Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #1381
jj_pt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
HI!!

well I am in the market for a midsize do it all motorcycle! and I see this XT660 as a front runner. Since this bike is not available in the USA I can buy it in my country for an expensive price and I was wondering what current owners say about it.

What I would like to know is simple
a) mpg? mph?
b) comfort. I would use it mostly street and many more 2 up miles than dirt
c) does it vibe? it is a thumper after all.
d) any other information you may have.

For reference I have driving a KLR and think it is normal height (every else is short), it's vibes are ok for up to 10 hrs. The VStrom 650 on the other hand is not tall, it is smooth and that is a good thing for me.
Thanks

Damasovi
a) 4,5 L / 100 Km. I'm able to do more than 500 Km with a full tank (23 L). I've been able to do 150 Km/H with no issues, but i find it cruises better at around 4000 RPM and 110 Km/H.
b) I do a lot of highway commuting (around 80 Km daily) and personally, I don't think this is the best bike for this type of riding. A Triumph 800XC has a much smoother engine. But, for dirt stints, I still find the XT660Z is better suited, due to it's simplicity and enough power. All the original reviews mentioned this bike was always more suited for off-road riding.
c) Yes. I have a few issues with this, specially after removing the weights on the bar, due to the Touratech hand protectors. I've been thinking in changing to another bike, probably the S10, due to the annoying micro vibes in the hands and feet. I'm buzzing just thinking of it. It's something that you don't notice in the dirt though.
d) The spokes will rust over time. It's necessary to replace the spokes for a stainless steel set. The non-ABS XT660Z is by default taller than the ABS version.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #1382
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
or you could come to Las Vegas where i have one for sale...PM me if you want details
aa trip to vegas! sounds like fun.. but I fear this will end up costing so much money....all the gambling and all. Just a question, where did you buy it? since it is not for sale in the US, Canada? or EU?

Damasovi
Old 05-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #1383
atobá
Atobá

Oddometer: 50
Pancas-Brasil

atobá is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #1384
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,955
Love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobá View Post

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #1385
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
aa trip to vegas! sounds like fun.. but I fear this will end up costing so much money....all the gambling and all. Just a question, where did you buy it? since it is not for sale in the US, Canada? or EU?

Damasovi
england...see ride reports below for details
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #1386
travelR6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
hi everyone,

since i joined this forum i really lust after an adventure bike which is capable of taking me a bit off the roads from time to time. i also plan on doing some weeklong trips (camping) on the bike, so it should have longer maintainance intervalls. the xt660z seems to be a good deal for the money and its a yami . the local dealer organized a test ride (they have only !1! testbike in austria) for me next week and i am really looking forward to it.

if i am happy with the bike, i'd consider buying a used one. actually there is one for sale with 39000km (~24500miles) on it with progressive forks and a ohlins damper. is there anything which is against going for this bike? what milage could i expect from a xt660z engine? does this model have any general problems i should know?

thanks for help,

greetz
travelR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #1387
UKbri
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 157
Hi there
You need to get on www.xt660.com for all the in depth answers. The usual problems are
-Rectifier/Regulator connector
-Lack of grease in steering head bearings
-Lack of grease in swing arm bearings.
There are a few untouched engines out there around the 80,000 mile mark and one over 100,000 with new piston rings.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #1388
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelR6 View Post
hi everyone,

since i joined this forum i really lust after an adventure bike which is capable of taking me a bit off the roads from time to time. i also plan on doing some weeklong trips (camping) on the bike, so it should have longer maintainance intervalls. the xt660z seems to be a good deal for the money and its a yami . the local dealer organized a test ride (they have only !1! testbike in austria) for me next week and i am really looking forward to it.

if i am happy with the bike, i'd consider buying a used one. actually there is one for sale with 39000km (~24500miles) on it with progressive forks and a ohlins damper. is there anything which is against going for this bike? what milage could i expect from a xt660z engine? does this model have any general problems i should know?

thanks for help,

greetz
No, everything mentioned, although I had no problems whatsoever with the electrical stuff, I even run the OEM battery at 92.000km´s(no oil consumption so far, engine still untouched, chain&sprockets and tyres around 20.000km's average, as are the cush-drive rubbers). It´s a reliable bike&engine, not that many hp's(but who cares?), very good fuel economy and EFI, smooth for a thumper, an allround allroad travel bike and most important....mucho fun to ride!!!
Ya won't regret it if ya get one, for sure!!
Good luck&greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #1389
travelR6
Gnarly Adventurer

thanks for the infos! i'll definitly check out xt660.com. glad to hear that there are still bikes out there, where you can put on some miles without having to worry about parts braking down during rides. do you guys think my body height might be a problem with the tenere? i am 170cm short, but managed to ride a 2012 690smc-r. had to mount it like a horse but then riding, coming to a stop in the city or so was no problem at all. i am definitly looking for the non abs version...
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #1390
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

I´m 1.92m and can flat-feet even with the stiffer progressive springs from Hyperpro and somewhat harder&wider saddle from Touratech/Kahedo(Original seat height); the standard Tenere is 895mm in height, the ABS Tenere is 860 in height, so it's your choice. And if you can tip-toe if you stand still, it's okay, isn't it?
Grtz., Hans.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #1391
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

For the record, this is my '08 White Tenere, 92.000km's, with all the latest farkles, such as the Touratech/Kahedo saddle, Touratech large Luggage carrier&tailbag.
Grtz., Hans.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #1392
ramar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
https://picasaweb.google.com/1111224...57480903158642

ramar screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 03:59 PM Reason: My Tenere
ramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #1393
travelR6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
I´m 1.92m and can flat-feet even with the stiffer progressive springs from Hyperpro and somewhat harder&wider saddle from Touratech/Kahedo(Original seat height); the standard Tenere is 895mm in height, the ABS Tenere is 860 in height, so it's your choice. And if you can tip-toe if you stand still, it's okay, isn't it?
Grtz., Hans.

yeah, i don't really care if i have to tip-toe.. it was the same on the 690 smc-r which also has a seat heigth of 890mm and had no problem with tip-toeing it. but i guess that also depends of the width of the seat.. we'll see. if the testride of the 660z convinces me i think there is still an option for lowering the seat a bit. the abs tenere doesn't really convince me... no adjustable suspension, no switch for the abs, lower ground clearance and also a lot less tires to choose.

good looking 660z you've got there. 92tkm and still looks like new
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #1394
BATMAN
Moss

Oddometer: 3
Old & New

Old

[IMG][/IMG]

New

[IMG][/IMG]
BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:37 AM   #1395
Sportakus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
For the record, this is my '08 White Tenere, 92.000km's, with all the latest farkles, such as the Touratech/Kahedo saddle, Touratech large Luggage carrier&tailbag.
Grtz., Hans.
Congratulations!!!!

YAMAHA XT660Z Ténéré 2008
KTM 690 Enduro R 2014
Sportakus is offline   Reply With Quote