User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Mapsmear OP
Smooth & Shiny

Oddometer: 14
Pissed Bought My Last BMW

So I but a new F800GS from Motohio 6 weeks ago with the BMW top-loading aluminum panniers as accessories. Still haven't received the panniers or mounts and the dealer tells me that BMW can't tell them when they 'might' arrive. I've had to borrow a bike for one trip already and I have another coming up in 3 weeks, WTF?
Mapsmear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
You should have not accepted a incomplete bike from BMW. That said it is a piece of shit so you could try and get the contract voided.
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapsmear View Post
So I but a new F800GS from Motohio 6 weeks ago with the BMW top-loading aluminum panniers as accessories. Still haven't received the panniers or mounts and the dealer tells me that BMW can't tell them when they 'might' arrive. I've had to borrow a bike for one trip already and I have another coming up in 3 weeks, WTF?
BMW's parts system is connected worldwide and shows closest locations of parts (other dealerships for example) as well as having a realtime delivery schedule from the factory (in your case Touratech who make the aluminium panniers for BMW).

If they can't tell you when the panniers arrive it sounds like your dealership is telling porkies or they're too lazy to look.

I just put in a custom order for an R1200GS to the factory in Berlin and it is taking less than 6 weeks to build and ship to me, and that's with the backlog of orders worldwide.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,720
So one shitty Dealer spoils the whole brand?

Those cases are on Ebay new and ready for immediate delivery. Unless you're talking GSA.....

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Mapsmear OP
Smooth & Shiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
BMW's parts system is connected worldwide and shows closest locations of parts (other dealerships for example) as well as having a realtime delivery schedule from the factory (in your case Touratech who make the aluminium panniers for BMW).

If they can't tell you when the panniers arrive it sounds like your dealership is telling porkies or they're too lazy to look.

I just put in a custom order for an R1200GS to the factory in Berlin and it is taking less than 6 weeks to build and ship to me, and that's with the backlog of orders worldwide.
I've suspected the dealer all along and have asked for a refund on my accessories. They said that someone from BMWNA will be calling me, yea right. Monday I start jumping on desks.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
I've suspected the dealer all along and have asked for a refund on my accessories. They said that someone from BMWNA will be calling me, yea right. Monday I start jumping on desks.
Out of curiosity are there any dealerships in the US which are run directly by BMW NA? They all seem to be franchises selling multiple brands... My home dealership happens to be run by BMW UK directly which may explain why I've never had any trouble with them...

Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
So one shitty Dealer spoils the whole brand?
Rant on. Yes. It's on page 14 of my Rider's Manual. It states that if a dealer fails in any way, you are obligated to hate the parent company forever. The motorcycle becomes an immediate POS unworthy of any future travel or enjoyment. The only recourse is to state your case on the internet. References to Spandau are encouraged.

Rant off.
Get your $$ back from the dealer, and get panniers elsewhere. If you piss them off you can always take the bike to Matthias BMW for service and warranty work.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Out of curiosity are there any dealerships in the US which are run directly by BMW NA? They all seem to be franchises selling multiple brands... My home dealership happens to be run by BMW UK directly which may explain why I've never had any trouble with them...
I don't think that is legal in most states. A shame, I would be happy to give my money to the manufacturer in the absence of a trusty dealer.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I don't think that is legal in most states. A shame, I would be happy to give my money to the manufacturer in the absence of a trusty dealer.
Seems odd, wonder how Apple gets away with that with their Apple Stores which they run directly?

The reason I was wondering is that I was trying to find definitive pricing for the 2013 R1200GS but unlike other markets, BMW USA doesn't include pricing (apart from base pricing) on their corporate website. And neither do the US dealerships whose websites seem to almost uniformly have the usability of late 90s websites.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Seems odd, wonder how Apple gets away with that with their Apple Stores which they run directly?
At least in the states, computers and vehicles are sold under different sets of laws. The rules about dealer franchising are quite restrictive. Tesla is battling these laws now.

http://www.altenergystocks.com/archi...se_laws_1.html

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
At least in the states, computers and vehicles are sold under different sets of laws. The rules about dealer franchising are quite restrictive. Tesla is battling these laws now.

http://www.altenergystocks.com/archi...se_laws_1.html

- Mark
Ah ok now I understand, thanks for clarifying.

George

Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
Mapsmear OP
Smooth & Shiny

Dealer just called me back offering to refund the cost of the panniers/mounts plus tax. And yes, they are available on ebay for immediate delivery ... bizarre!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
I got those panniers on my 2010. They are good and worth waiting for. I wouldn't condemn myself to a lifetime of riding some crappy Jap or British bike over a late delivery. You can always go to a different dealer. Dave

CheckerdD screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 02:58 PM
CheckerdD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Dealer just called me back offering to refund the cost of the panniers/mounts plus tax. And yes, they are available on ebay for immediate delivery ... bizarre!
Yay result! I have the alu panniers on my 800 and they are indeed very good, bike as been over on them a few times fully loaded and I've had a lid fly open at 140km/hr (my own stupidity) but they are still as new and waterproof.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
I'm confused. Is the bike sitting at the dealer's waiting for the panniers? If not dude, throw a couple of soft bags over her in the meantime and get in the wind! Don't borrow a bike. Buy bungie cords. Kind of romantic in a rustic sort of way. Takes us back to simpler days.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote