ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 04:48 AM   #61
LowOnFuel
In the crapper
 
LowOnFuel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox Pete
Just received my Dunlop tire and took it by a "good neighbor" who is still into bikes despite being older than I am, and who used to race quite a bit...

"I approve of the well-buttressed knobs. They won't squirm like siped ones or ones that aren't supported as well....Also, they'll provide a solid anchor for your screw-in ice studs from KoldKutter."

Even tho it is DOT approved for the street, this is a pretty gnarly knobby, designed for the rear wheel but being run on the front of my T-Dub as soon as I can get it mounted.

Paradox Pete
Hey Pete, thanks for the info on the rear sprocket, now I have another dumb question about the D606 if you don't mind. How much taller is the Dunlop compared to the stock front tire? If you could measure the stock front tire's diameter while still mounted and then measure the D606's diameter after you have it mounted it would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
LowOnFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #62
Paradox Pete
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Inland Wash. state near Can. border
Oddometer: 62
Have to get back to you on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowOnFuel
Hey Pete, thanks for the info on the rear sprocket, now I have another dumb question about the D606 if you don't mind. How much taller is the Dunlop compared to the stock front tire? If you could measure the stock front tire's diameter while still mounted and then measure the D606's diameter after you have it mounted it would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
Steve
THe Bike Bandit guy (Dave) told me it woudl be 10mm taller, but I am not sure whether he was talkign merely SIZE (80 stock to 90 on 606....), or if the larger knobs were taken into account.
THere might be clearance problems with stock front fender(???)
Stock set-up is minimal as it is, gumbo mud or even an occassioanl rock got sucked thru mine dragging between fender & tire.

Once I get down to pick up my re-worked T-Dub at Dauntless Motors, I'll measure stock tire vs. 606.

Paradox Pete
Paradox Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #63
LowOnFuel
In the crapper
 
LowOnFuel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox Pete
Steve
THe Bike Bandit guy (Dave) told me it woudl be 10mm taller, but I am not sure whether he was talkign merely SIZE (80 stock to 90 on 606....), or if the larger knobs were taken into account.
THere might be clearance problems with stock front fender(???)
Stock set-up is minimal as it is, gumbo mud or even an occassioanl rock got sucked thru mine dragging between fender & tire.

Once I get down to pick up my re-worked T-Dub at Dauntless Motors, I'll measure stock tire vs. 606.

Paradox Pete
Thanks for the reply Pete. I'm trying to decide between the D606 and another rear knobby (DOT approved) for the front of the T-Dub so any info on the 606 will help because I already have the other tire's diameter (run one on the rear of my KTM). I was also thinking that the 120/90-18 D606 might be another way to go depending on the diameter of the 130/90-18.

Thanks again,
Steve
LowOnFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #64
kodiakfrank
Gloria's Cheerleader
 
kodiakfrank's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Exiled to Flatghanistan
Oddometer: 9,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox Pete
Frank,
A few tires have an arrow or similar caution that they are "directional" (like chevron tractor tires) and will load up/not "clean out" if turned back wards.
Because your front wheel is NOT "driven", except by the ground pushing against it, you need to figure the road surface is "driving" it instead of a drive chain.
So, if you wind-up with a good gnarly tread tire on the front that was made to be used on the rear wheel, if it says "directional", it may work better/be more tended to "clean out" rather than pack mud into itself, if it is run "backwards" to the indicated direction of rotation.

Most tires are not directional, so I have caused some confusion probably for nothing....(Mea culpa)

Some of the auotmotive winter tires like Frank COlver used on the rear of his three wheeled T-Dub ARE directional, and that mebbe put the thought into my warped mind.

Paradox Pete
I understand the concept of directional tires. I still do not understand why you are mounting a "directional" tire counter to it's designed direction.

The tire is designed to rotate in a given direction to provide clearing of the tread, wether you're dealing with water, mud, or snow. By running the tire in the opposite direction you would be hampering the clearing action of the tread design.

As far as the rear tire being driven by the chain and the front tire being driven by the ground, I really don't see the difference in the dynamic action of tread.
kodiakfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #65
Streamin' E
Half-assed adventurer
 
Streamin' E's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Carefree Highway
Oddometer: 1,426
Doesn't make sense to me either. If you consider the application in an automobile, you mount directional tires in the direction of rotation whether it's the driving or driven axle.
__________________
Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their “betters.”- Tom Sowell
Streamin' E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #66
Paradox Pete
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Inland Wash. state near Can. border
Oddometer: 62
Directional..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakfrank
I understand the concept of directional tires. I still do not understand why you are mounting a "directional" tire counter to it's designed direction.

The tire is designed to rotate in a given direction to provide clearing of the tread, wether you're dealing with water, mud, or snow. By running the tire in the opposite direction you would be hampering the clearing action of the tread design.

As far as the rear tire being driven by the chain and the front tire being driven by the ground, I really don't see the difference in the dynamic action of tread.
Frank,
To use a grossly exaggerated example, a tractor with chevron "directional" treads will "clean-out" when driven fwd., even if the tire is slipping againt the surface.
If the tractor slides fwd. with brakes locked the (the ground is workign agaisnt the wheel rather than the wheel being powered agaisnt the ground), mud & turf are jammed into the center of the "V" of the chevrons, same as if you spin the wheels in reverse.

Thankfully the 606 is non-directional so this is a non-issue on the front end.
If I got to a "square" automotive winter directional tread like Frank Colver did on his rear wheel it's simple....I just mount in the direction of rotation the factory says to...

(Did you get the PM about Paradox Guns?)

Paradox Pete (aka Dave3220, Old N' Tyred....)
Paradox Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #67
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,758
Here is a link to the old oil cooler thread on TW200 forum.
http://tw200forum.com/forums/3/14696...ost.aspx#14696
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #68
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom
 
dynamos2000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,560
I put around 45 miles on the bike runnin around the neighborhood but this morning, it was my first commute to work. 13 miles, some decent inclines, nice pace.

Bike did great - started up immediately after sitting for a week, did 45-55 just fine and she's gonna be a great commuter when I'm not ridin the Fiz.

__________________
2010 Honda Shadow RS
dynamos2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #69
Surfn54
Adventurer
 
Surfn54's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 49
nEEPUK.
Back to the round headlight for a minute.......Coming off my 03 tw Headlight is a yellow, green, and black wire.....Which one is ground, which one is high beam and which is the other? If I just hook up high beam ( power) what do I do with the 3rd wire? Just deaden it I suppose, but I do not know which wire is which?

Your help in advance is greatly appreciated!

Surf
Surfn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #70
deadbird
Very Large Bird
 
deadbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: santa cruz,ca
Oddometer: 151
Black is ground
Yellow is high beam
Green is low beam
deadbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #71
Surfn54
Adventurer
 
Surfn54's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 49
Thanks Dead Bird........I suppose that either the yellow high beam or the green low beam will work since the light has only ONE beam.
Do you just close off the one wire that you are not using?

Amazingly I was able to get thelight on and re -bolt up my turnsignals and the bracket back into the stock position. I just had to raise my speedo/indicator boxes above the clamps instaed of how they come stock below the clamps.

Surf
Surfn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #72
neepuk OP
Such a drag...
 
neepuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Redstone, CO
Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfn54
Thanks Dead Bird........I suppose that either the yellow high beam or the green low beam will work since the light has only ONE beam.
Do you just close off the one wire that you are not using?

Amazingly I was able to get thelight on and re -bolt up my turnsignals and the bracket back into the stock position. I just had to raise my speedo/indicator boxes above the clamps instaed of how they come stock below the clamps.

Surf
pics please.... Yes, either Yellow or Green and just leave the other socket empty.
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #73
tpar1220
such a pud..
 
tpar1220's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: martinsville... ish, in.
Oddometer: 2,550
duro tire..

anyone know anything about this tire, duro power grip... atv tire.

i got it mounted up ok, but holy hell... i could not get the bead to seat.





i tried deflating/re-inflating bout ten times... with lots of soapy water, i could not get it to seat. finally gave up and put it back together. it rides like it has a flat spot..




im gonna pull it back off and try again. is that big horn a pain to mount as well?
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #74
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,055
Here's a couple pics of our work in progress.







The bike is back on the lift right now, we're adding some extra bracing to the pannier/rack setup. Also we have a custom aluminum fuel tank that will be installed on top of the rack also.

I'll post more pics as we make progress.

You can see more pictures of the mods here: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy
__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #75
freeflow
get in or go in
 
freeflow's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: GB-Wisconsin
Oddometer: 15,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper_drz
Yer not too tall....heck, I'm 6'6" and I love ta jump on 'da wifes TW and take it for a run!

TW love.

freeflow screwed with this post 01-26-2009 at 10:46 AM
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014