Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #751
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,691
bikes in the US come in a better price as a whole than most other locations in the world. my guess is between 7-8K

as far a build quality, many would be happy with the build quality of the 660 and not need it to be like the 690. his comment on KTM money waster refers to the issue that KTM need alot more TLC than Japanese machines. i've seen KTM owners say over and over they are always needing something for their bikes whereas Japanese bike owners fill it w/ gas and go. don't confuse your love for KTM w/ the reality they need more work time...they are high performance machines and that's how it rolls. it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
In some neighbour thread someone did a remarkable statement:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=37

There is something I would like to add. You are calling it money wasters for whatever reasons. I cannot tell.
On the other hand, you have no idea what the Tenere would be charged at your location if available.

But Tenere quality of building, especially suspension is so much inferior compared to build quality of a 690 enduro. Also its technical limitations (high balance point, extreme seat height, reduced rear max travel possible) need to be considered in case you want to convert it. A lot of things can be done, but you would get those things for free with different models (well, not with an oldfashioned KLR and DR, for sure, but I won't discuss those dinosaur bikes at all).
I decided to bring my Tenere to a level of similar quality (neither reaching suspension travel of a 690 nor reaching anything near in weight) and I may assure you that was way more expensive than just buying a 690 and maybe put on some more fuel reservoir if necessary.
The 690 finally has got a very durable engine, is low on fuel consumption and has got lots of power if needed.
However, it rides different than the Tenere, since it has got a new engine generation while the tenere engine is an oldstyle thumper (which is kind of nice for relaxed riding). While the latter basically is a recreational touring bike (taking some abuse, just in case), the 690 is a sporty ride with full allround capabilities if needed. However, in my opinion best buy for dualsport if you like to keep all options and if you like the performance.
Otherwise, the WR250R would be the great option. The WR is a nobrainer as I call it. Buy and ride.
All of those are very durable thumpers, worth of their money. Just calling it money wasters does not at all tell the truth. You get what you pay for, and that is for sure. Look at the details, the suspension and the build quality, also engine weight, performance and so on for the total view of it, and you will realize, the Tenere is an option, but not _the_ option.
Phil
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #752
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
In some neighbour thread someone did a remarkable statement:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=37

There is something I would like to add. You are calling it money wasters for whatever reasons. I cannot tell.
On the other hand, you have no idea what the Tenere would be charged at your location if available.

But Tenere quality of building, especially suspension is so much inferior compared to build quality of a 690 enduro. Also its technical limitations (high balance point, extreme seat height, reduced rear max travel possible) need to be considered in case you want to convert it. A lot of things can be done, but you would get those things for free with different models (well, not with an oldfashioned KLR and DR, for sure, but I won't discuss those dinosaur bikes at all).
I decided to bring my Tenere to a level of similar quality (neither reaching suspension travel of a 690 nor reaching anything near in weight) and I may assure you that was way more expensive than just buying a 690 and maybe put on some more fuel reservoir if necessary.
The 690 finally has got a very durable engine, is low on fuel consumption and has got lots of power if needed.
However, it rides different than the Tenere, since it has got a new engine generation while the tenere engine is an oldstyle thumper (which is kind of nice for relaxed riding). While the latter basically is a recreational touring bike (taking some abuse, just in case), the 690 is a sporty ride with full allround capabilities if needed. However, in my opinion best buy for dualsport if you like to keep all options and if you like the performance.
Otherwise, the WR250R would be the great option. The WR is a nobrainer as I call it. Buy and ride.
All of those are very durable thumpers, worth of their money. Just calling it money wasters does not at all tell the truth. You get what you pay for, and that is for sure. Look at the details, the suspension and the build quality, also engine weight, performance and so on for the total view of it, and you will realize, the Tenere is an option, but not _the_ option.
Phil

The Money Waster thing was just a bit of snark because of both the high initial purchase price and the premium price for spares and farkles for both KTM and BMW (at least in Canada). And as the post you referenced above counseling to just buy a 690 now and a KLR when you get old and krusty, well I am old and krusty and I'm weary of the '42 Willys feel of my KLR. I want just a bit more refinement in, as I said earlier, a dirt road bike since my single track, tree bashing days are over, at least intentionally.

Sorry if I offended, it wasn't my intention. I'm sure KTM and BMW make fine motorcycles, just not for me.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #753
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
While ridin' in Kontich, near Antwerp, a fellow Tenere rider saw me passin´ by and took this piccie of me with his cellphone....
Attached Images

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #754
mattias se
1975mandel

Oddometer: 18
exhaust muffler

hey has anyone also had changed his muffler at his Tenere
2009 (500mil) and my brother in law in 2008 (1800mil) had switched in on warranty, they sounded kind man stood and kicked at a gym floor with sneakers, type = a chirp or a ping

http://translate.google.se(sorry) bad writting
sweden
mattias se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #755
mrwolfer1
mrwolfer1

Oddometer: 44
here is mine..

here is mine..
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #756
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias se View Post
hey has anyone also had changed his muffler at his Tenere
2009 (500mil) and my brother in law in 2008 (1800mil) had switched in on warranty, they sounded kind man stood and kicked at a gym floor with sneakers, type = a chirp or a ping

http://translate.google.se(sorry) bad writting
sweden
Several people had it replaced for that reason.

Yamaha refused to replace my damaged muffler (see video at my blog article) after a little more than 2 years of usage. It was totally damaged inside 10000km after it had started making those noises initially. Thank you, Yamaha.
However, my dealer offered me the fine Akrapovic system, charging the price of the stock muffler. This is what I did and I am happy with it.

We should really move to a different discussion thread to go on with this, since this a picture thread. Sorry.
---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265147
Let us go on there, if appropriate.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #757
Faulpelz
Offroader

Oddometer: 71
why that ?
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #758
mrwolfer1
mrwolfer1

just for fun

my bike .. just for fun..
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #759
mrwolfer1
mrwolfer1

hey ho..

:)
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #760
mrwolfer1
mrwolfer1

Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #761
mrwolfer1
mrwolfer1

Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #762
mrwolfer1
mrwolfer1

my bike

my bike ..
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2011, 03:03 AM   #763
senoj
senoj 54 but now 55

Oddometer: 53
does the Tenere replace the DR

Gentlemen
My DR650 was written off by a car driving over it (I was not on the bike). At 26000klm after the first year I loved the simple nature of the bike but would have liked a little smoother engine and on road performance for the longer hauls.

My Questions are;

1. What revs is the Tenere pulling at 100kph
  2. Does anyone ride one to work (I do a round 155klm trip on open highways)
  3. What issues are you having on 45,000 plus bikes (what I do in 2 years)
  4. What is the seat like after 3 to 4 hours.
  5. How do you rate the headlight
Thanks for your time.

Regards to all.
senoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #764
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 5,732
I'm gonna recommend a Versys.. but..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #765
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by senoj View Post
Gentlemen
My DR650 was written off by a car driving over it (I was not on the bike). At 26000klm after the first year I loved the simple nature of the bike but would have liked a little smoother engine and on road performance for the longer hauls.

My Questions are;

1. What revs is the Tenere pulling at 100kph
  2. Does anyone ride one to work (I do a round 155klm trip on open highways)
  3. What issues are you having on 45,000 plus bikes (what I do in 2 years)
  4. What is the seat like after 3 to 4 hours.
  5. How do you rate the headlight
Thanks for your time.

Regards to all.
1: 100kph @ 4000rpm ;
2: nope, just for pleasure, weekends, short and long trips;
3: mine just passed 67.000km's; issues(minor imho) so far:
-breather replaced under warranty;
-locks replaced under warranty(typical Yamaha issue);
-cushdrive rubbers wear fast(first set replaced under warranty, thereafter on my account), an average of 20.000km.
-some had problems with the regulator/rectifier, causing the battery to die; not on mine however, still runnin' the
first battery;
That's about it, for mine; it's a reliable bike with a solid engine, good fuel economy and lotsa fun to ride, a real
allround allroad/travel bike.
4: the seat is pretty comfortable, long ridin' days are possible; however for very long rides I use an Airhawk; the
longest stretch I did on one day was 800km's, no problem;
5: depending on your demands, it'll do; it's just fine for me.

Out of the box/crate it's a good bike already, but with some upgrades/mods you'll have a even better bike. But remember this: it does a pretty good job offroad(with the proper tyres!), but it still is an allroad or, like Yamaha says, an adventure travel bike. Lik I said, it's really an allround allroad bike, which is very multi-purpose imho!
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote