User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #76
randolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Pissed Beware

Just installed them... and found a problem.

The brake line is WAY too tight... the manufacturer suggests to move the brake inboard by 1cm (3/8'' for those who use funky measures )... but that can't be done with the original BMW hand protectors... they are fixed to the handlebar ends and can not be moved... I was thinking about swapping the position of the brake clamp and the handlebar clamp but that would move the brake about 2.5cm (1'') inboard, which is too much.

Sooo....I need a longer brake line as well. Or an extension or something :)

BTW: The riding position is freakin' awsome now
randolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #77
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by randolf
Sooo....I need a longer brake line as well. Or an extension or something :)
Just reverse the brake line. You'll have plenty of clearance afterwards.

drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #78
randolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags

You've got to be kidding me That's awesome ... will try! Thanks!

Thanks!
randolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #79
Big Duke 6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Bolt wrench

I am planning to put the rox 3rp2ppl risers on my f800gs also. I looked like the bolt clearance was going to be tight. I had noticed the combo suspension wrench from touratec-stores under the seat-has all the bolt heads punched out and looked perfect for the job?
Big Duke 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #80
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
How did you reverse the brake line?

I'd hate to start loosing the banjo bolt and see oil seeping out..
Old 04-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #81
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
By default the front brake line has the bends in the banjo bolts in such a way that it takes up a lot of slack. If you completely remove the brake line leading from the master cylinder to the block and just swap end for end, the bends are now in such a way that you get enough slack when bolted back on for your risers. Check out the orientation of the banjo bolts in the pics. What's at the master cylinder is now at the block and visa-versa. I scratched my head over this for awhile before I tried it, but it worked out better than I thought it would.

You could probably just remove the brake line from the block and swap it with the brake line that goes to the calipers, but swapping ends was the first thing I tried and it worked, so I didn't try the 2nd idea.

IMO, I wouldn't leave the hose in the stock position. When I dropped my bike I broke one of the steering stops. If I had not reversed the brake line for more free play, I would have ripped that hose apart, compounding my problems. The steering stops are puny and easy to break in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
How did you reverse the brake line?

I'd hate to start loosing the banjo bolt and see oil seeping out..
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #82
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,317
Thanks for the details.. so basically you need to bleed the brakes once you do this. I might wait till the brake fluid needs to be bled.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #83
Big Duke 6
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb Rox install

I just installed the 3r-p2ppl Rox risers on the f800gs. Got them direct from Rox. After a couple hundred miles I can say seating position much improved and the install was worth it. I can also say as expressed by DRRAGS the brake line ended up tighter than I would like. It will be OK as long as nothing out of the ordinary happens. If I turn the line upside down as suggested, how much trouble is it to bleed?? If I were to put a new line on, has anybody had a line done and has a repeatable order?? Are there copper crush washers under the banjobolts?? Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #84
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Duke 6
I just installed the 3r-p2ppl Rox risers on the f800gs. Got them direct from Rox. After a couple hundred miles I can say seating position much improved and the install was worth it. I can also say as expressed by DRRAGS the brake line ended up tighter than I would like. It will be OK as long as nothing out of the ordinary happens. If I turn the line upside down as suggested, how much trouble is it to bleed?? If I were to put a new line on, has anybody had a line done and has a repeatable order?? Are there copper crush washers under the banjobolts?? Thanks
The washers are reusable. I called the local Harley store, and asked where they got their custom hoses from.....40min`s later I was en route.... They made me a custom hose 18 inches long for $40. I tried the rox risers....but did not like the design, so I`m just using the 20mm riser blocks from TT.
With the rox the clutch cable was too short for comfort. I went to a autozone to get a brake bleeder kit with a squeeze gun..... Worked as a charm.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #85
Big Duke 6
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
The washers are reusable. I called the local Harley store, and asked where they got their custom hoses from.....40min`s later I was en route.... They made me a custom hose 18 inches long for $40. I tried the rox risers....but did not like the design, so I`m just using the 20mm riser blocks from TT.
With the rox the clutch cable was too short for comfort. I went to a autozone to get a brake bleeder kit with a squeeze gun..... Worked as a charm.

Erling
Sounds good, At the local BMW store on Sat, I asked the owner, a big time track racer about a longer brake line. Started with the well I wouldn't know how long to make it crap-and I pointed to the F800GS on the floor and said this line, 3 inches longer got a stupid look so I left. Out here in Taxachusetts it's real difficult to get things done. Did the Harley shop make them or send you to their source. I take it the brake bleeder was the small vacuum type? Rox great for me, but have a lot of TT stuff also. I'd like one of everything out of the TT catalog. Thanks for the response, Gary
Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #86
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds good, At the local BMW store on Sat, I asked the owner, a big time track racer about a longer brake line. Started with the well I wouldn't know how long to make it crap-and I pointed to the F800GS on the floor and said this line, 3 inches longer got a stupid look so I left. Out here in Taxachusetts it's real difficult to get things done. Did the Harley shop make them or send you to their source. I take it the brake bleeder was the small vacuum type? Rox great for me, but have a lot of TT stuff also. I'd like one of everything out of the TT catalog. Thanks for the response, Gary
They send me to another shop, that made the hose. I used this....
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

There are a few places online that can make`em, but when you say BMW..... the price goes up a little.

Erling
Old 04-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #87
Big Duke 6
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2 Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek
They send me to another shop, that made the hose. I used this....
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

There are a few places online that can make`em, but when you say BMW..... the price goes up a little.

Erling
I'm going to call the local HD shop for the local try, if not the was a big brake writeup in the latest BMW-ON mag, I'll try them, all is OK for now. I couldn't get the link to work but I have a feeling it's a mighty-vac type of deal so I should be good to go.Thanks, Gary
Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #88
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,381
Not to derail the thread but I have a quick question. I always feel like I am leaning down against the bars, will risers help with this? Is this exactly what they are for or just to make it more comfortable while standing? They dont really feel too low but I always seem to be pushing against them, like the seat is pushing me forward or something.

Sorry for the dumbass noob question.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #89
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm going to call the local HD shop for the local try, if not the was a big brake writeup in the latest BMW-ON mag, I'll try them, all is OK for now. I couldn't get the link to work but I have a feeling it's a mighty-vac type of deal so I should be good to go.Thanks, Gary
Your correct...Mighty-vac it is...
Erling
Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #90
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms
Not to derail the thread but I have a quick question. I always feel like I am leaning down against the bars, will risers help with this? Is this exactly what they are for or just to make it more comfortable while standing? They dont really feel too low but I always seem to be pushing against them, like the seat is pushing me forward or something.

Sorry for the dumbass noob question.
No worries... It is either the stock seat giving you e "wedge" or the bars being too short. The stock seat has a slope forward that methodically sends the rider forward......Most people over 5'8" need the 20mm riser at a minimum.

Erling