Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #211
fozzy17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak
I want one! Dammit, Yamaha. North Americans want cool adventure bikes too.

I was surprised, though, to learn that it is considerably heavier than the 640 Adventure. How does it feel in the rough stuff?
its shite in standard form, its ok low speed, try going fast and you will kill yourself, front bottoms out way to easy...
fozzy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #212
Nelis04
Adventure Newbee

Oddometer: 77
I find it easier in offroading than my F650gs that i ued to have.
This one just feels a lot better and gives me more confidence.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 AM   #213
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
Ok you muppets...

I had to sold my KTM 640 Adventure (25000 offroad km on the clock, RIP) and am in for a new Tenere now.
BUT after studying the big bad not-so-Japanese-but-made-in-Italy bike I noticed a couple of things:

- The looks are dakar-ish but I yet have to see one person who has actually ridden a Tenere in serious off-road conditions. It seems most of the owners dream about dunes but never actually crossed one with their Tenere. PLEASE SHOW ME OTHERWISE. I need to know from someone who actually DID it

- The bike is WAY too heavy... I thought of reducing weight starting with footpegs, passenger pegs, front wheel (omg is that a steel rim?), rear wheel etc

- Why you need two silly brake discs? I hated it when KTM did it to the new Adventure as well, so I recon, 1 300 mm disc is enough

- Steel brake lines, not the rubberized stuff...

- Exhaust: are they serious, needs replacement and not with an overpriced Akra

- Power: 43 or 45 hp of what is it is pretty lame. I'm not a bhp dude but I think 55 would be perfect for such a bike

- Stock suspension needs some work I think

So, ideas, tips, and proof of SERIOUS offroad riding (I'm talking 60 mph sand crossing etc, not 10 mph "I just made it alive through this little stream" stuff :-)

Sorry if it sounds so harsh, don't get me wrong I think the Tenere is a wonderful bike to start from as a basis to make something really cool... but it yet has to convince me of its capabilities offroad. My KTM Adventure could easily do it (and I did it, 2 weeks in Morocco off-road only) but is the Tenere up to it!?

Thanks for your help!

Dom

BTW Cotthem, yes I mailed you a long time back about the Tenere vs. KTM Adventure 990... but the KTM 990 Adventure is way too heavy for offroad, so I'm back at the Tenere :-)
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 AM   #214
BAP
Formally FYREGUY73

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMan
Ok you muppets...

I had to sold my KTM 640 Adventure (25000 offroad km on the clock, RIP) and am in for a new Tenere now.
BUT after studying the big bad not-so-Japanese-but-made-in-Italy bike I noticed a couple of things:

- The looks are dakar-ish but I yet have to see one person who has actually ridden a Tenere in serious off-road conditions. It seems most of the owners dream about dunes but never actually crossed one with their Tenere. PLEASE SHOW ME OTHERWISE. I need to know from someone who actually DID it

- The bike is WAY too heavy... I thought of reducing weight starting with footpegs, passenger pegs, front wheel (omg is that a steel rim?), rear wheel etc

- Why you need two silly brake discs? I hated it when KTM did it to the new Adventure as well, so I recon, 1 300 mm disc is enough

- Power: 43 or 45 hp of what is it is pretty lame. I'm not a bhp dude but I think 55 would be perfect for such a bike

So, ideas, tips, and proof of SERIOUS offroad riding (I'm talking 60 mph sand crossing etc, not 10 mph "I just made it alive through this little stream" stuff :-)

Sorry if it sounds so harsh, don't get me wrong I think the Tenere is a wonderful bike to start from as a basis to make something really cool... but it yet has to convince me of its capabilities offroad. My KTM Adventure could easily do it (and I did it, 2 weeks in Morocco off-road only) but is the Tenere up to it!?

Thanks for your help!

Dom

BTW Cotthem, yes I mailed you a long time back about the Tenere vs. KTM Adventure 990... but the KTM 990 Adventure is way too heavy for offroad, so I'm back at the Tenere :-)
Just look at Jmo mate. Yep its been modified but still the same donk. The Tenere has been ridden around the world and out west in Australia. You can find faults in most bikes if you look but in my opinion the tenere is a good bike.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:55 AM   #215
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Ok you muppets...

Thanks for your help!

Dom

Hey mate,

You are confusing an Adventure Bike with a Rally Bike.

You cant compare the Tenere with the 990 Ktm, yes maybe they almost weigh the same. The Tenere carries its weight lower though. Its more fuel effiecent and the 660motor is dead stone reliable. Lets just say your fuel pump wont just give in after 10 miles from home.

Its not a pillion bike. Rack-it Pack-it and head off around the world. This bike will make it without any trouble. I know of plenty 1200GSA's and 990 Katooms that give in on the easy way down from Europe to South Africa.

But it will never come close to the hooliganism the KTM offers its riders.

So if you want tire shredding power and endless stunt riding, the Tenere is not meant for you.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:01 AM   #216
QMan
prof. dirt mover

@Fyreguy73: True, every bike has its faults... I changed a lot on the Katoom, all silly things but annoying, like wires from the ignition lock that got loose and gave bad contact... So I'm sure every bike needs work... but I'm a bit scared the Tenere is too much of a 'good old stone dead reliable but boring bike

@stevh0: I'm not looking for a rally bike, but i'm also not looking for an Adventure bike that - forgive me - makes me fall asleep at the bars :°) Let's all be honest we do like cranking up the speed... I'm not takling ridiculous speeds like KTM Rally bikes and you're 100% true about the reliability thing for a 990 Adventure vs a Tenere, but reality wise, the stock bhp output from the Tenere is well... low.

I'm not looking for pillion possibilities either. Extra passenger means more weight :-)

And no stunt riding or tyre shredding, but a bit more power would be nice, no?

I know Jmo rebuilt the entire bike but I never read how much the bike weighed after the rebuilt... Jmo? :-)
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #217
stevh0
Super Retard.

Quote:
@Fyreguy73: True, every bike has its faults... I changed a lot on the Katoom, all silly things but annoying, like wires from the ignition lock that got loose and gave bad contact... So I'm sure every bike needs work... but I'm a bit scared the Tenere is too much of a 'good old stone dead reliable but boring bike

@stevh0: I'm not looking for a rally bike, but i'm also not looking for an Adventure bike that - forgive me - makes me fall asleep at the bars :°) Let's all be honest we do like cranking up the speed... I'm not takling ridiculous speeds like KTM Rally bikes and you're 100% true about the reliability thing for a 990 Adventure vs a Tenere, but reality wise, the stock bhp output from the Tenere is well... low.

I'm not looking for pillion possibilities either. Extra passenger means more weight :-)

And no stunt riding or tyre shredding, but a bit more power would be nice, no?

I know Jmo rebuilt the entire bike but I never read how much the bike weighed after the rebuilt... Jmo? :-)
I know what you mean. I rode the XTZ last year at the Sa launch. I could not believe it was a 660. Ive ridden XR250's that felt stronger.

I do believe with a filter and a decent exhaust power increases on the torque side of life.

Yamaha was going on about the suspension and how they said it was so great and blah blah. I ride a WR450 and I know what a bike should feel like in the dirt with goodsuspension. The KTM990 works well, the tenere is hard and does not like jumping. Even 5 foot air hurts when you get back to earth. Where it does work though is on the gravel highways... 100mph with no real trouble... just dont give me a 90 degree bend at that speed.

For the time I had it, falling asleep at the bars was just something I had to deal with... sadly.
Ex 950ADV
Old 01-25-2010, 03:42 AM   #218
fungas
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
@Fyreguy73: So I'm sure every bike needs work... but I'm a bit scared the Tenere is too much of a 'good old stone dead reliable but boring bike
sorry mate, if i read you corectly then that is the case. no matter what you do, it will never ever feel like the 640. compering to the austrian race horse, this basic bike has no engine, no suspension, no soul. and this is coming from a guy that bought one, yes?

about dunes and dry sand, well, those great minds in japan must have never seen eney, or else why would they raze the rear seat so much that you can't move back? even when standing it's so high, it f#$%ing kicks you over the handlebars when riding over bumpy sand.
shame. could have been a much better bike when it comes to that. as a previuos 640 owner to another, i can tell you this: TENERE is half way. but reliable...

FUNGAS
fungas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:01 AM   #219
stevh0
Super Retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungas
sorry mate, if i read you corectly then that is the case. no matter what you do, it will never ever feel like the 640. compering to the austrian race horse, this basic bike has no engine, no suspension, no soul. and this is coming from a guy that bought one, yes?

about dunes and dry sand, well, those great minds in japan must have never seen eney, or else why would they raze the rear seat so much that you can't move back? even when standing it's so high, it f#$%ing kicks you over the handlebars when riding over bumpy sand.
shame. could have been a much better bike when it comes to that. as a previuos 640 owner to another, i can tell you this: TENERE is half way. but reliable...

FUNGAS
Im 6'4 and even I, when I swing my leg over the bike landed with it on me after my boot hooked the seat
Ex 950ADV
Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 AM   #220
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Ok... Fungas, why on earth did you a buy a Tenere then? Don't say it's only because of the reliability. No one I nkow tens to trade fun for dullness :-)

As far as I can understand the seat problem can be fixed... it's only a friggin' seat

I'm 6'2" myself so... I'd probably have the same problem...
Old 01-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #221
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamos
Carb thumpers ran better than the new fuel injected, except consumption.
That's not abnormal, usually carbs are still better then injection..; and Yamaha injection never has been top of the bill...
I think it sucks that the Tenere comes with injection, but well, it's the modern era I guess :p
Keihin anyone :-)))
Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #222
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by K44rll
Seen at Touratech open day last weekend....

For a minute I thought I saw a Tenere under all that junk...
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 AM   #223
regie308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,434
For the past few post's i do agree, some people here are confusing adventure riding with trail blazing at speed......... this is a "dual sport bike" it does have soul, just in a different way. Its being aimed at comfort for both on and off road, not to be brilliant at one thing but good enough at everything for touring, exploring and thats what it has been made for out of the box.

I have only been a trail/enduro rider and now since buying the tenere, i have kept my WR for adrenalin days for getting a buzz. The tenere gives me a buzz also but it is the half and half bike that i can jump on and comute or i can get out there when the planets align and ride accross Australia.

FOR ADVENTURE RIDING ITS GOT:
its got good enough susp. travel (person/load depending could use stiffer springs in forks)
its comfy
its got good enough power (and a bit more can be obtained with mods)
its got good fuel economy (being EFI)

If you feel that you need more than this just to take in Vista's then go get a KTM. The trip that one is on....... is where the sole really comes from, not the bike.

But anyway there is another thread for these questions/opinions that can be answered by many other tenere owners so how about we put this back on topic of getting pictures up here

cheers
regie.

IT's NOT GAY!... UNLESS THE BALL's TOUCH
regie308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #224
fungas
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Ok... Fungas, why on earth did you a buy a Tenere then? Don't say it's only because of the reliability. No one I nkow tens to trade fun for dullness :-)

As far as I can understand the seat problem can be fixed... it's only a friggin' seat

I'm 6'2" myself so... I'd probably have the same problem...
well, i bought it because it's alot cheeper than the euro-bikes. thinking it has got the basic structure and the potential to be a good on-off-roader.
just got the two akra's and they gave it nothing but sound. good sound no doubt, but that's it. desapointing.
going to go for front springs and power-commander next. if it doesn't "wake up" after that, well i guess it'll have to go as soon as possible. no more money spent on this one after that. been there, done that.

Fungas
hoping to fall in love with the tenere, but losing hope.
fungas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #225
Molgan
nub

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungas
going to go for front springs and power-commander next. if it doesn't "wake up" after that, well i guess it'll have to go as soon as possible. no more money spent on this one after that. been there, done that.

Fungas
hoping to fall in love with the tenere, but losing hope.
If you're not already a member, join xt660.com and get all the performance enhancing info you need. For example dyno results for all modifications before you spend your money on it.
Molgan is offline   Reply With Quote