Clamp Assemblies and just use the mirror threaded part (which is RH thread) in place of the stock part.

Also, I have a Seat Concepts foam/cover on my DR and several long trips w/o regrets. Also put one on a friends XT225 - with no complaints from them other than the gripper cover was very grippy vs the slick stock cover.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #3420
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwizard View Post
Ok people; I've never really gotten a definitive answer to my questions. So...................; let's say you've got the worlds best running TW200, and you wanted to go as fast as it will possibly go; what sprockets would you put on it?
Also; what other model of Yamaha uses te same rear sprockets as the TW200?
Come on guys; I really need your help. I've only got a little over two weeks to get my bike ready for the Speed Trials at el Mirage in mid May. HELP! PLEASE! Ask a friend if you don't know. PLEASE HELP ME!
I also need to know how to hook up that tach I mentioned.
�������������������������������������������� ����
Well,are you wanting the most speed out of a Tw on flat ground?.You have to take in to consideration the loss of torque if you go to small on the rear sprocket.Go to the TW200discussion forum.....they know the TW best and they have a speed / RPM calculator to check your sprocket choices.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote