Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #31
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,285
The problem with the leatt is that if you wear a jacket cut out for it then it acts like an air scoop and dumps all the rocks, cold air, stinging insects etc down your chest.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #32
Sycamore OP
d00b

Oddometer: 1,697
it's surprising that the Leatt brace has been out for quite some time, but there are still only 2 rally / enduro jackets available with removable collar for Leatt (Acerbis Desertika and KTM).
Why are manufacturers so slow to catch up, surely the race/offroad market is big enough?

Frgich, I also thought the Desertika looks a bit short in length, haven't tried one though.
Pics here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285323
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308793
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #33
KimR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Unclear on pants recommendations. In-boot or over-boot. Padded or rely on under pant padding?
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #34
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
The problem with the leatt is that if you wear a jacket cut out for it then it acts like an air scoop and dumps all the rocks, cold air, stinging insects etc down your chest.
I've got a windstopper neck gaitor sort of thing I am going to try for the sandblast. It is fairly thin so we'll see how it works out.

I've tried ordering this a couple times, but it is not available in NA. Anyone able to import??

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #35
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

We have the Acerbis Desertika jackets which are ok but I dont like it enough to want to wear it for a long multi day event. As I said before I tend now to just wear the brace over the jacket....the whole fitting around the brace just isnt an issue....for me

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #36
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
We have the Acerbis Desertika jackets which are ok but I dont like it enough to want to wear it for a long multi day event. As I said before I tend now to just wear the brace over the jacket....the whole fitting around the brace just isnt an issue....for me

Are there any concerns about the brace being any less effective, it being used over-top a jacket?!
Ooobah-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #37
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber-Moto
Are there any concerns about the brace being any less effective, it being used over-top a jacket?!
not really...as long as you have it fitted correctly. The brace can adjusted fairly extensively and you can use the arm straps or let it float. It helps to tuck it in under your spine protection but this doesn't always work.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #38
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
it's surprising that the Leatt brace has been out for quite some time, but there are still only 2 rally / enduro jackets available with removable collar for Leatt (Acerbis Desertika and KTM).
Why are manufacturers so slow to catch up, surely the race/offroad market is big enough?

Frgich, I also thought the Desertika looks a bit short in length, haven't tried one though.
Pics here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285323
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308793
Hi Sycamore,

I saw these threads and also contacted PackMule over PM about the Desertika jacket. I really am not sure which one to choose. In this moment I am closer to KTM Rallye for now, because I am kinda scarred that the desertika is more rally/enduro oriented, it is thinner than the Rallye I think also. I need primarily jacket for travelling long distance, and as a second for enduro riding.
I am going to order a jacket in february from UK, so i have some more time to think about these two

ride on
Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #39
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Just another one question popped up. The ones who wear the KTM Rallye jacket and the pressure suit, can you comment abut the space in the sleeves and the lenght of the sleeves?
I have longish arms so don't won't do end up with the sleeves up to my elbow because of the pressure suite, thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #40
Sycamore OP
d00b

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frgich
Hi Sycamore,

I saw these threads and also contacted PackMule over PM about the Desertika jacket. I really am not sure which one to choose. In this moment I am closer to KTM Rallye for now, because I am kinda scarred that the desertika is more rally/enduro oriented, it is thinner than the Rallye I think also. I need primarily jacket for travelling long distance, and as a second for enduro riding.
I am going to order a jacket in february from UK, so i have some more time to think about these two

ride on
if it's for touring / long distance, the KTM Rallye looks like it will do better. Seems heavier, more pockets, etc.
Sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #41
mysterio
Eventually an Adventurer.

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
if it's for touring / long distance, the KTM Rallye looks like it will do better. Seems heavier, more pockets, etc.
An important thing to consider re, the KTM Rally jacket, it's not exactly suited to cold weather. I've used mine on pretty hot days and really appreciate that this is the first jacket I've owned which works in these conditions, but I do need to put another proper underlayer on in winter.
mysterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #42
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

The acerbis jacket is not waterproof and it would not be a jacket I would consider using for a trip. I have the jacket because Andrew got them for us and it makes a good enduro...1 day type of event jacket.

My Revit jacket is what I tour in as it has good pockets, a water proof liner and an insulated liner.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #43
ADV950S
KTM Cowboy

Oddometer: 42
Should be ready to ship in Late Jan in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteo
I've got a windstopper neck gaitor sort of thing I am going to try for the sandblast. It is fairly thin so we'll see how it works out.

I've tried ordering this a couple times, but it is not available in NA. Anyone able to import??

D
I have one on order from KTM. Latest info shows them being available in late January 2009. I placed my order in early November. Even though the KTM and BMW Leatt are the same (absent color) BMW does not make a cover ... ONLY KTM.

The dealer pulled up my order 2 days ago and no ship date was given. However, when they enter it in as a "new" order it listed January as a date when it would be available. MSRP is 30 Euros.

Also regarding Jackets, I run the KTM Rallye Jacket. Retired my BMW Rally 2 Pro so I could comfortably use the Leatt as ATGATT (BMW R2P will work with Leatt brace over jacket; just not as comfortable) I did see that Troy Lee Designs has a Leatt friendly jacket with zip off sleeves. For me the slight price increase of the KTM over the Acerbis was made up for by the waterproof liner the KTM has (better for Romania's "Continental" climate). If all my riding was desert I would probably has bought the Acerbis due primarily to the light color. I plan on using a Acerbis Koerta pressure suit and ditching the KTM Armour. KTM Armour is OK; just not as good as the BMW NP Armour in the R2P...

Just my $ .02
ADV950S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 AM   #44
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV950S
I have one on order from KTM. Latest info shows them being available in late January 2009. I placed my order in early November. Even though the KTM and BMW Leatt are the same (absent color) BMW does not make a cover ... ONLY KTM.

The dealer pulled up my order 2 days ago and no ship date was given. However, when they enter it in as a "new" order it listed January as a date when it would be available. MSRP is 30 Euros.

Also regarding Jackets, I run the KTM Rallye Jacket. Retired my BMW Rally 2 Pro so I could comfortably use the Leatt as ATGATT (BMW R2P will work with Leatt brace over jacket; just not as comfortable) I did see that Troy Lee Designs has a Leatt friendly jacket with zip off sleeves. For me the slight price increase of the KTM over the Acerbis was made up for by the waterproof liner the KTM has (better for Romania's "Continental" climate). If all my riding was desert I would probably has bought the Acerbis due primarily to the light color. I plan on using a Acerbis Koerta pressure suit and ditching the KTM Armour. KTM Armour is OK; just not as good as the BMW NP Armour in the R2P...

Just my $ .02
Thanks for the info!, that would make sense in the delay in getting that cover here. I originally ordered a Leatt 2 yrs ago, when I first saw them and was told they were still being tested (that was after they were first seen on the Dakar by the factory riders). The Leatt website was selling them at that time, but KTM was not brining them to North America yet. It was just over a year later that we could get them here.

I sent an email off to a store in the UK that says they do shipping, but have not heard anything yet, so that would also explain it.

Thanks again, if you remember and yours does come in, shoot me a message and let me know what you think.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #45
Cummo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Wear your pants in the boots, pants outside the boot catch on the wider rally pegs and you fall over!

The KTM jacket is fine with a pressure suit but buy a larger size than you think, especially if you plan to put your water under the jacket.
Cummo is offline   Reply With Quote