User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Mconnell OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Options for eliminating buddy pegs

I don't have any use for the buddy pegs, and they bug me when I ride off-road. I saw in another thread where someone just sawed off the buddy peg support bars, and then capped off the stubs that were left.

Does anyone have a better suggestion? I don't suppose any company makes a replacement subframe without buddy peg supports, do they?
Old 12-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 728
Search works wonders.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660028
jengel451 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Mconnell OP
Adventurer

Thank you. Believe me, I tried to search this topic but didn't find this thread.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Use for "Buddy Pegs":

Find the twisties

Put it in 3rd gear.

Put feet on the back pegs.

Scare yourself silly with how the bike handles NOW.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
macbethandbanquo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Great for twisties!

I also use them for long stretches of Interstate when I'm heading home after a ride in the twisties. With my new Cee Bailey 18 incher I can ride in a very quiet mode. Great for rain too.
macbethandbanquo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
If you ever do long rides on the freeway it is really nice to have a few different ways to sit on your bike. Unless you are racing I can't see flipped up pegs being that much of a problem. Flipped down they sometimes will get in the way but I've gotten really good at kicking them up with my foot.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
To be honest, I would rather stand on the pegs for 30 seconds to a minute rather than do rear pegs on the freeway.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_C_Ries View Post
If you ever do long rides on the freeway it is really nice to have a few different ways to sit on your bike. Unless you are racing I can't see flipped up pegs being that much of a problem. Flipped down they sometimes will get in the way but I've gotten really good at kicking them up with my foot.
Its not about racing, its about bending the crap out of your subframe from a mild tipover on dirt. The OP isn't talking about removing just the pegs, he's talking about removing the whole assembly so that the ground doesn't have a fantastic leverage point to tweak the subframe with.

I plan on doing this as well:

12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
omekim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallrat View Post
Its not about racing, its about bending the crap out of your subframe from a mild tipover on dirt.

Somethings gotta hit the ground.... for me I'd rather it be the beefy looking passenger pegs. Every time I think of doing a similar 'peg-ectomy', I look at them again, notice how dirty they are from augering into the ground, and think they are kind of acting like rear crash-guards.
omekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Agree about them being a nuisance.

They take out your calves when your trying to walk the bike through technical stuff. And they potentially can end your ride if you hit them hard enough to take the tank out etc.

Do a search on how bad the subframe suffers when they hit. It's always been on my "to do" list, but just haven't gotten around to it.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omekim View Post
Somethings gotta hit the ground.... for me I'd rather it be the beefy looking passenger pegs. Every time I think of doing a similar 'peg-ectomy', I look at them again, notice how dirty they are from augering into the ground, and think they are kind of acting like rear crash-guards.

A crash guard out away from the fulcrum isn't a good crash guard. Hold somebody by the shoulders and tell them to resist twisting. Try and make them twist. Now have them put their arms straight out to their sides and tell them the same thing but this time place your hands on his hand and you get the mechanical advantage of their arm to push against. You'll be able to twist them without much force at all.

The same effect happens on your pegs when you fall over. At the 8" offset that our bikes' passenger pegs have, a 100 lb force at the peg exerts about 1600 lbs of twisting force on the subframe.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross

Wallrat screwed with this post 12-15-2014 at 05:49 PM
Old 12-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #12
omekim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Not sure I'm sold on your math, but you make a good point. 100lbs is 100lbs. 100lbs twisting at 8" is 75ft-lbs which is less than the torque to secure a lug nut on a car. And I don't think I could twist the subframe by hand. (now I'm just )

No doubt the passenger footpegs aren't the best crash bars (nor are they designed to be), and they have/do bend the sub-frame to shit, but depending on your setup and use, ymmv. But as I said: just consider, if the pegs don't hit, what will? Tank? Aftermarket exhaust? Sturdy pannier racks? Your choice.

I'm also temped to do the mod you posted a pic of but so far I still like my pegs hitting first at full un-rejoined strength. Then again, thinking it through as I write this, maybe there is an argument for using a soft joining sleeve so it acts a fuse.

Anyways, that's all getting off topic. OP wanted to know how to do it, not whether he should or not. I haven't seen anything aftermarket, but A&S Cycles shows the OEM rear frame on their fiche for $1k. So there is a way to "undo" if you really don't like your hacksaw job....
omekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 AM   #13
Wallrat
Studly Adventurer

Ha now that I look at it I may have done 8'? IDK but we agree so eff it.
12 Kuberg Start
13 Kuberg Cross
Old 12-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #14
Mconnell OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
Agree about them being a nuisance.

They take out your calves when your trying to walk the bike through technical stuff. .
This is my main concern. I want them gone in order to prevent an injury. I've been riding in more and more technical terrain the longer that I own the bike. I'm continually amazed at what it can do in an off-road situation.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mconnell View Post
This is my main concern. I want them gone in order to prevent an injury. I've been riding in more and more technical terrain the longer that I own the bike. I'm continually amazed at what it can do in an off-road situation.
Wait till you dab at anything more than a walking pace......this is getting me motivated.