User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Trophy1298 OP
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Great place to ride in MS

Ok, so I've seen some great places to ride from people here on ADV and have benefited from many posts. I figure it's time I repay the favor.

If you are anywhere near Vicksburg, MS and like old twisty narrow dirt roads with blind curves, bluffs, a water crossing, and even a nice ridge line road or two, you need to explore this area.

More to come.

Maybe this will help. http://maps.google.com/maps?source=i...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Trophy1298 screwed with this post 01-14-2009 at 08:44 AM
Trophy1298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
The Batman
Caped Crusader

Oddometer: 102
Sweet. Got my first bike recently and waiting for some warmer weather to start getting some decent riding in! I'm in Madison and have already decided that I'll be heading towards Vicksburg to ride some when the time comes!
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
ninjammin
T-Rexin'

Oddometer: 182
I'm from Vicksburg, where exactly did you ride?
ninjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Trophy1298 OP
Vicarious Cowboy

Quote:
I'm from Vicksburg, where exactly did you ride?
I have been tryin to figure out how to post the route, but no luck so far. I can email the GPS route. I am going to do a Google map and plot it out as soon as I can.

But for now..

The area is between I-20 and Hwy 49 just north of the Big Black river. I often make big loops in the area or ride from Bentonia to the MS river. Also, you can take the Flowers exit from I-20 and ride a nice dirt frontage North of the interstate and loop back around to Henry Lake rd. This is where that little water crossing is. Fron Henry Lake rd you can link up with all the other roads listed. Most of the roads in the area are dirt, so just explore around. The paved roads are nice and twisty as well. Here are a few road names from a 100 mile route (90 of which is dirt) that I was trying to post. Russellville rd, Oak Ridge rd (northeast end), Cox Ferry rd, Flowers Hill rd, Freetown rd, Youngstown rd, Fox rd, Ballground rd, Pheonix rd, Raw Hide rd, and don't miss Possum Hollow rd.

Some of the small townships listed on Mapsource are Russellville, OakRidge, and Youngstown.

A friend and I ride these and cross Hwy 3 to link up with levee roads from 61 north of the Yazoo river and ride to Delta National forest or head west on the levees and ride the MS river levee system. Can make for a great afternoon or a couple days exploring. Camping in Delta National Forest is $7 (must get the camping permit in advance or 20 miles away in Rolling Fork). Now Delta Natl forest is flat and straight, but an interesting place for what it is.

Hope this helps. If anyone can tell me how to post a route or map, or is planning to ride the area, PM me. If I'm available I'll go. It's the best area in a 100(+) mile radius I've found to ride. Some of the roads are loose dirt and the curves can sneak up on you.

Thanks,
B

Trophy1298 screwed with this post 01-14-2009 at 07:13 AM
Trophy1298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Trophy1298 OP
Vicarious Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmdvm
Sweet. Got my first bike recently and waiting for some warmer weather to start getting some decent riding in! I'm in Madison and have already decided that I'll be heading towards Vicksburg to ride some when the time comes!
Not sure what kind of bike it is or what you want to ride, but these are mostly dirt. There are some good paved roads in the area as well. If you're new to riding, take it easy as some of these curves are off camber and the dirt curves are often loose. It's more fun to ride the area in the winter when the foilage is gone. You get a better view of the topography.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #6
ThePope
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Hey, this is my neck of the woods!
I've ridden a lot of this area, basically from Hwy 22 to Hwy 3, Bentonia to Vicksburg, if that makes sense. There are lots of great little roads in there, from narrow, paved country lanes, to dirt roads. Your photos have inspired me to look a little further. Whenever I need to get away from work and get a little riding in, this is usually the area I head to. I live in Clinton, so it's right in my back yard!
ThePope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
ninjammin
T-Rexin'

Let me know the next time you guys are in the area. I'll try to make it up for a ride. I'm down in Picayune.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Trophy1298 OP
Vicarious Cowboy

Pope,
Definitely worth exploring further.

Ninjammin,
PM me next time your going to be in V-Burg with some time to ride.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
ninjammin
T-Rexin'

Trophy, out of curiosity, where is home for you? Just wondering if you went out of your way to ride the burg area.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
ThePope
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298
A friend and I ride these and cross Hwy 3 to link up with levee roads from 61 north of the Yazoo river and ride to Delta National forest or head west on the levees and ride the MS river levee system. Can make for a great afternoon or a couple days exploring. Camping in Delta National Forest is $7 (must get the camping permit in advance or 20 miles away in Rolling Fork). Now Delta Natl forest is flat and straight, but an interesting place for what it is.
What's the camping like there. I thought I read somewhere that you have to reserve a campsite in advance. Is that right? Or did they just mean that you have to get a permit in advance and then select any site you want. Do you know of some place online to see a map of the campsites? Thanks for your help. I'm gonna be exploring this area again real soon!!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #11
Trophy1298 OP
Vicarious Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjammin
Trophy, out of curiosity, where is home for you? Just wondering if you went out of your way to ride the burg area.
I live in Brandon, MS. I grew up down where you are now. If you've been there long I'm sure you know some of my family members.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
Trophy1298 OP
Vicarious Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePope
What's the camping like there. I thought I read somewhere that you have to reserve a campsite in advance. Is that right? Or did they just mean that you have to get a permit in advance and then select any site you want. Do you know of some place online to see a map of the campsites? Thanks for your help. I'm gonna be exploring this area again real soon!!
Just have to get the permit b4 you set up camp. They say you need to call in advance, but will give permits if you show up at the office requesting one. They assign a camp site, but you can request one if you know which one you want.

The number on their website is wrong. If you call (662)873-6256 they will send you all their information (including a map of the camping areas) for free (well, your tax $$ pay for it).

Ther is not much to Delta NF other than water, trees, and flat land. But it's in the middle of nowhere if you want to away from it all.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #13
ThePope
Adventurer

Good info. Thanks, Trophy!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
ninjammin
T-Rexin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1298
I live in Brandon, MS. I grew up down where you are now. If you've been there long I'm sure you know some of my family members.
I've only been down here about 8 months. Just graduated from Southern and working at Stennis. I don't know ANYBODY that I don't work with.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
Trophy1298 OP
Vicarious Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjammin
I've only been down here about 8 months. Just graduated from Southern and working at Stennis. I don't know ANYBODY that I don't work with.
I have at least 3 (maybe 4) family members who work there. It's a pretty big family. They're everywhere.