ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #256
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,668
[QUOTE=Cannonshot;19378871

And for those who are interested horses are allowed. They came in with the DS MC designation.[/QUOTE]

Nice!
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #257
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,238
I'll follow up with Forest County to make sure the deputies get the word.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #258
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I looked at their county ordinances yesterday and did not see that bikes are allowed. Put it on my list to follow up with Lincoln County personally. Don't ride it based on a third party website.

I'll ask around the tavern tonight for confirmation

It's pretty far away for a day ride, but if a fella was going to be in the area anyway it would be a nice side track
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #259
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Thumb

Quote:
. .

Have a little faith in ole Cannon.

I've got plenty of faith in you bud. But just remember I used to live in Forest County I know how things run up there. My somewhat lack of confidence lies somewhere else.

And now something completely different....

Old 08-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #260
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 317
Laugh lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Yeti View Post

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #261
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Yeti View Post
I've got plenty of faith in you bud. But just remember I used to live in Forest County I know how things run up there. My somewhat lack of confidence lies somewhere else.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x63...it-faith_music
fixt
Old 08-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #262
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Did some follow up on Harrison Hills ATV Trail in Lincoln County.

"Street-legal and licensed motorcycles, driven by licensed operators, are allowed on the all-terrain vehicle trails."

"No person shall drive in excess of 10 miles per hour on any portion of an approved snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle trail that is posted with a yellow sign indicating "slow", "steep hill", "dip", "turn" or other caution."

"No person shall operate an all-terrain vehicle or snowmobile which has been mechanically or otherwise altered from the manufacturer's specifications so as to generate additional speed, traction, or noise."

Talked to someone about that last point. For an ATV, this means you can be cited to putting more aggresive tires on your machine than the tires that it came stock with. I guess the intent was to be able to nail people tearing things up off trail with mudder tires, etc. This also covers after market exhaust. The language says it applies to ATVs and does not address dual sport motorcycles.

When I was mapping at Harrison Hills some time ago there were "No Motorcycle" signs posted on the trail. I guess a more proper sign would be "no unlicensed motorcycles".

I also visited Forestry and Parks in Langlade County and talked to them about dual sports on the ATV trails there. Some of you may recall some issues with a motorcycle event that was historically run there being shut down.

ATV trails in Langlade County are open to street licensed dual sport motorcycles. This includes Parrish Highlands, Augustyn Springs, and some White Lake Trails. When I was mapping there a while back I noticed that some short segments were posted ATVs only. I'll have to check that out again when I next visit the trails. I have an idea about why that might be but I don't want to speculate here.

This is also good news because I have some nice tracks that use some of these trails that make for a great dual sport ride in the area. The Big Woods folks used to use some of Augustyn Springs ATV stuff in their event as well. A couple of the trails are close enough to the Central Rally site that I can work up a track using the trails based out of Eagle River as well.

On another front, we are starting to crack open the door about getting more access for motorcycles on the Nicolet State Trail in Florence and Oconto Counties. This won't be a biggie by itself, although it will make a nice travel corridor to connect to the UP, but the fact that we are chipping away and making progress will compound into more and more access in the future. Slow but sure . . .

Also, I met with some folks from Vilas County about things being worked on there. Vilas County sees themselves as a silent sports mecca and voted down motorized recreation in an advisory referendum some years ago. Some people see opportunities there that could work for everyone. Keep in mind that our Central ADV Rally is held in Vilas County. We manage to do pretty well with dual sport motorcycle riding in the county by using paths open to street licensed vehicles.

I also touched base with the State Representative that is sponsoring our off-highway motorcycle legislation about some upcoming steps. He sat in on a session led by the Executive Director of the Blue Ribbon Coaltion where we were able to contribute our ideas and concerns to the BRC.

One suggestion I made to the ED of the BRC is that we organize some better tools for overcoming objections from local elements that resist access. The BRC does an outstanding job providing a protective watchdog umbrella at the macro level. Most new trail projects are initiated at the local (micro) level. Whenever we start a discussion to get access locally we often face the same tired stereotypical arguments from antis that are usually not well supported by facts. The tools I said we needed are a collection of scientific studies that eliminate some of the bullshit. Not everyone is equally articulate or adept at mining information from the web. We need a readily available tool kit that covers the most common arguments. This could be things that cover facts about noise, erosion, dust, etc. I used one study from Canada to overcome an anti's argument about the exercise value of trail riding versus hiking. If there is a topic that we don't have good facts on, then we need to commission a study. Easy enough to do something scientifically by coordinating with universities. Doesn't have to be a major endeavor, just a clear statement of the facts supported by science. Once this stuff is in a neat kit on the web, anyone working an access issue would have a collection of papers to answer the usual objections.

More things cooking. We just need to keep chipping away.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #263
ribmtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Lincoln/langlade county have always been open to plated bikes. The last few years the harrison atv clubs have been posting "no motorcycle" signs. Previously the signs said "no motorcross". The new lincoln county atv maps aren't printed by the county, but by the atv club and convienently don't mention who else has legal access to the trails like the old maps did. I verified with the counties this spring due to the confusion. They aren't the greatest trails but it's close for us to do a midweek ride from home. We've been riding once a week or so this summer, and I don't think wev'e encountered an atv the entire time. Fridays and weekends are very busy. The people working at the restaurants/gas stations all seem to be aware that plated m/c's are allowed. Even though not needed, we bought harrison atv memberships, since they do all the work on the trails, they need to be supported and it makes the dual sporters look a little better in their eyes!
Tim
ribmtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #264
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribmtrider View Post
Lincoln/langlade county have always been open to plated bikes. The last few years the harrison atv clubs have been posting "no motorcycle" signs. Previously the signs said "no motorcross". The new lincoln county atv maps aren't printed by the county, but by the atv club and convienently don't mention who else has legal access to the trails like the old maps did. I verified with the counties this spring due to the confusion. They aren't the greatest trails but it's close for us to do a midweek ride from home. We've been riding once a week or so this summer, and I don't think wev'e encountered an atv the entire time. Fridays and weekends are very busy. The people working at the restaurants/gas stations all seem to be aware that plated m/c's are allowed. Even though not needed, we bought harrison atv memberships, since they do all the work on the trails, they need to be supported and it makes the dual sporters look a little better in their eyes!
Tim
Similar issues on some of the other trails with some of the other clubs. That is why it best to be able to cite an ordinance - especially when being hassled by someone on the trail. Some people had that problem elsewhere. There is also the issue of crossing into Oneida County which does not allow MCs on their actual trail (not road) segments. I can't pull up the Oneida County ordinances on-line. I'll have to verify that licensed dual sports are truly excluded.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 08:22 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #265
ribmtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Similar issues on some of the other trails with some of the other clubs. That is why it best to be able to cite an ordinance - especially when being hassled by someone on the trail. Some people had that problem elsewhere. There is also the issue of crossing into Oneida County which does not allow MCs on their actual trail (not road) segments. I can't pull up the Oneida County ordinances on-line. I'll have to verify that licensed dual sports are truly excluded.
As far as I know any type of m/c is not allowed on Onieda County trails.

Since we ride lincoln/langlade counties pretty often I keep a printout from their website in my pack that shows what is allowed. Nobody has hassled us, but they have asked questions since the new "no motorcycle" signs have gone up.

Tim
ribmtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #266
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,762
I gotta move to Wisconsin!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #267
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I contacted Forestry and Parks in Forest County and asked that they send a note over to the Sheriff's Department reminding them that the two State trails in Forest County are open to motorcycles.

At the same time they were opened to motorcycles, they were opened to horses as well.

The enabling document is the master plan for both trails. The master plan is the document the county uses to manage the State trails in their county.

Although there was public notice and input on these proposed changes, it turned out that the action allowing motorcycles and horses did not require a vote from the full county board.

The county plans to put up additional signs that show that dual sports and horses are allowed on the trails, but they don't have them up yet. This will be the most visible notice of what access is allowed.

I have personally ridden the trails and spoken with a county board member while on the trails. I have also send a letter to Forestry/Parks/Cmte letting them know what a nice ride I had and thanking them for access. I have been encouraging others to do the same.

Not everyone on Forest County knows that the trails are open to us. Some will tell you they are not. If there is some angst about riding the trails without the signs being up, I suggest that you carry the Forestry and Parks Administrator's name and phone number with you while on the trail so you can refer someone to that office if they have questions about you being there. (Dave Ziolkowski 715-478-3475)

Yes the county is slow in updating their web site and putting up signs.

I tried to download some documents via their web site that might serve as proper documentation but found that the links didn't function.

In the event that someone calls Forestry and Parks I would appreciate it if we show a lot of patience and politeness because we are posturing toward trying to get some single track in Forest County on county land. Things like getting the State trails open to us in the county are a first step.

We are also working toward getting Oconto and Florence Counties to open their segments of the Nicolet State Trail so we really don't want to stir up anything with Forest County right now. We really want Forest County to give us a good reference to the other two counties.

Thanks for your patience in these matters and for understanding that there is more going on than what is apparent to the casual observer.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #268
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Well, looks like things are resolved in Forest County. I just got a nice e-mail from the Forester who:

-apologized for the actions of the ill-informed deputy and thanked me for letting him know so he could straighten things out.

-told me he would personally inform the Sheriff, Rec Officer, and Conservation Warden and ask that they inform all their subordinates that DS is allowed.

-told me he just received the new signs for the trails and that they should be completely signed by this weekend.

-told me that he anticipates even more use by DS bikes after the signs are up so he plans to follow up with some news releases.

-told me he was glad to hear we were enjoying the trails.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #269
Doppelganger
Alive & Living

Oddometer: 125
Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #270
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Thumb

Cannon out of the Phone booth once again

That's some good timing