Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #3421
rickmb3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post

Currently, her bike has only a mirror on the left side (which is all you need anyway), and that is a nice Bombardier ATV mirror which works quite nicely.
How about a set of folding mirrors, ProCycle and Dennis Kirk have them.
rickmb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #3422
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomemadeBob View Post
Hey All, I just returned from a week of messing around on my mighty T-dub up in the White, the Inyos, and the mountains of the Eastern Sierra. Here are some TW thoughts after my first real opportunity to ride this little blaster.

Last butt not least is the seat. The burn set in hot and heavy after a couple of hours in the saddle. I was riding along having dreams of a Seat Concepts upgrade. Any recommendations for or again' regarding that product?
Homemade Bob
I am really happy with tne Seat Concepts on both the TW and the DR.
I highly recommend them.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #3423
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmb3 View Post
How about a set of folding mirrors, ProCycle and Dennis Kirk have them.
Her TW200 has the nice ATV mirror, because she crashed (again) while we were at the Central Rally and broke both mirrors (again).

The only place open that day was the local ATV dealer.....and, like I said, the Bombardier mirror is really nice.

The plan is to get a set of the double take mirrors the next time she wipes out her ATV mirror (which will be the next time she rides).
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #3424
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
I recently installed Ken Sean/Bikemaster, folding, dual sport mirrors on both my Zong, and my CRF250X.

These mirrors fold away nicely into a well protected position. Here's how they look when folded.

I also bought a pair of these mirrors for my XR650L, but I haven't installed them yet.

I really like these mirrors. They offer an excellent view to the rear, and they don't vibrate. Also, you can't beat the price.

However, I suggest you don't buy either the Emgo, or the Baja Designs copies of these mirrors. Make sure you purchase either the Ken Sean, or the Bikemaster mirrors. The Emgo mirror is less expensive, but it is inferior.

The Ken Sean mirrors are larger in diameter, and slightly convex. The Emgo mirrors are flat. Also, the screws which tighten the Emgo mirrors to the stem are threaded directly into plastic, and will loosen. The screws for the Ken Sean mirrors are tightened into a nut which is embedded in the plastic.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/768...olding-mirror/

The Bikemaster mirrors are the exact same mirrors as the Ken Sean mirrors. However, the Ken Sean mirrors come with installation instructions, and the Bikemaster mirrors do not. If you get a better deal on the Bikemaster mirrors, here's a link to the installation instructions.

http://www.sandslave.com/2003wr250f/mirrors/index.html

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #3425
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Her TW200 has the nice ATV mirror, because she crashed (again) while we were at the Central Rally and broke both mirrors (again).

The only place open that day was the local ATV dealer.....and, like I said, the Bombardier mirror is really nice.

The plan is to get a set of the double take mirrors the next time she wipes out her ATV mirror (which will be the next time she rides).
I feel ya. My wife used up all my spare mirrors and turn sigs during the learning curve

My solution (for offroad, at least) was to loosen the locknut and rotate the mirrors inward toward each other, then lock 'em back down. Beats removing them entirely because you don't have to find a safe place to stash them.

In a getoff it's practically impossible for anything to contact the mirrors when they're both pointing inward.

If she complains you can provide her with this misquote from Cannonball:

"Firsta rule offa racing: Whatsa behinda me izza no important".

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 01:16 PM
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #3426
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
I feel ya. My wife used up all my spare mirrors and turn sigs during the learning curve
How many years long does this learning curve last?

She has been riding the bike for 6 years, but continues to crash with great regularity....
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #3427
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:

She has been riding the bike for 6 years, but continues to crash with great regularity....
I got nuttin'

Maybe she spayshull. They like to be spayshull....
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #3428
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:

Find her an MSF dirt course or something similar.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #3429
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
LED Headlight Replacement

Has anybody here replaced their stock headlight (the lens, housing etc) and inserted a custom LED light into the existing bracket?

Something along what advmonster is selling for KTM and Husky dirt bikes but for the TW stock headlight bracket/fairing.

The output of my stock '93 headlight leaves much more to be desired and I'm cautious to overtax the system with too bright of a bulb. LEDs produce great light output, don't use many watts and can still have a low/high setting when using a dimmer.

Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #3430
Dyno
Tilts at Windmills

Oddometer: 1,750
[QUOTE=Goofy Footer;21313478]

The output of my stock '93 headlight leaves much more to be desired and I'm cautious to overtax the system with too bright of a bulb
QUOTE]

I run a 55 watt bulb, a 65 watt heated vest and a led tail light all at once without any issues on a 95.

I have a set of those ADVMonster lights on another bike. Great lighting, but it's a deserted road high beam only. If you plan to use it as your only headlight, you'll be driving oncoming traffic into the ditch. You need a "dipped" pattern for a primary headlight.
Dyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #3431
plumbstraight
plumbstraight

Oddometer: 53
I have heard that someone makes a kit so you can put the same size tire in front that is the size of the rear. Anyone have a handle on that. Would like to take a look at one.
plumbstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #3432
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
I have heard that someone makes a kit so you can put the same size tire in front that is the size of the rear. Anyone have a handle on that. Would like to take a look at one.
There are some archived threads regarding them on the old TW forum.

They were once available from an outfit in Japan, but IIRC the cost to import a kit was upward of USD $2,000.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 10:55 AM
Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #3433
Goofy Footer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
[QUOTE=Dyno;21314813]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post

The output of my stock '93 headlight leaves much more to be desired and I'm cautious to overtax the system with too bright of a bulb
QUOTE]

I run a 55 watt bulb, a 65 watt heated vest and a led tail light all at once without any issues on a 95.

I have a set of those ADVMonster lights on another bike. Great lighting, but it's a deserted road high beam only. If you plan to use it as your only headlight, you'll be driving oncoming traffic into the ditch. You need a "dipped" pattern for a primary headlight.
Great reply thank you. I would not have guessed that the older TWs can handle that many watts. I'd eventually like to install heated grips too.

I would run a dimmer with the LED headlight replacement. While not a "dipped" hi/low beam, I could toggle between a high and low output. For the higher end LEDs the dimmer is a must on road because they are so dang powerful. Rigid Insustries and Baja Designs both have Driving LEDs - half the crees are spot, half are flood.

I may be biased - I run an 8" BD 100w racelight on my DRZe and I still want more light. The TW doesn't need ridiculous output (<60mph riding) but I really want more output than I currently have. My TW is quiet and slow, a brighter light will go a long way in terms of keeping me safe + visible to cars at night.
Goofy Footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #3434
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
I installed Tusk Grip Heaters on my Zong.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...rip+heater+kit

I had previously installed the Tusk Grip Heaters on my Honda XR650L; I liked the Tusk Grip Heaters so much, I decided the Zong needed a set as well.

The Tusk grip heaters use a 2 ohm resistor to reduce the heat generated at the grips on the "low" setting, but the resistor uses just as much energy as the "high" setting. Therefore, I installed an inexpensive, PWM (pulse width modulation) device in place of the resistor. The PWM uses less energy than the resistor, and also allows for fine tuning the heat on the "low" setting. I purchased the lightweight, PWM device on eBay for about $5, delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Light-Di...item1c2c4b4e1d

Using the following wiring diagram, I connected the PWM device to a DPDT (double pole, double throw), center-off switch I bought at Radio Shack.

I mounted the switch on top of my indicator lights, and I mounted the PWM device on top of my speedometer.

I ran a dedicated, fused wire from my battery to power the grip heaters. I also installed a relay, triggered by a power line controlled by the ignition key.

I love heated grips! Even in the summer heated grips are an asset in Idaho. After the sun goes down, it gets cold when you are a mile high, or higher.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 11:33 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #3435
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Laugh Hot hands

Great info Spud!
Thanks for your excellent, informative posts.
With links and all so we can follow where you lead.
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote