Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #106
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
Have any of you hooked up lights via the CANbus GPS connector?

I have installed the LED lights like in one of the previous posts and hooked them up to the GPS connector via the BMW repair connector (used for hooking your GPS into the available accessory CANbus outlet) and now although they work marvelously, the darn things don't want to turn off.

So, could it be that the LED lights (which draw 66mA per side, 132mA total being 1.6w at 12v) are simply not pulling enough juice for the CANbus to notice?

Is there something I'm missing? I'd rather not have to put a switch on them. The whole idea was for this to be brainless. Can I wire them somehow into the low beam headlight with CANbus not freaking out?

Thanks in advance.
That connection stays powered for a minute or two after you shut off the ignition.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #107
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon
That connection stays powered for a minute or two after you shut off the ignition.
That's what I was hoping would happen - and what should happen but the power is not cut predictably for a long time and seemingly when th battery starts to run low.

I would love if it was a consistent couple of minutes but that's not the case - hence my quandry.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #108
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
That's what I was hoping would happen - and what should happen but the power is not cut predictably for a long time and seemingly when th battery starts to run low.

I would love if it was a consistent couple of minutes but that's not the case - hence my quandry.
Odd. I actually use it for a GPS, and I also use the power outlet wire, which is part of the same circuit, for a relay trigger for aux lights. Both the GPS and the aux lights reliably power themselves down after a short period. Never measured it but it seems like no more than a couple of minutes. Having said that, the lights have a separate switch and I use that to turn them off; my power-off delay experience for the lights was just a couple of tests. The GPS however always begins its own power-off countdown in less time than it takes me to fill the gas tank, indicating that power to the connector has been lost.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #109
Kaw4Life
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
I would say to stay away from these. They sell a very similar setup for the 1200GS which I made the mistake of buying. The lights are cheap, cheap, cheap. I saw the same identical lights without the brackets of course at Walmart for $15 a pair!

100% Correct - Poor fit - Horrible instructions - Mine are going back. Biggest problem is the 3 point bracket does not line up and when you tighten the mounting screws you could very easily crack the fender. The bulbs are not sealed worth a bean either. The wiring harness is kind'a good.
Kaw4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #110
solohvs
somewhere around the bend

Oddometer: 168
PIAA Cross Country / Givi Crash Bar Mount

OK Guys - before I cable tie everything down and start aiming these new lights I thought I'd post the photos to see if there is anything I'm missing.

PIAA Cross Country Driving Lights mounted on my GIVI Crash Bars. The bars stick out a long way, but I have had very good luck with GIVI and the install went great. I'm mounting the lights inside the cage if all goes well.

Are the lights too close to the bars? I don't know how much vibration to expect and I don't want them to RUB. I didn't aim them or fine tune the location, but I like some advice here. When the snow stops falling I'd hate to do this all over again!

ALSO - I need a trigger wire for the relay / key ON. The wiring harness is quite straight forward... just need to make the relay work. I have a Zumo 550 wired with the BMW accessory connector. Can I connect to the wire going to the GPS for the wire that goes to the relay for key ON?

Looks kinda simple since it's right there in front of me. But I don't want any Can Bus issues. The relay draws such a small amount of power I'm hoping the Can Bus will never know it's there!

Black is ground? Red is Hot? So I go in to the red wire on the left of the connector?

Thanks people !
Brian

solohvs screwed with this post 12-20-2009 at 05:47 AM
solohvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #111
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon
Odd. I actually use it for a GPS, and I also use the power outlet wire, which is part of the same circuit, for a relay trigger for aux lights. Both the GPS and the aux lights reliably power themselves down after a short period. Never measured it but it seems like no more than a couple of minutes. Having said that, the lights have a separate switch and I use that to turn them off; my power-off delay experience for the lights was just a couple of tests. The GPS however always begins its own power-off countdown in less time than it takes me to fill the gas tank, indicating that power to the connector has been lost.
my aux canbus stays on sometimes also. very inconsistant. once it killed my battery. i have 2 leds, my zumo and autocom connected to the aux canbus with the repair connector.. i have to keep checking if it is off after a few minutes. pain in the ass. anyone else have this problem. may have to add a switch
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #112
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
CanBus Hanging on

I had the same problem with the CanBus sometimes staying on with both my Zumo and J&M 2003CB powered by that connection. I experimented and found the J&M was probably back feeding the system causing this wonky behavior. When I used the CanBus connection to power the Zumo and the relay trigger coil it became very stable in shutting down every time. I used the relay switched battery power for the J&M and all is well (isolated any electrical issues affecting the CanBus). I suggest you try this method with your LED lights and Autocom. It should clear up the issue and you will still retain the power down of your devices shortly after turning the key off.

As for the other issue, yes the CanBus worked properly with the GPS and relay trigger wired to the GPS connector.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #113
solohvs
somewhere around the bend

Oddometer: 168
Thank YOU

GR8 information. Thanks.

Brian
solohvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM   #114
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Switch Question

Ok I give up... I saw a picture and links to sourcing a switch I would like to use for aux lights. It bolts right up to the back of the stock BMW GS left handlebar controls. I have searched all over ADV and the internet and can not find it any more.... It was about $125 so not cheap, but looks clean and stock...

Can somebody please help me?
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #115
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Here you go. F800 Depot is awesome. I plan on doing this as soon as I get some extra money. Post up pics and let us know how it is!

http://f800depot.com/bmw-aux-lighting-switch-p-276.html

Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #116
cula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
help with HID installment "problems"

Hi guys, I need some help. Recently a bought a set of micro de from hella and 55W HID kit from ddm. I am planning to put the hid into the stock housing of my 800GS and also I retrofitted the micro de’s to HID (also 55W DDM). And now the questions.
1) Do you think I will have a problem with melting my housing if I put the 55W into the stock light?
2) I cannot find a place of where to put my fuseblock (http://www.cyclenutz.com/products/electrical_accessories/fuse_panel_relays/fuzeblock_fuse_block.htmlhttp://www.cyclenutz.com/documents/reviews/fuzeblock_MOA_article.pdf ). Any ideas?
3) Where did you guys got switched power?
4) I ordered the BMW switched power cable (http://f800depot.com/bmw-switched-power-cable-p-278.html ) to get from the GPS port, but I don’t want to create any problems on the canbus when I start up the Hella lights. Any ideas?
5) Do I need warning cancellers on ballasts for my micro de’s?
I really appreciate all your help.

cula screwed with this post 02-08-2010 at 08:34 AM
cula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #117
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by cula
Hi guys, I need some help.
3) Where did you guys got switched power?
You might try here: http://www.touratech-usa.com/docs/09...2138sQWyY81507

Please do share the how to once you have them all dialed in.

TreeFarmer
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #118
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
Results???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by solohvs
.....PIAA Cross Country Driving Lights mounted on my GIVI Crash Bars. The bars stick out a long way, but I have had very good luck with GIVI and the install went great. I'm mounting the lights inside the cage if all goes well.

So SoloHVS ~ How did this work out for you? I'm curious because I've been contemplating the same mod in the same place..........Sean
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #119
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
Denali twisted throttle kit

Does anyone have or can point me in the direction of pictures that show how the Denali/Vision X lights attach to this mount:
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #120
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
Does anyone have or can point me in the direction of pictures that show how the Denali/Vision X lights attach to this mount
Not that mount, but the same position:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=51

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote