Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymcfly
A bike specific camelbak is far more comfortable than a generic hiker type.
What's the difference?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #17
InertiaDRZ400
AusSafari Addict

Oddometer: 583
[quote=guymcfly][quote=skibum_1260]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymcfly
and like Inertia also use Fox gloves, but don't use tape because I have manly hands, unlike fairy fingers over there
Ill show you fairy fingers! haha!

Brand doesnt matter as that is what makes the item of clothing/protection comfortable. It's the use of these items that will make a medium get off feel like a slow low side! Pressure suits are good as they offer some of the best protection out there for your back! Leatt neckbrace and a good pair of knee protectors to me are a must!

The first time i put everything on i felt like my movement was so restricted and i looked some what like the michelin man! But after using this setup for over 18 months it feels very weird not to wear it all!

Safari 2011 ! ........anticipation!
InertiaDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I'm really grappling with this issue for Morocco this March. I just hate the thought of having to wear a jacket of any sort...forget about the "Pressure-style" suit. Had one, nearly died of heat prostration at the GNCC in Georgia...and it was only March!

Looked at the TekVest during P2D and again lately...seems awful bulky and hot.

So far, it looks like I'm going "old school"...heck, I'm old enough it just seems regular for me Planning on a long sleeve cool max type of undershirt, Cannondale biking shorts, MX pants, Alpinestar Vector boots, (haven't figured out the socks yet), hockey-style knee pads (Canadian eh?), summer jersey, Answer chest protector with Camelback zip tied to the back of it.

Here's a tip for the zip-tied Camelback set up. The extra weight of the pack tends to make the front of the chest protector ride up and jam into your adams apple. Run another long zip tie through the front, bottom of the protector, the loop long enough to thread your pants buckle through. Holds your pants up and your chest protector down.

...oh...and a kidney belt too...which I'm not sure does anything except help to hold my gut in. (And it doesn't even do that too well!)

Tried the el-cheapo EVS neck brace...thought it was useless. Couldn't even get my helmet on properly and I thought it would put too much pressure on my collarbones in a crash.

Guess I'll probably have to spring for the "full Monty" Leatt...I'm afraid of getting the new cheap one that has no adjustment in it.

Troy Lee Designs helmet, Thor goggles and two sets of gloves, "high top" leather and vented MX to use depending on the conditions. I'm also trying PalmSavers, which so far look like quite the trick set up for avoiding blisters.

Still TBD....elbow pads...never wear them, hate them. Seem to be either too tight and cutting off your circulation or falling down onto your wrists. Still...I hate the thought of doing a Charlie Boorman in the rocks and crunching and elbow.

Then the jacket...jury is still out as to what the heck I'm going to do there. Maybe go for one with removable sleeves. I know there have been questionalbe reviews on it, but liked the looks of the M2R "Rallycross" jacket. Available colours suck though.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
canadaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #19
Sycamore OP
d00b

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaler
Then the jacket...jury is still out as to what the heck I'm going to do there. Maybe go for one with removable sleeves. I know there have been questionalbe reviews on it, but liked the looks of the M2R "Rallycross" jacket. Available colours suck though.
if you're planning on using a Leatt, better check that the jacket neck are accommodates it... else you'll be doing cutting and stitching
Good luck for Morocco
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #20
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Looked at the TekVest during P2D and again lately...seems awful bulky and hot.
I'm not sure who you are, but I was one of the P2D organizers, I'm in Whitby if you want to come by and check out my TekVest and Leatt, you might be surprised, I wore it all during the event.

Quote:
Tried the el-cheapo EVS neck brace...thought it was useless. Couldn't even get my helmet on properly and I thought it would put too much pressure on my collarbones in a crash.
I took a peak at the EVS at Parker Bros and I don't (didn't) like it as much as the Leatt, that velcro strip in the front just does not scream support to me.

Quote:
Guess I'll probably have to spring for the "full Monty" Leatt...I'm afraid of getting the new cheap one that has no adjustment in it.
I saw the Adventure Model of the Leatt at the bike show in Dec, price is significantly less at $299 compared to something like $575 or something.. (not sure). But I am pretty sure it has the adjustability as the higher models it is the material that it is made out of that is different. It is a dense plastic sort of material, weighs more than the KTM version, so no fancy carbon fiber or aluminum.

If your interested in checking them out, shoot me a PM

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
osteo
Motion is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
if you're planning on using a Leatt, better check that the jacket neck are accommodates it... else you'll be doing cutting and stitching
Good luck for Morocco
Yup, what Sycamore said! the only jacket I know of (and there are clearly more now, watching the Dakar) that comes cut to fit the Leatt is the Acerbis Desertika (sp?).

I had my mom take the scissors to my KLIM Valdez Parka a couple months ago and seam it, and now it looks like Jonah's! trust me, I was crying while she cut! as that jacket is not cheap. But, now it fits like a glove and it roomy enough to fit over my TekVest if necessary.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #22
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm not sure who you are, but I was one of the P2D organizers, I'm in Whitby if you want to come by and check out my TekVest and Leatt, you might be surprised, I wore it all during the event.
I was the only guy on a Husky there, a 2000 TE610, team Ride On Time. (...and proud to say that Husky was the only brand that had a 100% finish rate in the P2D ) Thanks for the offer, I'm in Cambridge and have already tried on both the Leatt and (what I think was an older style) of TekVest...maybe the newer ones are different...?

The "Adventure" Leatt does not (from everything I've read...haven't actually seen one yet) have adjustable "tables" front and back. I've talked to three guys who race with the original Leatts and they all had to adjust the rear table down to the max in order to be able to tilt their head up far enough for downhills and "attack" position in the woods. I'd hate to buy the Adventure and find out that the rear table is too high and there is zero adjustment.

Royal has the original Leatt's on for something like $425 now. I've tried one on with a helmet as well and it didn't seem too bad. Have to go back and check out the jacket fitting issue though.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
Old 01-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #23
osteo
Motion is Life

Quote:
have already tried on both the Leatt and (what I think was an older style) of TekVest...maybe the newer ones are different...?
The only Tekvests that work with the Leatt Brace are gray in colour, I had the 2nd or 3rd original demo made for about 2 months to test I got it from Mr. Tekvest himself actually took it off his back when he returned from a Round Algonquin Ride, and now have one of the 1st production ones at my place. So, in short if it was black, it would not work with a Leatt. The production units I think are just now going on sale.

As far as adjusting the height front and back with regards to vision, mine is adjusted the complete opposite in the back - all the way up. But there may be a few differences to consider. If they are using chest protectors/roost protectors and pressure suit style armour that might be the difference.

One thing in the Leatt instruction manual is that it says it is supposed to be worn a close to the body as possible, so minimal layers under it. I tried wearing it over my Klim Jacket (enduro style jacket) and I found it to be sloppy and not nearly as supportive as it was without the jacket.

Regardless, for that sort of money it is best to be 100% sure of fit.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Old 01-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #24
canadaler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo
So, in short if it was black, it would not work with a Leatt. The production units I think are just now going on sale.
It was black...so an older unit.

TekVest's site is still saying new models are "coming soon." No further information is available on them from the site. I'm guessing the new generation vests will be priced higher than the old ones...which ought to put them around the $300 mark.
'84 Honda VT500FT Ascot
Tuareg Rally 2009
Old 01-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #25
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
I have question for Inertia and Guymcfly regarding the KTM jacket. I bought Leatt sport brace and also the Acerbis Koerta pressure suit, but having some second thoughts about the jacket.

I am considering of course two available options from Acerbis(Desertika) and KTM(rallye). I am 187 cm tall and 84 kg weight and usually buy jacket size L-XL(the Koerta is the L-XL size), but really don't know how much space pressure suit put on the size I usually wear KTM jacket vise.

I don't have option here in Croatia to try any of these jacket, so have to order online. I ride mostly on road(90/10), but in spring will change my bike to KTM so will ride more in dirt. I need jacket that will be used mostly on the road and like 20-30 % later in the dirt.
I think that KTM jacket is better for the adventure travelling kinda style, the thing that bothers me is the lenght of the Desrtika jacket which seems to me on the shorty side. Though Packmule told me that it is long enough but I don't wont to shell 250 $ and be sorry afterwards.

Some input or advice is appreciated, thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #26
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
you can run a leath brace in the outside o the valdez parka with out a problem

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #27
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frgich
I have question for Inertia and Guymcfly regarding the KTM jacket. I bought Leatt sport brace and also the Acerbis Koerta pressure suit, but having some second thoughts about the jacket.

I am considering of course two available options from Acerbis(Desertika) and KTM(rallye). I am 187 cm tall and 84 kg weight and usually buy jacket size L-XL(the Koerta is the L-XL size), but really don't know how much space pressure suit put on the size I usually wear KTM jacket vise.

I don't have option here in Croatia to try any of these jacket, so have to order online. I ride mostly on road(90/10), but in spring will change my bike to KTM so will ride more in dirt. I need jacket that will be used mostly on the road and like 20-30 % later in the dirt.
I think that KTM jacket is better for the adventure travelling kinda style, the thing that bothers me is the lenght of the Desrtika jacket which seems to me on the shorty side. Though Packmule told me that it is long enough but I don't wont to shell 250 $ and be sorry afterwards.

Some input or advice is appreciated, thanks
The KTM Rallye jackets tend to be on the small size so order one size larger than you normally would. My SHIFT enduro jacket is a L and my Rallye jacket is XL. It works great with Leatt brace and pressure suit. (I have Leatt Sport Carbon Fibre brace and Dianese pressure suit. I had to remove the top segments of the pressure suit spine protection to have it fit well with the brace).
Cheers
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #28
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Good luck for Morocco

Depending on your body build you may find that the leatt fits fine over most jackets. I am able to put it on over my Rev-it jacket without any issue and I wear it over my 661 pressure suit.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #29
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1
The KTM Rallye jackets tend to be on the small size so order one size larger than you normally would. My SHIFT enduro jacket is a L and my Rallye jacket is XL. It works great with Leatt brace and pressure suit. (I have Leatt Sport Carbon Fibre brace and Dianese pressure suit. I had to remove the top segments of the pressure suit spine protection to have it fit well with the brace).
Cheers
Thanks Jay, appreciate your answer. I usually wear L size but will order XL if I decide to go with the Rallye, still having second thoughts

2Trail Would not wear Leatt outside the jacket. I like to go with the regulation and if it is ment to be weared close to your skin with nothing to interfere with it, than I'll do just that. Thanks for the replay though.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #30
osteo
Motion is Life

Quote:
One thing in the Leatt instruction manual is that it says it is supposed to be worn a close to the body as possible, so minimal layers under it. I tried wearing it over my Klim Jacket (enduro style jacket) and I found it to be sloppy and not nearly as supportive as it was without the jacket.
Not to dissuade anyone, but if you can try on the jacket you plan on wearing with your Leatt (if already purchased) I would do so. Notice with this years Dakar, all the riders wear their jackets over the Leatt.

Canadaler - actually the new Tekvests are over $400.

Sycamore - sorry the the slight off topic conversations

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media