ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Mapsmear OP
Smooth & Shiny
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Da Nati
Oddometer: 14
Pissed Bought My Last BMW

So I but a new F800GS from Motohio 6 weeks ago with the BMW top-loading aluminum panniers as accessories. Still haven't received the panniers or mounts and the dealer tells me that BMW can't tell them when they 'might' arrive. I've had to borrow a bike for one trip already and I have another coming up in 3 weeks, WTF?
Mapsmear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Zoetermeer, Netherlands
Oddometer: 124
You should have not accepted a incomplete bike from BMW. That said it is a piece of shit so you could try and get the contract voided.
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
duffs
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapsmear View Post
So I but a new F800GS from Motohio 6 weeks ago with the BMW top-loading aluminum panniers as accessories. Still haven't received the panniers or mounts and the dealer tells me that BMW can't tell them when they 'might' arrive. I've had to borrow a bike for one trip already and I have another coming up in 3 weeks, WTF?
BMW's parts system is connected worldwide and shows closest locations of parts (other dealerships for example) as well as having a realtime delivery schedule from the factory (in your case Touratech who make the aluminium panniers for BMW).

If they can't tell you when the panniers arrive it sounds like your dealership is telling porkies or they're too lazy to look.

I just put in a custom order for an R1200GS to the factory in Berlin and it is taking less than 6 weeks to build and ship to me, and that's with the backlog of orders worldwide.
__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Reaver
Outta Here
 
Reaver's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Homeless Adventurer
Oddometer: 2,720
So one shitty Dealer spoils the whole brand?

Those cases are on Ebay new and ready for immediate delivery. Unless you're talking GSA.....
__________________
Life is a Rollercoaster and I'm not strapped in!

Leaving it all behind 2014

.
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Mapsmear OP
Smooth & Shiny
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Da Nati
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
BMW's parts system is connected worldwide and shows closest locations of parts (other dealerships for example) as well as having a realtime delivery schedule from the factory (in your case Touratech who make the aluminium panniers for BMW).

If they can't tell you when the panniers arrive it sounds like your dealership is telling porkies or they're too lazy to look.

I just put in a custom order for an R1200GS to the factory in Berlin and it is taking less than 6 weeks to build and ship to me, and that's with the backlog of orders worldwide.
I've suspected the dealer all along and have asked for a refund on my accessories. They said that someone from BMWNA will be calling me, yea right. Monday I start jumping on desks.
Mapsmear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
duffs
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapsmear View Post
I've suspected the dealer all along and have asked for a refund on my accessories. They said that someone from BMWNA will be calling me, yea right. Monday I start jumping on desks.
Out of curiosity are there any dealerships in the US which are run directly by BMW NA? They all seem to be franchises selling multiple brands... My home dealership happens to be run by BMW UK directly which may explain why I've never had any trouble with them...
__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
NCD
Dirty Hairy
 
NCD's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
So one shitty Dealer spoils the whole brand?
Rant on. Yes. It's on page 14 of my Rider's Manual. It states that if a dealer fails in any way, you are obligated to hate the parent company forever. The motorcycle becomes an immediate POS unworthy of any future travel or enjoyment. The only recourse is to state your case on the internet. References to Spandau are encouraged.

Rant off.
Get your $$ back from the dealer, and get panniers elsewhere. If you piss them off you can always take the bike to Matthias BMW for service and warranty work.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
ph0rk
Doesn't Care
 
ph0rk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Oaktown
Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Out of curiosity are there any dealerships in the US which are run directly by BMW NA? They all seem to be franchises selling multiple brands... My home dealership happens to be run by BMW UK directly which may explain why I've never had any trouble with them...
I don't think that is legal in most states. A shame, I would be happy to give my money to the manufacturer in the absence of a trusty dealer.
__________________
--Semantics are everything.
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
duffs
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I don't think that is legal in most states. A shame, I would be happy to give my money to the manufacturer in the absence of a trusty dealer.
Seems odd, wonder how Apple gets away with that with their Apple Stores which they run directly?

The reason I was wondering is that I was trying to find definitive pricing for the 2013 R1200GS but unlike other markets, BMW USA doesn't include pricing (apart from base pricing) on their corporate website. And neither do the US dealerships whose websites seem to almost uniformly have the usability of late 90s websites.
__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Seems odd, wonder how Apple gets away with that with their Apple Stores which they run directly?
At least in the states, computers and vehicles are sold under different sets of laws. The rules about dealer franchising are quite restrictive. Tesla is battling these laws now.

http://www.altenergystocks.com/archi...se_laws_1.html

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
duffs
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
At least in the states, computers and vehicles are sold under different sets of laws. The rules about dealer franchising are quite restrictive. Tesla is battling these laws now.

http://www.altenergystocks.com/archi...se_laws_1.html

- Mark
Ah ok now I understand, thanks for clarifying.

George
__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
Mapsmear OP
Smooth & Shiny
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Da Nati
Oddometer: 14
Dealer just called me back offering to refund the cost of the panniers/mounts plus tax. And yes, they are available on ebay for immediate delivery ... bizarre!
Mapsmear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer
 
CheckerdD's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Dave Rankine, Reno NV
Oddometer: 1,274
I got those panniers on my 2010. They are good and worth waiting for. I wouldn't condemn myself to a lifetime of riding some crappy Jap or British bike over a late delivery. You can always go to a different dealer. Dave
__________________
Pavement! We don't need no stinkin pavement.

CheckerdD screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 02:58 PM
CheckerdD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
duffs
It's been useful
 
duffs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Battersea (London) UK
Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapsmear View Post
Dealer just called me back offering to refund the cost of the panniers/mounts plus tax. And yes, they are available on ebay for immediate delivery ... bizarre!
Yay result! I have the alu panniers on my 800 and they are indeed very good, bike as been over on them a few times fully loaded and I've had a lid fly open at 140km/hr (my own stupidity) but they are still as new and waterproof.

__________________
Ride reports: Europe 2014 | Alps 2013 | Fryslân 2012
2012 F 800 GS Trophy 2014 R 1200 GS TE

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
skysailor
Rat Rider
 
skysailor's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Kenora, Canada
Oddometer: 3,468
I'm confused. Is the bike sitting at the dealer's waiting for the panniers? If not dude, throw a couple of soft bags over her in the meantime and get in the wind! Don't borrow a bike. Buy bungie cords. Kind of romantic in a rustic sort of way. Takes us back to simpler days.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014