Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
PhiSig1071 OP
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,556
BMW Cases VS Holan

So here's my quandary.

I purchased a used F8GS, it had the BMW/Touratech racks, sidecases, and top box. I really like the cases for commuting, and they'll be great for touring.

But I would like to get a set of soft bags for more off-road traveling. I don't think a set of Wolfman bags will work on the BMW racks because one side has the exhaust cut-out and the opposite side is formed to the bike and not flat.

I was thinking of selling them and going with the Holan symmetrical racks with Holan Nomada cases for commuting, and pulling the cases off and using a set of Wolfman Expedition bags for Baja, CDR, AZBDR, etc.

I already have an oval beowulf exhaust, so clearance on the Holan racks wont be an issue.

Has anyone used the Wolfman bags with the BMW racks? Am I totally wrong and they'll work fine? What about the Holans? Anybody have them? Opinions? Do you use them with soft bags or hard? Will they be too big for the Wolfman Expeditions?

Any input or opinions either way would be appreciated.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
RobLS
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Well I can't help you out with fitment and have not used either of the bags though. But if you do plan on selling the bmw/touratech setup, I would love to know what year your f8 is and may possibly be interested in taking the setup off your hands.
RobLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #3
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
What about the Holans? Anybody have them? Opinions? Do you use them with soft bags or hard? Will they be too big for the Wolfman Expeditions?

Any input or opinions either way would be appreciated.
Love my Holan symmetric rack and panniers! I haven't seen anything I would rather have and despite some negative comments on their service, I had no issue emailing Holan directly to replace a pannier cover.

I want to get the Wolfman packs as well. I was just going to get some tabs welded to the corners to imitate the Wolfman rack, but it sounds like they switched to a universal system as of last year anyways:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Universal Saddlebag Straps replace the former Other Strap Kit, and can be used in place of that kit with our saddlebags. Wolfman rack-mounted saddlebags shipping after October 11, 2013 have the Universal Saddlebag Straps included.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 802
http://giantloopmoto.com/products/siskiyou-panniers/
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
Unstable Rider
Moto Fotografist

Oddometer: 2,624
Holan-Nomada panniers are great.

They likely "followed" someone else's proven design, I cant find a single flaw, and will be getting a matching top box soon. I used SW Motech quick release hardware with them and it worked with them just fine,
in the event you have a bike they don't have hardware for.

Jason, the ADV resident importer is great to deal with as well. Plan ahead, the winter/off season a great time to get an order in.

Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
PhiSig1071 OP
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by jengel451 View Post
I thought about those, I read advFord's Places Beyond RR, and he used those with great success. The problem is I want more versatility with less work and less money. Those are $700, I could buy them, and keep my current set-up, then I would have hard cases for commuting and touring and those soft bags for off-road.

There are some problem's with that. I want to add a camel tank, and there are three different models, one for the BMW cases, one for no cases, and one for Holan, I'm not sure the one designed for the BMW rack will work without a rack, and I know having the tank on there increases the complexity of removing the rack. I would have to take the current hard cases off, and remove the racks, and switch to the Siskiyou's, which is more work then just pulling the cases off and throwing the wolfmans on, especially if I have a camel tank.

I can also get the Holan balanced rack and Wolfman bags for around $500, and add a set of the Nomada cases for about $600-700 with mounts/locks/etc (I'm assuming the prices on advmotorrad for the Nomada is for a single pannier?) and I can have the complete system for around $1,100-$1,200. Now, minus the amount I get for selling the very expensive BMW cases, and my out of pocket expenses may be nothing, I might end up with cash in my pocket vs shelling out $700 for the GL.

Their stuff is nice, (I have a coyote for my DRZ) but in my situation, it's too expensive and not versatile enough.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote