Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #31
Fireman
Shazaam!

Oddometer: 97
Go here:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...735Epml2067B45

and up in the right-hand corner click on "English installation instructions."

This is a big ole PDF you can open, and page down to see how the bracket fits and works. You can zoom way the hell in to get a good look. I did what the other guy did, and just took the front fender off to see the shape. Not that anyone would want to do this, but once the bracket was made, I bought a relay from the auto parts store and threw a wiring harness together, switched it off the Powerlet, and sat back to await my Trail Tech HID's. Should be sweet.
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #32
Fireman
Shazaam!

Pissed OK, not so happy now

Now this is embarrassing. After all that excitement, one of my Trailtech HID's went out. I was loving them for almost a month, and then I took a ride in the rain yesterday and got sprayed pretty mightily by a couple semi's coming the other direction. One light went out, and I could never get it to re-ignite. I could see water inside the bulb, and found quite a bit of water inside the housing. I swapped the bulbs to narrow it down to the bulbs and ruled out the ballasts, and called Trailtech to see what could be done. They told me that they would only look at them if I sent the entire light back, meaning that I'd have to tear out all the wiring I've done. They offered to sell me a new bulb for $75, but even if I sent them the old one they wouldn't cover it by warrenty. I loved the lights while they worked, but I can't do any adventure touring with unreliable lights that can't be fixed without two weeks of downtime and complete dissassembly. I'm seriously considering begging for my money back and getting a set of PIAA 510 driving lights to go on my sweet-ass brackets. I've never had a problem with a halogen that I couldn't fix, and at the VERY worst I can pick up a replacement bulb at ANY store in the world for about ten bucks. No downtime, and no more warrenty headache. I've heard several other horror stories about these lights crapping out in the rain, now that I've done more research. Anyone have any opinions, advice, anything? I'm planning a few long trips this summer and don't want to ever have to deal with this again.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #33
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
Now this is embarrassing. After all that excitement, one of my Trailtech HID's went out. I was loving them for almost a month, and then I took a ride in the rain yesterday and got sprayed pretty mightily by a couple semi's coming the other direction. One light went out, and I could never get it to re-ignite. I could see water inside the bulb, and found quite a bit of water inside the housing. I swapped the bulbs to narrow it down to the bulbs and ruled out the ballasts, and called Trailtech to see what could be done. They told me that they would only look at them if I sent the entire light back, meaning that I'd have to tear out all the wiring I've done. They offered to sell me a new bulb for $75, but even if I sent them the old one they wouldn't cover it by warrenty. I loved the lights while they worked, but I can't do any adventure touring with unreliable lights that can't be fixed...
I have been considering the TrailTech HIDs but am concerned about this rain problem that several riders have reported. Do you have any ideas about how the water gets in? Is the wiring entrance well sealed? Please let us know what the mfg says. I think someone posted that they said they had changed the design to "eliminate" this problem.

Are you running two spots? I was considering one spot and one flood. Plus buying some yellow covers incase I run into fog. Comments?
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #34
Fireman
Shazaam!

Well, here's what I found:

A tiny amount of water seeped in through the wire "inlet" to the light housing. I mounted the lights stem down, but it seems that the wind was able to force a little water all the way up the wire lead (which appeared to be sealed with adhesive-lined shrink tubing.) But the large amount of water that came into the housing must have gone through the silicone seal around the bezel. This seal appears to be well constructed, and seals around the light bulb as well as between the bezel and the housing. It's a mystery to me how this seal failed, but more than that - how did the sealed bulb manage to suck up so much water? Here are some facts to work with:

- the ballast has indeed been improved/upgraded according to the tech guys at the company.
- the ballast is epoxied into the housing, effectively sealing it in.
- The wires coming into the housing could easily be sealed with some silicone caulk.
- The silicone rubber seal at the bezel should be effective, but could be augmented with some dielectric grease or something to help keep moisture out.
- There are flexible clear covers included with the lights which would go a long way toward making them more waterproof. I wish I had known I needed them!
- When water gets into the bulbs, they seem to fail easily and the shiny reflector coating begins to flake off.

I am using two spot beams. They throw enough light forward and are wide enough for me. I would not wish to have the floods, as it would lessen the amount of long-distance lighting. I have played with the aiming of these lights quite a bit, and still get flashed quite often by oncoming traffic so apparently I don't have it right yet, but they are great on the deer-covered backroads. Even though I have a switch mounted on my handguards I'm not fond of flicking the HID's off and on a lot (it takes a minute for them to get bright again) so I avoid doing so unless cars are really flashing a lot, but I don't want to blind people so I'm trying to find a happy-medium between good lighting and safe lighting. I'm not sure about fog lenses. I would say the HID's make poor fog lights, though. Too much glare and the wrong color to help you see through dense fog.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #35
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
I would assume that for the price of these lights the company would stand behind them and replace them. I am sure that they are not "shocked" to find out that they leak. All one needs to do is put them in a bucket of water...attach wiring..and turn them on and leave them for a few days.
A week in a bucket of water should tell them if they leak..or not!
Old 04-11-2009, 04:31 AM   #36
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I just finished installing a set of Touratech halogens. I don't have a picture site, so I cannot show them. I am very pleased with the result and the functionality. Plus that they look great on the bike.
Sent you a PM
761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #37
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
F800GS light bar

I just discovered a F800GS light bar from Best Rest:
http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-21...-lightbar.aspx

Looks similar to the Touratech and the homemade one on this thread. Has anyone tried one of these? I attaches to the plastic so it doesn't seem to have much support strength. I'm concerned about vibrations and plastic damage if you smack the lights.

Disclaimer: I have no association with this company other than possible future customer.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #38
Trailtech
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman
Now this is embarrassing. After all that excitement, one of my Trailtech HID's went out. I was loving them for almost a month, and then I took a ride in the rain yesterday and got sprayed pretty mightily by a couple semi's coming the other direction. One light went out, and I could never get it to re-ignite. I could see water inside the bulb, and found quite a bit of water inside the housing. I swapped the bulbs to narrow it down to the bulbs and ruled out the ballasts, and called Trailtech to see what could be done. They told me that they would only look at them if I sent the entire light back, meaning that I'd have to tear out all the wiring I've done. They offered to sell me a new bulb for $75, but even if I sent them the old one they wouldn't cover it by warrenty. I loved the lights while they worked, but I can't do any adventure touring with unreliable lights that can't be fixed without two weeks of downtime and complete dissassembly. I'm seriously considering begging for my money back and getting a set of PIAA 510 driving lights to go on my sweet-ass brackets. I've never had a problem with a halogen that I couldn't fix, and at the VERY worst I can pick up a replacement bulb at ANY store in the world for about ten bucks. No downtime, and no more warrenty headache. I've heard several other horror stories about these lights crapping out in the rain, now that I've done more research. Anyone have any opinions, advice, anything? I'm planning a few long trips this summer and don't want to ever have to deal with this again.
Fireman: Did you get your product fixed? If not, please call and ask for Jeremiah or Travis.
Trailtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #39
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
TT halogens installed. FInally got a picture site.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #40
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Worth the ginormous price tag?
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 PM   #41
chunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I'm on the edge

I almost bought the TrailTech lights and have been reading this forum. I've seen a ton of people who have had leak issues. Most say that TrailTech customer service is great, so I'm surprised to hear that a set of leaky lights were not going to be replaced or fixed without further cost.

I'm still on the edge on my decision making. I really like the simplicity of these lights, but what does that mean if I have to replace them every time it rains?

Are there any people on ADVrider who have either the TrailTech lights or the PIAA Cross Country lights, who ride them in the rain often without problems? Shouldn't these things be able to be totally submerged without issues? I've got HID lights for scuba diving that I've had to 400feet with absolutely no issues. Why don't they just put an o-ring in these things?

I'd love to hear from people.

Aloha,
Charlie
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #42
Fireman
Shazaam!

Just an update here on my personal Trailtech saga (see above). The company did indeed send me a replacement bulb free of charge, after I told them my whiny tale of woe. I used dielectric silicone grease on all the o-rings and connections, and even on the threads of the light bezel. These bad boys ought to be waterproof now, although I'm sure I've ruined my warranty by opening them up and trying to seal them. I won't know the outcome right away, because while I was waiting on that bulb I installed a set of PIAA 510 spots (110 watts!) for my trip to Daytona. I love them... not quite as bright as the HID's but user friendly and throw a ton of useable light out there. I've wired everything with quick-connect terminals so I plan to switch back and forth between light sets and figure out which one gets to live on the GS. Let me be clear - Trailtech has excellent customer service. I'm just not sure if I want to go the easily fixable/reliable route or the high-tech/special order route with such a rugged bike. Time will tell.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 AM   #43
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Worth the ginormous price tag?
Hard to say Diablo. The install went well, and they have been reliable. I don't have any other point of reference. They are and do exactly what I had in mind when I bought them so I am not dissappointed in the purchase.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #44
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
I'm 5k miles into mine without incident. Dealt with rain in SE US. Obscenely bright. Happy so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter
I almost bought the TrailTech lights and have been reading this forum. I've seen a ton of people who have had leak issues. Most say that TrailTech customer service is great, so I'm surprised to hear that a set of leaky lights were not going to be replaced or fixed without further cost.

I'm still on the edge on my decision making. I really like the simplicity of these lights, but what does that mean if I have to replace them every time it rains?

Are there any people on ADVrider who have either the TrailTech lights or the PIAA Cross Country lights, who ride them in the rain often without problems? Shouldn't these things be able to be totally submerged without issues? I've got HID lights for scuba diving that I've had to 400feet with absolutely no issues. Why don't they just put an o-ring in these things?

I'd love to hear from people.

Aloha,
Charlie
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #45
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Anybody tried these?

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5..._Code=F800GS-E

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote