Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #16
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by border
I made a mount for my Aux lights from a cooking pan that I bought at Ross. I mounted the Trail Tech 2" 16 watt HID lamp to work with the high beam. I have the beams angled to high and outside so that I have some light in twisties. I can't seem to attach photos. Where can I get some help? http://picasaweb.google.com/boyd.ran...eat=directlink
The inventness of this idea is pretty good. I know they're slaved to the high beam but there will be times when your turn signals will be invisible (washed out) to folks who are in front of you.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #17
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I just finished installing a set of Touratech halogens. I don't have a picture site, so I cannot show them. I am very pleased with the result and the functionality. Plus that they look great on the bike.

TIP: The Touratech instructions advise to pick up the lighting relay drive by cutting into the cable harness which feeds the front headlight. I did not like this idea at all. I picked up the relay drive from the red/green wire which feeds the auxilliary socket next to the ignition key. Very clean, and you have couple of minutes of lighting delay when you switch off the bike. This is handy for getting into the garage when you get home etc. BTW, this wire is very accessible and you don't compromise the integrity of the cable harness.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I just finished installing a set of Touratech halogens.
Are you talking about their halogen fog lights that are something like 428 per pair? They look good.. Their xenon looks like it'd be nice but HOLY expensive, 570 per light!!...
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #19
Bushav8r
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
let there be light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I just finished installing a set of Touratech halogens. I don't have a picture site, so I cannot show them. I am very pleased with the result and the functionality. Plus that they look great on the bike.

TIP: The Touratech instructions advise to pick up the lighting relay drive by cutting into the cable harness which feeds the front headlight. I did not like this idea at all. I picked up the relay drive from the red/green wire which feeds the auxilliary socket next to the ignition key. Very clean, and you have couple of minutes of lighting delay when you switch off the bike. This is handy for getting into the garage when you get home etc. BTW, this wire is very accessible and you don't compromise the integrity of the cable harness.
I keep on buying stuff for a bike that isn't made yet let alone delivered. (delivery of my F800GS sometime this spring) I have been looking at the Touratech lights and feel compelled to buy them. Did you go with two fog lights, or one fog light and one HID light? Are they worth the high price? I agree that they do look really cool on the bike but I am having a hard time justifying the cost.
Bushav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #20
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
The Touratech HIDs are just Hella Micro DE xenons. They can be had for ~$400 for a pair on Ebay. I've got a set on my Monster that I use in a custom headlight set up I made. Bright is an understatement.... I've had people flash their lights me when I had both on in broad daylight.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Just looked at Amazon. A pair of the Hella micro DE halogens: 115 bucks. Micro DE in xenon for pair are 580. Not bad prices for either. 1/4 the price of TT for the non xenon and half the price of TT for the Xenon. But then again, it's damn hard to argue against the perfect TT mounts the lights come with... (but that's a REALLY high upcharge for some pretty housings)
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #22
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
I made a mount for my Aux lights from a cooking pan that I bought at Ross. I mounted the Trail Tech 2" 16 watt HID lamp to work with the high beam. I have the beams angled to high and outside so that I have some light in twisties. I can't seem to attach photos. Where can I get some help? http://picasaweb.google.com/boyd.ran...eat=directlink
You mean like this? Without having to use another picture server, right click on the pic you have at Google, click properties, copy the url address, click on the icon in the editing box when typing here, the one with the little mountain and sun, paste the url into the box that popped up and voila!

Now for the real question, how the heck did you make a bracket like that out of a cooking pan? cheers

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
border
collie

Oddometer: 6
Making a Aux. light bracket

I removed the beak with the four screws. I used the beak to trace on a piece of cardboard the shape of the bracket. Then I changed the shape to provide arms to mount the lights. I then traced the shape to the cooking pan. Drilled 1/2" holes at all the corners. Used a saber saw with a metal blade to cut the shape. Filled the bracket to get rid of the saw marks and sanded the edge. It took longer to get the pan than to cut and shape. I did make the cardboard pattern first and take it to the store to find a pan large enought.

Here is a picture of what was left of the cooking pan after I cut the bracket out.

border screwed with this post 02-08-2009 at 08:40 AM
border is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,655
Lightbar

That is pure genius. Some manufacturer is going to copy that design for sure. You should start making and selling those things pronto. Get a local shop to start cutting those out for you by the dozen.

Quote:
I removed the beak with the four screws. I used the beak to trace on a piece of cardboard the shape of the bracket. Then I changed the shape to provide arms to mount the lights. I then traced the shape to the cooking pan. Drilled 1/2" holes at all the corners. Used a saber saw with a metal blade to cut the shape. Filled the bracket to get rid of the saw marks and sanded the edge. It took longer to get the pan than to cut and shape. I did make the cardboard pattern first and take it to the store to find a pan large enought.

Here is a picture of what was left of the cooking pan after I cut the bracket out.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #25
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Thumb

Quote:
+1. If you get the itch to make another I'll send some dollars your direction!
Old 02-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #26
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Thumb

Quote:

Seriously, that is brilliant.

Was it non-stick?

Rob in Seattle

PS if you powdercoat it black (for the 800) I'd buy one too.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #27
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:

Rather than go through the hassle of making more of these for the vultures that are circling right now, just scan the pattern, turn it into a PDF and post it.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #28
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger
Rather than go through the hassle of making more of these for the vultures that are circling right now, just scan the pattern, turn it into a PDF and post it.
+1 on the scan

TIA
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #29
Fireman
Shazaam!

Oddometer: 97
Not to rain on the parade... But isn't this the same bracket that Touratech makes? I took a photo of the TT part (found in their installation instructions online) and cut the same pattern out of sheet metal from the hardware store. Works like a charm, but I'm not so sure about selling these things! Wouldn't there be some kind of patent issue?
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #30
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
Not to rain on the parade... But isn't this the same bracket that Touratech makes? I took a photo of the TT part (found in their installation instructions online) and cut the same pattern out of sheet metal from the hardware store. Works like a charm, but I'm not so sure about selling these things! Wouldn't there be some kind of patent issue?
So... uhhhh... not that I'd be interested in doing the same thing, but can you maybe send me a link to the picture you used to make the pattern? Or I can PM you my email address if you have a picture saved and could email it to me. Thanks.