Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #826
Kevin K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I was in Italy with my family about 10 years ago. I saw XT660 (600?) that appeared to come through with Ohlin shocks as OEM. I wont argue that,just noticed every XT I saw had one on the rear. What shock does the Tenere come with?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #827
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsystem View Post
Here I am with a Xmas gift for my "TenerBike" ... a new seat:

Happy Xmas to all of you!

Paolo
God, I hate you. How do you say that in Italian?

Love the bike, my statement is uttered out of jealousy only, and should not be taken seriously.

Happy Ho Ho Ho day!!!

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #828
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
You didnt say how much the Tenere weighs; I guess my only point is for the weight the power is insufficient.

On my wish list is a bike, say along the physical size and width of the Tenere that has a V twin in it and only weighs 300lbs wet. That is a reasonable size to handle and with north of 75HP would be sufficient to move it around. Big enough to travel on, light enough to do some trail riding. Not an unreasonable request someone just needs to build it as the ones that come close are either unreliable or compromised in some way.
Insufficient for what? That 46bhp will push it to about 100mph, or more usefully cruise at 80mph all day. Have you ever ridden one?

I haven't weighed mine (and it's not standard any more anyway), so all I would be doing is googling the spec sheet. You can do that for yourself.

Wish lists are great, but I don't think you're likely to see that one fulfilled any time soon. 300lb is about the weight of a DR-Z400. You then want to double the engine output without making it any heavier or less reliable. Then increase the frame size and strength a bit for comfort and luggage capacity, without making it any heavier. Then add a bigger tank and a fairing, without making it heavier. Good luck with that one

I like the way we started by comparing the Tenere to a 990ADV, which while they are completely different solutions are at least aimed at the same problem, then we've gone through comparing it to the 950SE and 690E, and now we're comparing it to a fantasy bike.

Anyway, I'm done with this argument. Some of you apparently don't want a Tenere. That's cool, I don't get any commission from Yamaha for selling you one. But this thread is supposed to be about photos of people using Teneres. So on that note, here's mine about 18 months ago, and completely standard apart from Renthal bars...

dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #829
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
OEM rear shock is a Sachs. Mine is upgraded with a heavier progressive spring on the rear shock and progressive springs in the front forks, both Hyperpro and did cost me around 300,- euros. So not that expensive, but it gives you a mucho better ride, more direct and better handling, no more divin' frontend with hard braking. And I think it wasn't bad right out of the box, but it 's just better now and that just for a few bucks....
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #830
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthumper View Post
..............on that note, here's mine about 18 months ago, and completely standard apart from Renthal bars...

Mmmm, must put in a complaint as mine didn't come as standard with the bash plate, handguards, off road tyres, high level mud guard, centre stand or that exhaust system.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #831
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberthumper View Post
These are two completely different statements

The second one is true (But you could also say "there's no way to compare price Tenere-KTM", or "There's no way to compare tank range Tenere KTM"). That's exactly what I've been saying.

The first one is utter nonsense, unless you define "serious use" as "racing". There are hundreds of thousands of miles worth of ride reports on here from all over the world from people using stock suspension. I'm sure they'd love to know you don't think they're doing it seriously.

I'm sure all the people who have bought Teneres and are perfectly happy with the stock suspension would all love to be forced to pay an extra few thousand to get suspension that you want, even if they don't want/need it.

If you want a KTM, buy a KTM, and stop whining that the Tenere isn't as 'good' as a bike that costs 50% more.

If you want a Tenere with suspension that is good enough for rally racing, do what I've done and upgrade a Tenere.

Otherwise, buy a Tenere and have fun riding it on the stock suspension, which is what I did for the 25,000 miles before I started upgrading.
Oh the joys of everlasting Yam-KTM owners battle.....

WTF Are you talking about? What KTM is 20-30 lbs heavier than Tenere 660? 950? Sure it is, but you can't compare those two bikes. Compare 690 to Tenere and the result would be exact opposite...

On the suspension, sure, Yam suspension is good enough for 90% of the owners but it's still weak and insufficient for SERIOUS (interpret that any way you want) riding. Forks are too soft and the shock overheats in sand if used properly.

If you read payser's posts a bit more carefully, you would have noticed that he owned the 950 se and a tricked up 690 (I believe it was a mecasystems-or similar adv kit with fairing, additional tanks, Akrapovič exhaust etc.) both of the above bikes are twice the bike that Tenere is.

Why he got a Tenere? I know why, but it's on him to inform you all. Anyway, stepping down from a KTM to tenere the suspension on the Yam is absolute crap. Among othert things.

@ payser...........sorry mate; but I think you know what you need to do to the bike to set it up for what you intend to do, so I don't see the point in talking to people here when in our local "ad pages" you can find some used WP USD forks, disc and an adapter, on the net pages of our KTM importer you have some nice and not too expensive PDS WP shocks with different rate springs......only problem that I see for you is finding a set of triple clamps and fitting it to the Tenere.

If you think I can hepl you with anything you know where to find me!

Cheers!

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #832
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,643
Uberthumper...

What side plates are you using on your Yam?

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #833
pmsystem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
That is such a nice bike Paolo

And you are good with your Nikon too. I was looking at your site

What is the cost on a new XT in Italy? Are they hard to find used? I dont know why but there is something about single cylinder bikes I that I really like
Thanks a lot.

Well, this is one of the cheaper bikes you can find on the market right now (except for the scooters but those "Things" are not motorbikes!! ;) )... and for used ones the pricing is much
better of course...you can find really good deals. Just to give you an idea, have a look to this site www.moto.it (is italian but you can choose languages) and look for xt660z.

Cheers

Paolo
Old 12-15-2011, 01:38 AM   #834
payser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica View Post
Oh the joys of everlasting Yam-KTM owners battle.....

@ payser...........sorry mate; but I think you know what you need to do to the bike to set it up for what you intend to do, so I don't see the point in talking to people here when in our local "ad pages" you can find some used WP USD forks, disc and an adapter, on the net pages of our KTM importer you have some nice and not too expensive PDS WP shocks with different rate springs......only problem that I see for you is finding a set of triple clamps and fitting it to the Tenere.
If you think I can hepl you with anything you know where to find me!
Cheers!
M.
You know that I know these things...but i tried to gather a few more,adequate-people opinions...but it seems that I have found just....never mind.

X challenge

payser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #835
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
Mmmm, must put in a complaint as mine didn't come as standard with the bash plate, handguards, off road tyres, high level mud guard, centre stand or that exhaust system.
Ok fair cop. The bash plate/engine guard/centre stand and exhaust are all Yamaha options (and I didn't pay for them, the previous owner of my bike did, so from my POV they are standard). The mud guard cost me about £20. I mentioned I had changed the bars, that kinda includes the handguards ;). But none of it is really serious modification along the lines of what people have been suggesting is 'essential'. It's not like the standard bike doesn't come with any exhaust system

I wore the OE tyres out before I replaced them, so I'm not counting that as a modification, just maintenance.

Compared to how it looks now, it was pretty standard then.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #836
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBO View Post
Uberthumper...

What side plates are you using on your Yam?

Side plates?
Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #837
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
.only problem that I see for you is finding a set of triple clamps and fitting it to the Tenere.
http://www.off-the-road.de/XT-660-Z-...-machined.html
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #838
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,431
While you guys struggle with Northern Hemisphere weather....I took my XT660Z out for a spin the other day....

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #839
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
I have these. They are very well made (as they should be for €750 ).

Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #840
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
on the net pages of our KTM importer you have some nice and not too expensive PDS WP shocks with different rate springs......only problem that I see for you is finding a set of triple clamps and fitting it to the Tenere.
There is no way of fitting any standard WP MX shock into the Tenere. Neither conventional nor PDS.
These shocks are way too long. You need to start with a smaller shock and try to fit the reservoir somehow.
There is nearly no space for a full size reservoir, but there are ways to fit one somehow:

Note this is a small MX4014 shock and this was the biggest WP shock that would fit the Tenere after lots of internal modifications at the shock. However, the downside is we had to reduce rear travel. This shock has only got 85mm of travel as opposed to 95mm of the stock Sachs shock. This sounds bad, but suspension quality is so much better, it feels like travel is increased considerably.
My idea was to modify the suspension triangle slightly to increase rear wheel travel, but there is no way to do so at that time.

On the other hand, there is no problem of finding triple clamps. You may just use KTM 690 triple clamps:

See triple clamps of the right bike. These are KTM 690 clamps with a tailormade steering tube and stock bearing.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote