Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #3496
Falcon86
I just work here.

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth View Post
Huh?????
Fixed for you.

Highway sure, but superslab where everyone's doing 80, no thanks.
Falcon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #3497
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
Fixed for you.

Highway sure, but superslab where everyone's doing 80, no thanks.
Sorry. I know you just came in here looking to sell someone a nice bike and I'm certainly not intending to beat up on you, but it's sort of a minor mission of mine to dispell this thinking. Most of the dualsports in this displacement class are prettty much neck-and-neck out on the slab and the overall difference amoung them is generally only going to amount to a acoupleothree mph, tops.

Having ridden the snot out of both I would just like to suggest that if you're "upgrading" her with the intent of better highway suitability you're making what essentially amounts to a lateral move, with only the very slightest nod in favor of the XT.

Just saying that if a TW doesn't meet your criteria for speed or margin of safety then neither will an XT.

Iron Butt Saddlesore 1,000, TW200. Around 800 of these miles on superslab, the last 200 or so on state highways. and all of them mixing it up with "everyone doing 80" . I understand that this sort of thing isn't gunna be everyone's cup of tea, but if on an XT225 I could have shaved a whopping 10 minutes or so from this time:

Vacation. Combination of superslab, dirt and Route 66 and covering several mountain passes over 8,000 feet. Zero difference between the two when in "vacation" mode.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 03:20 PM
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #3498
Falcon86
I just work here.

I've owned both and am just going by my experience, no biggie.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #3499
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon86 View Post
I've owned both and am just going by my experience, no biggie.
Ditto. Different strokes. If I thought for a milisecond that my wife would be safer on one than another that is certainly the way I'd go, as well.

Know-it-all Soapbox closed for the rest of today.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 03:39 PM
Old 05-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #3500
Falcon86
I just work here.

Quote:
Ditto. Different strokes. If I thought for a milisecond that my wife would be safer on one then that is certainly the way I'd go, as well.

Know-it-all Soapbox closed for the rest of today.
That said, kudos for that accomplishment on the TW. Pretty gnarly if you ask me. We're probably at opposite ends of comfort spectrum on the super slab. I don't even like long stretches of superslab on my DRZ.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #3501
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,088
Jeeze, that's a great price. I wish I had the money to throw at you for it.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #3502
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by assquatch20 View Post
Jeeze, that's a great price. I wish I had the money to throw at you for it.
Yeah, no kidding. If I was "near WV" I'd buy it for my wife.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #3503
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,855
Holy crap...in WA that would be a $2000 bike almost. Never seen a disc brake model for that price.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #3504
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Sorry. I know you just came in here looking to sell someone a nice bike and I'm certainly not intending to beat up on you, but it's sort of a minor mission of mine to dispell this thinking. Most of the dualsports in this displacement class are prettty much neck-and-neck out on the slab and the overall difference amoung them is generally only going to amount to a acoupleothree mph, tops.

Having ridden the snot out of both I would just like to suggest that if you're "upgrading" her with the intent of better highway suitability you're making what essentially amounts to a lateral move, with only the very slightest nod in favor of the XT.

Just saying that if a TW doesn't meet your criteria for speed or margin of safety then neither will an XT.

Iron Butt Saddlesore 1,000, TW200. Around 800 of these miles on superslab, the last 200 or so on state highways. and all of them mixing it up with "everyone doing 80" . I understand that this sort of thing isn't gunna be everyone's cup of tea, but if on an XT225 I could have shaved a whopping 10 minutes or so from this time:

Vacation. Combination of superslab, dirt and Route 66 and covering several mountain passes over 8,000 feet. Zero difference between the two when in "vacation" mode.

What gear combo are you running? I run a 14-49 and was thinking about going to 14-47 to gain a bit more on top.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #3505
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Stock 14/50 with the stock tire. Lots of guys claim success with taller gearing but in my experience you lose so much in headwinds and uphill that I never found it worthwhile and your AVERAGE speed will be lower.

I'm guessing those in the great, flat places and coastal areas without a lot of changes in elevation would see some benefit.

I run 14/55 with the taller, heavier ATV tire. It restores rpm to roughly eqivalent to the 14/50, stock tire combo, plus a couple hundred extra rpm to compensate for power loss due to the added rotating mass.

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 10:25 PM
Old 05-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #3506
Solomoriah
likes the back roads

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
I'm guessing those in the great, flat places and coastal areas without a lot of changes in elevation would see some benefit.
I live in an area of river hills; flat spots are noteworthy. I've been running 14/47 since about Christmas 2011, with no issues. But I spend relatively little time on the highway, and headwinds aren't usually an issue.

Raising the gearing improved my mileage and made 1st gear more useful to me.
Solomoriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #3507
Lizrdbrth
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomoriah View Post
I live in an area of river hills; flat spots are noteworthy. I've been running 14/47 since about Christmas 2011, with no issues. But I spend relatively little time on the highway, and headwinds aren't usually an issue.

Raising the gearing improved my mileage and made 1st gear more useful to me.
As I said, it seems to work for some, and I'll even allow that it will be of benefit over certain quite vast sections of the U.S. if you never leave them. I think Paebr was asking about distance work and since so few of us seem to be using the bike for that I thought it might be useful to report my experiences. It seems counterintuitive, but gearing that works well or enhances your commute or even gearing that works really well in all conditions within a 200 mile radius of home can quickly become a liability on a cross-country ride.

Another factor that some forget to consider is that on a long trip you'll typically also be toting considerably more weight around in the form of clothing, gear, food, tools, extra fuel and such than you will when closer to home.

This is an elevation track from a roadtrip on Interstate 40 from my home in southern Cal to somewhere near Abuquerque, a distance of roughly 600 miles. The GPS doesn't track the descents. Elevation changes range from a bit above sea level to 8,000 feet or higher, depending on route. You can't possibly jet for this, so you're going to have long periods of greatly diminished horsepower on the ascents, so you gotta gear with goal of not doing 40mph on a 25 mile ascent at the expense of the ability to maintain 65 on the flats. A more realistic goal to shoot for is probably somewhere near a 55mph average over all conditions. It's "Tortoise vs. Hare" thinking. Slower overall, but as steady as possible :

Lizrdbrth screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 08:58 AM
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #3508
plumbstraight
plumbstraight

Oddometer: 53
made a small adjustment on my seat. I did a remodel and put a 1500 kawasaki seat on my tw. It sat a bit down towards the front. I had taken the rubber pads off when I put it on at the time. I took it back off and put two of them back on in front lifting it an inch. Rides much better. If you ride single I recommend trying this setup. Vibration is waaaaaaaay down and with a saddle that wide it sure makes for a much more comfortable ride for distances.
plumbstraight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:48 AM   #3509
Uwdlk2no
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Pictures or it didnt happen.
:-)

Lance
Uwdlk2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #3510
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,382
Love my "mini bike" and put more miles on it in a year than my Fatboy or KTM. It's my beach bike and everyday commuter and was shocked when I fired it up Thr monrning only to feel oil shooting all over my left leg (I ride in shorts this time of year).
Aside from having to drive the truck Mrs Manfu just pressure washed the drive and I add a big oil slick.

I have no clue what this little hole if for but the plug developed a crack (I had a small leak the past few weeks from when I remved it being curious during my counter sprocked project) that turned into a hole right where you would put a flat head in to remove it.

I'll blame it on my cave man wrenching skills - 16 million years ago my people stayed on land - unlike those humanoids that went on to live in the sea (according to the mermade show I saw this week). Skills.

I removed the plug and filled it with JB weld.

You can see where the cave man used a small flat head to dig into the plug and not a big flat head or even better a coin to remove said plug. You can also see just a bit it JB weld through the new un need vent hold I added.

I let it dry over nignt and put it in this morning with some blue Loctight. Worked perfect - drama free commute this 75' morining. It's getting hot - won't see below 70' till Oct ouch!
Have a great weekend.

Colemanfu screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 02:52 AM
Colemanfu is offline   Reply With Quote