Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #3481
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thank you. My Zongshen ZS167FML engine is a faithful copy of the TW200 engine, except for a shorter countershaft. My Teikei MV28 carburetor is virtually identical to the Teikei carb for the the current TW200 bikes, except my Zong uses a single throttle cable. My Zong's air box is virtually the same as the Yamaha air box.

I like the Zong's 37mm, USD forks, which have the same travel as the TW200 forks. My Zong has a superb headlight, and I really like the kick starter backup. I installed an XT225 shock absorber with a stronger shock spring from Cogent Dynamics, so the Zong's suspension is pretty nice.

Spud
i have a pair of rocketa chinese quads for my kids and they beat them to death but they keep going and going with no troubles except for batteries about every two years. the thing that suprises me is the motors on the quads sound so good. they sound super tight and dont make any noises or rattles at all.they sound like a brand new honda still after 5 years of abuse!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #3482
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
i have a pair of rocketa chinese quads for my kids and they beat them to death but they keep going and going with no troubles except for batteries about every two years. the thing that suprises me is the motors on the quads sound so good. they sound super tight and dont make any noises or rattles at all.they sound like a brand new honda still after 5 years of abuse!
Several years ago China surpassed Japan as the largest motorcycle producer in the world. The Chinese have a huge domestic market, but they also sell motorcycles throughout India, the rest of Asia, Latin America, and the rest of the world.

Right now the Chinese are not good engine designers. However, they do manufacture excellent copies of small displacement, air cooled engines. I'm convinced Zongshen manufactured engines for Yamaha. Even in the Third World, no one stays in business for long manufacturing motor vehicles with bad motors.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #3483
Proud Highway
one hand waving free

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Where are you located in the Cache Valley? Have you ridden the Highline Trail?
Logan.

Not familiar with Highline.

I recently acquired a TW. The more I ride it the more it makes me think it could be used for the UTBDR-type ride.

Proud Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #3484
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Highway View Post
Logan.

Not familiar with Highline.

I recently acquired a TW. The more I ride it the more it makes me think it could be used for the UTBDR-type ride.
Highline Drive starts in Logan Canyon, about half way to Bear Lake. You can ride dirt all the way to either Grace, or Soda Springs, Idaho. You might enjoy reading from post #19 in the following thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=849601&page=2

I'm not familiar with the UTBDR ride, but the web page says it will accomodate 4X4 vehicles and adventure motorcycles.

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR

Therefore, I think your TW200 would do a very good job.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #3485
ebbanflood
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 299
My Daughters first ride

Her first day riding since her Z50! She is a natural with the clutch. What a great day!
ebbanflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #3486
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Several years ago China surpassed Japan as the largest motorcycle producer in the world. The Chinese have a huge domestic market, but they also sell motorcycles throughout India, the rest of Asia, Latin America, and the rest of the world.

Right now the Chinese are not good engine designers. However, they do manufacture excellent copies of small displacement, air cooled engines. I'm convinced Zongshen manufactured engines for Yamaha. Even in the Third World, no one stays in business for long manufacturing motor vehicles with bad motors.

Spud
thats good to know. thanks spud!
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #3487
RingSteel
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I kinda wish Zongshen still produced them.
RingSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #3488
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
I'm amazed with the service Spud Rider is getting from his Zongchen dual sport. I am looking at some Chinese built bikes right now. When he bought his prices were very reasonable. They have certainly gone up.
Qlink has a nice 200cc dual sport, but the 2013s are selling for $2795 (as at J P Motorsports San Diego). I am considering a TMEC 200. I can get a new one delivered to Hilo Hawaii (and shipping to Hawaii is spendy) for like $2049. I could buy a new TW200 here, but it would run about $5000.
Many of the current Chinese built engines are pushrod models. I have nothing against a pushrod engine. Easy valve adjustments, easy to pull the cylinder head and cylinder should the need ever arise. No cam chain and tensioner mechanism to worry about. Many Japanese bikes still have problems with cam chain tensioners. Suzuki DRZ400 engines have. Suzuki S40/Savage engines have. Kawasaki has had problems with the balancer tensioners on the KLR650 engines. Kawasaki finally fixed the balancer tensioner, but still use a very weak spring to actuate it.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #3489
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingSteel View Post
I kinda wish Zongshen still produced them.
I'm convinced Zongshen had a manufacturing agreement with Yamaha, and Yamaha killed the production of my ZS200GY-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
I'm amazed with the service Spud Rider is getting from his Zongchen dual sport. I am looking at some Chinese built bikes right now. When he bought his prices were very reasonable. They have certainly gone up.
Qlink has a nice 200cc dual sport, but the 2013s are selling for $2795 (as at J P Motorsports San Diego). I am considering a TMEC 200. I can get a new one delivered to Hilo Hawaii (and shipping to Hawaii is spendy) for like $2049. I could buy a new TW200 here, but it would run about $5000.
Many of the current Chinese built engines are pushrod models. I have nothing against a pushrod engine. Easy valve adjustments, easy to pull the cylinder head and cylinder should the need ever arise. No cam chain and tensioner mechanism to worry about. Many Japanese bikes still have problems with cam chain tensioners. Suzuki DRZ400 engines have. Suzuki S40/Savage engines have. Kawasaki has had problems with the balancer tensioners on the KLR650 engines. Kawasaki finally fixed the balancer tensioner, but still use a very weak spring to actuate it.
You raise several interesting, valid points. The Chinese are selling many motorcycles in Latin America, and elsewhere, because consumers face the same situation you do in Hawaii. The Chinese bikes have proven to be reliable and will meet the needs of the consumers, while the Japanese bikes are 2-3 times as expensive.

In 2008 the Chinese had a large surplus inventory of motorcycles they had exported to the United States, and could not sell. I bought my new, in-the-crate, Zongshen 200GY-2 for $950. At that price it was an exceptional value. The bike had 0.1 mile on the odometer. However, the surplus inventory is now long gone, the Chinese are exporting fewer bikes to the United States, and the prices have risen.

Purchasing a Chinese motorcycle makes excellent sense for you in Hawaii. However, the situation in the contiguous United States is quite different. One can find many good deals for slightly used, low-priced, Japanese motorcycles in the conterminous United States. Now that the surplus Chinese inventory is gone, these used, Japanese bikes represent a better value than the new, overpriced bikes being imported from China.

Spud
Old 05-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #3490
plumbstraight
plumbstraight

Oddometer: 52
I was in Haiti just after the earthquake. They have small bikes running around like bees. They were 4stroke and all were under 200cc. Did see one big Vtwin, but that was rare. The thing about them was that they had really nice racks on them. Seems that they were oem as they all had them. Would pack two, and as many kids as the woman could hold onto plus groceries.
plumbstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #3491
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Since you Zongchen is going strong, keep going.

However, I believe your bike is the exception, more then the rule. I wrench in a motorcycle shop. The only shop in the area that is willing to work on the Chinese bikes.
The build quality on the Chinese stuff is horrible. Plastic that cracks and brakes. Aluminium that is so poor, bolts strip out. Missing parts like axles spacers for the wheels. After 2 years, any rubber parts have become hard, brittle, and started to crack, including the fuel lines. I hate taking them on test drives as they are death traps.
The build quality in the motors is nasty. I have yet to see a scooter come in the shop with over 5,000 miles on it. The motors seem to develop major problems before that mileage. Oil pump failures, rod knock is popular.

We had a Chinese street bike in last month. It had a clone of the TW200 motor, punched out to 250cc with a different looking head. It was not gong to make it past 8,000 miles with that rod knock it had.

If someone gave me a Chinese bike, I would sell it as soon as I could. My beat to death 1989 TW200 will outlast all of them.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #3492
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not promoting my particular motorcycle, or Chinese motorcycles in general. In fact, Zongshen no longer manufactures my ZS200GY-2. However, it's important to note, not all Chinese motorcycles are created equal.

In regards to the problems you mentioned, I will state my experience with my particular bike. The plastic used on most Chinese dirt bikes is ABS, and it is definitely fragile. However, the stock fender and lower side covers on my Zongshen 200GY-2 are manufactured from a very durable plastic. The upper side covers on my bike are ABS, but I trimmed them back, and they are not vulnerable.

My Zong doesn't have aluminum parts. My bike didn't come with any missing parts.

I have never had a single bolt strip on my motorcycle. I lost one bolt from my luggage rack. After about 40,000 miles, I lost one of the ignition switch bolts. I haven't lost another bolt in 56,000 miles.

I have never had any of the rubber parts on my bike become hard, brittle, or crack, including the inner tubes and the fuel lines.

Far from being a death trap, I have ridden my bike to most of the local mountaintops. I have also toured with my Zong throughout Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana.

My Zongshen engine is manufactured as well as the engine in any TW200, and this engine has proven to be just as reliable for me. When it was convenient, I have used Yamaha engine parts in my Zong. I haven't noticed any difference between the Zongshen and Yamaha engine parts.

I definitely enjoy the 37mm UDS forks on my Zong. I also appreciate having the backup kick starter as standard equipment. I also enjoy the strong subframe and heavy-duty luggage rack which came with my ZS200GY-2.

I am also familiar with Japanese motorcycles; I own a 2005 Honda XR650L, a 2004 Honda CRF250X, and a 1998 Kawasaki KDX220. I am well aware the Yamaha TW200 is a great motorcycle. I'm very happy my Zongshen 200GY-2 has such a well manufactured, faithful copy of the TW200 engine. I hope everyone on this thread has as much fun riding his TW200 as I have had riding my Zong.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 10:34 AM
Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #3493
plumbstraight
plumbstraight

Oddometer: 52
It has two wheels, gets you there and back, what is the zong problem? Seems like a reliable bike for you.
plumbstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #3494
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Anyone near WV looking for a TW?

My wife learned how to ride on this bike, and I'd like to get her an XT225 that has just popped up down here on my local Craigslist. The bike is in Pocahontas County at the family's cabin, so it'd be much easier to sell out there rather than bring the bike home and sell it here.

It's a 2001 Yamaha TW200 with about 11k miles. About as pretty as a mule, but a much better ride than one. Fresh battery installed this past weekend.

Willing to sell for the same deal I got on it this past fall before I spent some money on the battery and rear brake pads that were replaced, $900.

This bike is a blast, you realistically can not get it stuck, and if by some chance you do, you just pick it up by the rack and reset it somewhere else. Great around the camp/farm bike, or take it out on the road, but I'd avoid the superslab. Registered here in VA.

Pics*:

Edit: I also just ordered a set of used blue/orange plastics from a 1995 TW200 so those will come with it as well.

*Disclaimer:Wife not included.

Falcon86 screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 01:59 PM
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #3495
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
.......but I'd avoid the highway obviously.
Huh?????
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote