Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #31
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,069
Thanks - you've given me some new places to go. I've always viewed the RhoneTal as an ugly stretch of road to be endured on my way from Andermatt to France (or vice versa). I have to re-examine that now.

I stumbled on the SchwazwaldAlp a few years ago, I was a bit put out about the coach-only road to Grindlewald, but it was well worth the ride anyway.

Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #32
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Beautiful warm summer days!! Just the right time for such a wonderful report, thanks for the ride.
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #33
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
Thanks - you've given me some new places to go. I've always viewed the RhoneTal as an ugly stretch of road to be endured on my way from Andermatt to France (or vice versa). I have to re-examine that now.
That's what most of the visitors are thinking!
Rhonetal - ugly!!!
Not really!
If you leave the ground, then it could be a wonderful place to go!
As shown, the streets are going up to more than 2000m a few time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
I stumbled on the SchwazwaldAlp a few years ago, I was a bit put out about the coach-only road to Grindlewald, but it was well worth the ride anyway.
The road from Grindelwald to Große Scheidegg and to the Schwarzwaldalp is only allowed by bus!

You can reach it only from Meiringen - as we did on the 5th day.
A very steep road, but a gem!

Best greatings
Rudi
motorradrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #34
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Day 11:

Out of the blocks and into the Val Verzasca. After the first part of the climb, Lago di Vogomo shows on the left…the dam wall was featured in the james bond movie „Golden Eye“.
The Bunjyjump through the starting sequence of the flick was done here.
And, of course, the views are impressive !!
Further up the valley towards Sonogno, along the way is the Ponte di Salti to the left, the 2 arcs of the beautiful old stone-bridge spanning the Verzasca.

Val Verzasca

Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #35
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Returning back into the valley we joined the commuter traffic to Locarno and Ascona.

Locarno

Ascona

As mentioned above, Ascona is a true gem, the prettiest town in Switzerland.
The old, narrow lanes, the promenade along the shore, the Mediterranean flair, the backdrop, the small restaurants and boutiques…. it’s just drop-dead gorgeous.
Certainly a good spot for an extended break and a cappuccino at one of the cafes along the promenade.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #36
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Back on the road, the tack south along the western shore to Cannobio, then up a narrow, but sweet, stretch along the Val Cannobina to Malesco. It’s narrow and tight with 100 bends a minute…pure genius!! What a cracker…
Into the Centovalli, turning into the Valle Maggia just short of Locarno, the road rising from barely 200m to 2400m past the Lago del Naret .

Along the steep climb are Cavergno and Fusio. But boy…it’s worth the effort! Past Lago Sambucco, the narrow track keeps climbing steeply to the Lago del Naret, where the road tapers out into walking tracks. As the crow flies, it’d be barely 10km to Airolo at the foot of the St. Gotthard Pass.

Lago del Naret

Returning into the valley, a herd of cows blocked the way, forcing us to yet another welcome break.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #37
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Along the way to Locarno, we dropped into one of the numerous, beautiful mountain villages of the Tessin area

Not a museum! There are still living people!

at Valle Maggia

…before hitting some rain on our way to Locarno.
Was it enough to climb into the rain gear ? Dietmar took the plunge and suited up, the rest of us just kept going…the drizzle stopped as we entered the small city, it was getting warm again and Dietmar was still wearing his rain gear, slowly melting away in the plastic skin.
Some dark clouds were still threatening, but NO, not a drop. With each set of lights, Dietmar peeled of bits and pieces, but it only finally came off completely at the campsite.
Yet another brilliant day!!

11. Day routing:

Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #38
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Day 12 …and last:

Back home!
After breaking camp and stowing everything on the bikes it’s off to Bellinzona and up the
Valle Mesolcina to cross the San Bernadino Pass (2065 m)– yet another plum-ride for any biker. Sweeping bends, magnificent views…even on the downhill stretch following the Upper Rhein Valley into Splügen, and up the same-named pass. The Splügenpass (2113 m) had already been a staging point on the previous trip, no-way we’d skip that one!

Splügenpass

A smorgasbord of bends leads across the border into Italy at the top, then more of the same downhill into Chiavenna.
A Winnebago displayed some problems, partially mastering the bends with 3-point turns…
Up the Bergell valley and the Maloja-Pass (1815 m)…which really is a one-way pass, as it doesn’t drop down again, but the top of the pass becoming the valley-floor of the Upper Engadin-Valley.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #39
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Past those sparkling lakes of the Engadin: Lake Sils , Lake Silvaplana, Lake Champfer and finally Lake St Moritz.

Lake Sils

Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #40
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Lake St. Moritz

Engadin overview

Through St. Moritz, Samedan, Zernez and Susch/Süs. At Giarsum a road leads uphill to Guarda, a typical Engadine-style village, the buildings are gorgeous.
The road keeps going via Bos-cha and Ardez up to Ftan, before returning to the main road just short of Scuol.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #41
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

To finish off our big Swiss loop, it was through Pfunds and Prutz – with the customary side-trip across the Pillerhöhe (1558 m) - into the Pitz-Valley.

Pillerhöhe

Old 01-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #42
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Via Imst, the Hahntennjoch (1903 m), the Lech Valley and the Gaichtpass (1093 m)

Gaichtpass

Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #43
IceCreamSoldier
suffering somewhere

Oddometer: 478
Excellent

I lived in a small village above Nyon (on Lac Leman) from 2005 to 2008. You've brought back some great memories. I don't think many Americans realize how great the road surfaces are in Switzerland, in my 40k km of riding, I rarely recall any gravel in the corners or potholes. Your photography is fantastic AND linking together 12 consecutive days of fairly dry roads and sunny skies . Thanks for sharing.
IceCreamSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #44
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

into the Tannheimer-Valley,

finishing with the Oberjochpass (1178 m) back into Sonthofen.

Last Day routing:

Wrapup:

What a grand loop !!!
It came to nearly 3000km in total, the team of 4 proved a brilliant group once again.
Some parts/ roads were new to me…but to wrap it all into one loop was a hoot!!
And apart from those 2 days of rain at the start, even the weather played the part.
A really recommendable route, that shows off

…Switzerland at it’s Best!!

…Scenery at a GRANDE scale!!

…Roads? The dream never stops!!

With the best greatings from Germany!
Rudi

Old 01-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #45
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Note:

You'll find the original german Version under http://www.motorradrudi.info/Motorra...eiz.159.0.html - there you can only find a kmz-file (view via google-earth) under each day. So you can follow the whole journey via satellite!

If anyone have any questions about the tour or Switzerland at all, I'll think I can answer. Because I love this country, and I've been there many times - by motorbike, by car, by train and on foot (and wonderful thing in the mountains!).

With the best greatings from Germany
Rudi

motorradrudi screwed with this post 01-13-2009 at 10:14 AM