User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #46
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Whoops

Lost both lights within 6 hours of each other on Sunday ride. Not raining. Shipped them off to TT yesterday afternoon but bummed.

Spoke with Dave Petersen at BestRest and seems like failed ballast. You could see the lights trying to fire up but it was faint flicker then nothing. No rain during my ride - they had been in the rain a few weeks prior but seemingly without issue. Mounting was light up and post down on EZyMount.

I did have 'white oxidation' on the inside of the lens after first installing them (never went away) but it didn't seem to impact performance (which is superlative when they are on.)

Also - had some fading of powder coat turning hem bronze in color. Took a pick before crating will try to post later.

Need to tape / zip up wiring now prior to commute - disappointed to cut them off the bike yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen
I'm 5k miles into mine without incident. Dealt with rain in SE US. Obscenely bright. Happy so far.
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:42 AM   #47
markas
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
is there any practical purpose for having those extra lights other than have something to do and whine about ?
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #48
ULELUZE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas
is there any practical purpose for having those extra lights other than have something to do and whine about ?
Lights help you see at night.
ULELUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #49
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULELUZE
Lights help you see at night.
And, make you more visible to other traffic during the day.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #50
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
plus, the brain instinctively pays attention to things that are different. We are used to seeing a car headlight pattern and a single light for a bike. With aux lights on, drivers will, by reflex, notice you more because of the different light pattern.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #51
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

It freezes deer in their tracks simplyfing the journey to the grill.

Quote:

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 08-11-2009 at 09:51 AM
Old 08-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #52
TexasMule
Float away ya fairy...

Oddometer: 3,848
Trail Tech Lights....

Quote:
Lost both lights within 6 hours of each other on Sunday ride. Not raining. Shipped them off to TT yesterday afternoon but bummed.

Spoke with Dave Petersen at BestRest and seems like failed ballast. You could see the lights trying to fire up but it was faint flicker then nothing. No rain during my ride - they had been in the rain a few weeks prior but seemingly without issue. Mounting was light up and post down on EZyMount.

I did have 'white oxidation' on the inside of the lens after first installing them (never went away) but it didn't seem to impact performance (which is superlative when they are on.)

Also - had some fading of powder coat turning hem bronze in color. Took a pick before crating will try to post later.

Need to tape / zip up wiring now prior to commute - disappointed to cut them off the bike yesterday.
Family just came back from a 4K trip across the US and one of Mulewife's TrailTech lights crapped out. (with no more than 10 hours of use) As stated above, both started to turn "bronzish". Spoke with TT and they said the anodizing on the first lights were defective. She sent both back for replacement. I was assured by TT that the anodzing will not turn on the new lights. We'll see.

So far, not terribly impressed by the TT lights.
-to my mind alloy triumph tanks rank near titties in their inherent attractiveness -Mutt
TexasMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #53
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Pic of issue

You can see the white oxidation on the lamp lens and the 'bronzing' two tone - hmmm.

Shipped ground - should get to TT next Monday - will update.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #54
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,404
I've had the Trail Tech SCMR16 HID on my 1200 for a few months now. I'm happy with the light output but I noticed that both lights have some smoke residue behind the lens. They look foggy but its definitely smoke residue. I'm thinking of cleaning the inside of the lenses. My question is does the bezel simply unscrew off? I tried to unscrew them but they didn't budge and I didn't want to break them. Thanks

Mine are mounted sideways, no problems with heavy rain so far just this smoke residue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #55
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

I had the same situation with the white haze. You should be able to see in pic above your post. When talking with Dave Petersen at BestRest he described it as oxidation and indicated it may be a symptom of a bad bulb. I would contact TrailTech for their opinion and 'how to' clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
I've had the Trail Tech SCMR16 HID on my 1200 for a few months now. I'm happy with the light output but I noticed that both lights have some smoke residue behind the lens. They look foggy but its definitely smoke residue. I'm thinking of cleaning the inside of the lenses. My question is does the bezel simply unscrew off? I tried to unscrew them but they didn't budge and I didn't want to break them. Thanks

Mine are mounted sideways, no problems with heavy rain so far just this smoke residue.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #56
NJ Moto
Running Free

Quote:
I had the same situation with the white haze. You should be able to see in pic above your post. When talking with Dave Petersen at BestRest he described it as oxidation and indicated it may be a symptom of a bad bulb. I would contact TrailTech for their opinion and 'how to' clean.
Thanks

For some reason I can't see your photo but it sounds exactly like mine.

I just came in from the garage an in fact the bezels do simply unscrew off, they were on pretty tight. Unfortunately there is no way to simply clean the haze on the lens. The front lens is part of the bulb and they are sealed. Looks like I'll have to contact TT for replacements.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #57
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,571
Quote:
It also seems to give YOU something to whine about.

See?
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #58
NJ Moto
Running Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015
It also seems to give YOU something to whine about.

See?

I have the Trail Techs on my 1200 but the setup looks identical to the F8GS pics on Dave Petersons site.

Bought the lights/ lightbar from him. No affiliation just a great system that looks very stock. I must take some pictures...

Old 08-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #59
NJ Moto
Running Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
I would say to stay away from these. They sell a very similar setup for the 1200GS which I made the mistake of buying. The lights are cheap, cheap, cheap. I saw the same identical lights without the brackets of course at Walmart for $15 a pair!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #60
Grizzlybear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I run the VisonX set up on the Scrambler and could not be happier. These are LED so draw only 10w and .75amp so no relay needed. They really light up the roadside, the trees and the road for great distance as well. Only downside is that they are way too bright for use as day-time running lights so they are hard wired to the high beam wire coming off the main headlight globe.

Grizzlybear is offline   Reply With Quote