Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Firedawg450 OP
Why did I wait??

Oddometer: 119
Modulators From Kriss Industries - They finally called back!!!

Just a word of warning to anyone who thinks adding a modulator to their headlight, brake light or signal/running light. A malfunction, as happened to me, will place you in a very hazardous situation. Communicating your intentions to cage drivers is paramount to your safety. When you find yourself is low-visibility, on a highway and your signal and brakes suddenly start sending out confusing signals to everyone behind you, you are in more DANGER than you would have been had you been driving with unmodified electrics.
KRISS WILL NOT RETURN E-MAIL OR ANSWER PHONE CALLS!!! (CORRECTION: it took two months, but they called me back about an hour after I posted) Returns without an authorization number will be discarded, but there is no way to request an authorization without being actually speaking to them. The phone number listed is a cell that is never on - or at least not when I have called. Their answering service has been shut down - they explained that they felt it was a waste of money.

Firedawg450 screwed with this post 01-20-2009 at 04:51 PM Reason: Giving them some credit for finally calling back - but it took way too long
Firedawg450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
You mean these people?

Kriss Industries

Address:
2030 N Forbes Blvd
Tucson AZ 85745
US
Phone: +1 520 629 8800
Email: krissindustries@earthlink.net
Tags:
vehicles parts accessories lights electrics

They answered "Kriss Industries" on the third ring.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Bike-N-Hike
'03 F650GSD, '06 AN650AK6

Oddometer: 88
Kriss products

Hi...I purchased a headlight modulator from Kriss and have had no problems since installing them a couple of seasons ago. With that said, I too recognized that customer service was lacking, enough so that I started a thread about it. I noticed you added a reply to it.

What bike did you install the modulator on? Another modulator company had a disclaimer on using their product on some BMW's models when I was looking into buying one 3 years ago. I think the wig-wag tail light at the time was also a problem.

I have an 03 F650GSD and I haven't noticed any lighting signalling problems although I do get those who have to tell me my headlight is broken or loose.
"Touratech Tank Bag"with Garmin Oregon 450T
'06, Suzuki, Burgman 650 Exec, ABS, 34K Miles
Bike-N-Hike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike-N-Hike
although I do get those who have to tell me my headlight is broken or loose.
And can't seem to understand that it's supposed to do that.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,382
Stick to Kisan's, it's virtually plug 'n' play. Plus, Kisan has excellent customer service.

In keeping with ADV tradition, vendor rants are posted in Vendors, so off it goes.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
ciao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I like the Kisan headlight modulator, but the Kisan tailblazer left me without any tail lights twice in one year.
ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
CarSalesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Stick to Kisan's, it's virtually plug 'n' play. Plus, Kisan has excellent customer service.

In keeping with ADV tradition, vendor rants are posted in Vendors, so off it goes.
Kisan has good customer service? That's the first I've heard that. Certainly the year long project I've gone through with them, trying to get a modulator to work properly on a 2007 R12GS, hasn't shown that to be true. Don't bother leaving a message, because they don't call back (I've left at least 6). The people are nice enough once you get a hold of somebody, but when it comes to the combination of BMW + Kisan, the answer is DON'T! There are several threads here on this issue.
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,382
They've struggled with the modulator working on the 12GS without triggering a canbus fault on the LCD display.

I've had several dealings with them regarding failed parts and they've cheerfully replaced them without asking proof of purchase.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
induna
Tryin' to get Dirty

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
but when it comes to the combination of BMW + Kisan, the answer is DON'T! There are several threads here on this issue.
CANBUS BMWs maybe, but for other Beemers, I don't think it's a problem. I have no issue with pathblazer or tailblazer on my '03 Dakar.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,530
Been using the "Double Eagle" headlight modulator for approximately 50,000 trouble free miles!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
Firedawg450 OP
Why did I wait??

Ironically, they finally called me back after two months not an hour after I posted..

Murphy's law... I decide to vent and they call me after my trying to reach them for two months. But I'm still pissed that I have to supply them with a credit card before they'll check their unit. If they decide to tell me the unit was not at fault then I'm nailed for a service fee without any kind of verification of their findings. The gent that called me was very nice and explained he cut off the answering service because he felt it was a waste of money????? I just shake my head and wonder how some people think. Don't you want customers to feel confident that they can reach you??? They obviously could have called me or e-mailed me back anytime in the last two months - why did it take so long?
Anyway, when (if) I get a functioning unit back it is going on e-bay. I discussed the workings of the unit with them and the idea of using their unit to modulate the turn signals is a bad idea. They've based it on the same unit as the headlight modulator, which will fail to the on position. In the turn signals, that's just plain dangerous.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #12
Firedawg450 OP
Why did I wait??

Good for you. This was a very different experience than I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee
You mean these people?

Kriss Industries

Address:
2030 N Forbes Blvd
Tucson AZ 85745
US
Phone: +1 520 629 8800
Email: krissindustries@earthlink.net
Tags:
vehicles parts accessories lights electrics

They answered "Kriss Industries" on the third ring.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
BountifulBees
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Kriss H4 modulator- Dud so far! Smoked Even!

I got one of these from Kriss for my R65. there are several warnings about polarity, so I used a multimeter to test my headlamp leads as it's got a Hannigan fairing on it and the fairing wiring (done by whomever put the fairing on) looks amateurish. Polarity was OK. Modulator did NOT modulate the high beam. I emailed on a Saturday, was told that I connected it improperly.
Their bench testing instructions did not match the colors on the harness of the unit they sent me, to which they did not respond, however they did say it would ONLY modulate the low beam.
I went back to test again, this time putting a test lamp across the low beam circuit. POOF- a wisp of white smoke came out of the box.
I emailed back. We'll see what happens next. Kind of pissed that for $100 and more it should be this much of a pain in the ass.
BountifulBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #14
Connors Dilemma
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Kriss headlight modulators, my 2 cents

I installed a Kriss modulator in 2003, it's performed flawlessly for 9 years, yes 9 years. One thing that will cause the unit to fail is improper installation, use a meter to identify the wires and their function and read the installation instructions before you start the install. As far as the requirement for a return authorization (RMA) that is a standard operating procedure for every electronics company that I have ever dealt with and I worked on aircraft avionics systems for 36 years. I have not had any experience with the other modulators in the marketplace, but what I've found is that "excellent customer service" is usually a result of poor engineering and results in throwing parts at the problem until you find one that works. I called Kriss recently and talked with the owner for a considerable length of time, I found him very helpful and willing to work with me to answer my questions. If I decide to upgrade my system I will not hesitate to buy a Kriss system for my new ride, you get what you pay for. That's my 2 cents you can agree or not it's your privilege.
Connors Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
I have 2 kisan modulators. I ride to work so at least one is used daily. zero problems after 2 years.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote