Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
VDRZANE OP
Salty Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Question What is the painted dot on a new tire for? Heavy or light spot?

My new Metzeler Tourance tires have two red painted dots on them. I have heard that this is supposed to be the 'heavy' spot/side of the tire itself and should be mounted OPPOSITE of the valve stem. I have also heard that the painted dot should be mounted WITH the valve stem. Which is correct?

What is the TRUE purpose of the painted dot? I'd like to get to the bottom of this with some concrete proof and not just some people's guesses!

Ok, this will be my last question on this whole tire changing gig...I swear!
Old 05-18-2004, 09:35 PM   #2
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,223
Painted DOT = Valve stem

Old 05-18-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
Guzz
Gutless wonder

Oddometer: 4,898
Also:
Tire Painted dot = Light spot

So...
Painted dot goes to rim heavy spot (not always at the valve stem)

Putting the light dot on the heavy spot will help minimize the use of lead weights. I forgot this last time, and my rear tire has a boat load lead on the rim

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson
Guzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:07 PM   #4
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzler
Also:

So...
Painted dot goes to rim heavy spot (not always at the valve stem)
Uppsss...

On this topic I take my helmet and show my neck to guy Guzzler the shinning knit,,,that i did not know

so now the question is,,how is the lammo guy at the shop is going to know were the heavy spot is on the wheel,,believe me I'm being there and you never "balance" a rim with out the tyre looking for the heavy spot...
Old 05-18-2004, 10:59 PM   #5
irazu
WTF

Oddometer: 165
In the automotive world it is opposite. I think that is where the confussion comes from.
irazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
BorisTas
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Hey Guys,

Now your treading in some confusing ground. For a start all tyre manufacturers vary the purpose and placement of colored dots on tyres. In a lot of cases the red dot indicates the point of highest RFV (radial force variation) ie. the stifest point of the tyre and is placed to the lowest point of the rim (normaly practiced by OE manufacturers) In these situations there is often a yellow dot on the tyre as well and this in fact represents the lightest point of the tyre. Folklore tells us that this point goes to the valve to allow for the extra weight of the valve assembly, however as my $11,000 tyre and whhel balancer tells me daily this is quite often not the case. I realise i haven't answered the question but just thought I'd point out it's not that straight forward.

Mick

One is all you need ,
Two is a Luxury
Any more is an indulgence
BorisTas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 11:51 PM   #7
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
If you need more than 30 grams of wheel weight, the tyre needs to be rotated to compensate. The dot's can be mis leading. Personal opinion, a good static balance works just as well (if not better) the the very expensive ones... but it takes the time and proper set-up to get perfect balance. Dynamic balance (where tyres are even shaved and balanced ON the bike) are rarely needed by mere mortals... this precision is limited to the extreme speed and race only equipment.

I have had to re-mount a tyre three times to get the wheel weights < 30 gram... and if you do a lot of aggressive off-road, you might want to use duct tape to secure the weight. BTW - CLEAN the areas where you plan to fix the wheel weight well, (alcohol) so it adheres well, and take note of how many and what weights you have ... just in case you loose one. (Rarely seen when properly cleaned and secured)

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:52 AM   #8
Mudhen
Foul Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bull
If you need more than 30 grams of wheel weight, the tyre needs to be rotated to compensate.
Ouch. Just got my bike back from the the dealer and had a new rear TKC installed. 80 grams. I thought that seemed excessive...almost 3 times the legal limit. Like I haven't been there before...
Mudhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:26 AM   #9
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 798
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen
Ouch. Just got my bike back from the the dealer and had a new rear TKC installed. 80 grams. I thought that seemed excessive...almost 3 times the legal limit. Like I haven't been there before...
I would recommend a polite concirned letter and call to the business owner shairing your concirn and see how he can help. If neded you can then elevate the issue several ways. All tyre work has strict guidlines.

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 06:35 AM   #10
Robert
KickAss Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
Balance a tire???
I always stik the red dot at the valve stem
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 10:02 AM   #11
Guzz
Gutless wonder

Oddometer: 4,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
so now the question is,,how is the lammo guy at the shop is going to know were the heavy spot is on the wheel,,believe me I'm being there and you never "balance" a rim with out the tyre looking for the heavy spot...
You put just put the rim alone on the balancer, spin and mark it. Just an extra step (which I ALWAYS forget to do One of these days, I'll get it right)

You know, it just dawned on me. When I got my GS, there was an orange sticker on the rim (from the factory). I didn't pay much attention to it, and took it off when washing the bike (wanted a "clean" bike). I think that sticker may have been the mark for the rim's heavy spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irazu
In the automotive world it is opposite. I think that is where the confussion comes from.
Ding ding ding!!!! I think we have winner to explain the confusion!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisTas
Now your treading in some confusing ground. For a start all tyre manufacturers vary the purpose and placement of colored dots on tyres. In a lot of cases the red dot indicates the point of highest RFV (radial force variation) ie. the stifest point of the tyre and is placed to the lowest point of the rim (normaly practiced by OE manufacturers) In these situations there is often a yellow dot on the tyre as well and this in fact represents the lightest point of the tyre. Folklore tells us that this point goes to the valve to allow for the extra weight of the valve assembly, however as my $11,000 tyre and whhel balancer tells me daily this is quite often not the case. I realise i haven't answered the question but just thought I'd point out it's not that straight forward.
I've always wondered about that, yellow vs red dot. I've seen both on some tires, looked at them, wondered, but never asked the question of "Why two dots?"

Thanks for the info!

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson
Guzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #12
delmartin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDRZANE
My new Metzeler Tourance tires have two red painted dots on them. I have heard that this is supposed to be the 'heavy' spot/side of the tire itself and should be mounted OPPOSITE of the valve stem. I have also heard that the painted dot should be mounted WITH the valve stem. Which is correct?

What is the TRUE purpose of the painted dot? I'd like to get to the bottom of this with some concrete proof and not just some people's guesses!

Ok, this will be my last question on this whole tire changing gig...I swear!
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering too. This is straight from the Metzeler website ...

How does Metzeler mark it's tires for balancing?
Metzeler ONLY marks the DOT (code) side of the tire with either one or two red or yellow paint dots. These are to be lined up with the valve stem. If the the tire does not have any red or yellow dots on the DOT side of the tire, then do not worry about placement on the rim. And every street tire must be balanced to provide proper handling and performance.
delmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
Number 6
Minty-Fresh Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Okay, what about TKCs? I don' see no stinkin' dot marking.

Wassup with the voices in my head speaking pig-latin?
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #14
Caribou Aqua Buddha
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,983
Make your own dot with a felt marker, this is also usefull if you cannot get the dot to line up after the tire is mounted.
Caribou Aqua Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318
No dot.. install as you please.. red dot, install dot near stem, as per Metzeler's site..

But Metzeler doesn't make the TKC.. so that doesn't apply to it.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote