ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #316
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Welcome to Madison.
Yeah, I figured. I'm from an hour south just over the border. Grew up in and around all of it. Lived most of my adult life recreating there. Know the area geographically. Madison was our media presence, too so I thought I'd seen all of 'it'.

Boy, was I wrong.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #317
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasdoctor View Post
Work dates are scheduled for the week of October 13-14. I would like to see how many folks we could get up to Knobby Ridge for a work day(s). [/URL]
Figures. We have our last camping trip of the year scheduled that weekend with Doc Matts family in Wyalusing.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #318
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,520
Anyone that wants to look over the Sauk Prairie property (where we would like to get some single track) can do a self guided auto tour on Saturday, 20 Oct 12.

Auto Tour of the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area

People are invited to take a free self-guided automobile tour of the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area located 7 miles north of Sauk City on State Highway 12. The opportunity to tour the former Badger Army Ammunition Plant will be offered on Saturday, Oct. 20, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Tour route maps will be available at the entrance off Highway 12 directing people through the property. We will post a link to the tour route map on this web page on October 19th for those who would like to print a map. Stops along the way will explain the purpose and history of facilities, structures and operations on the site.

Two tour routes are planned: a short tour route is estimated to take 1 hours to complete; a long tour route will take about 3 hours. All visitors must exit the property by 4 p.m.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #319
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasdoctor View Post
As usual, you hit the nail on the head Bryan! Inital focus will be on the show stoppers to get the trail back open. The major focus will be rehabing a hillside trail. the ruts have been leveled and now block needs to be transported to the site and placed in the trail and backfilled. Dependent on group size other tasks will be completed such as brushing, filling in other trail ruts, etc.

Work dates are scheduled for the week of October 13-14. I would like to see how many folks we could get up to Knobby Ridge for a work day(s).

For those of you who do Facebook, we have created a page to help organize things a bit.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/TeamNunbusTrailCrew
Not on facebook, but hoping to be there this weekend. Anyone else? I'm going to email MOTR to let them know I should be there, probably tomorrow.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #320
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Uh, looks like thunderstorms???

Think I'll still go. I emailed Cory and Larry and they said they'll put me to work.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #321
Gasdoctor

Oddometer: 1,445
Looks Like Cannon, Boomer, C squared, and Ratski are up there. I had to bail out with some work issues. I believe they are camping at the trail head.

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Uh, looks like thunderstorms???

Think I'll still go. I emailed Cory and Larry and they said they'll put me to work.
Gasdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #322
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

A little after action (so far).

A couple of us went up early Friday AM to stage materials at the work sites to make sure that people could get right to work Saturday morning. Even though it was 22 degrees on the way up, it turned into a perfect work day - sunny and cool.

Boomer and I hauled a little over 100 of these posts to a drop site along an ATV trail using a truck and a trailer. Once we moved them the first time, we had to move them back to the work site via ATV twelve at a time. Hefting that stuff around once was ok, but by the time we installed them we had lifted and wrestled with them three times.

A soft, wet spot that needed a corduroy.

We made several piles of posts along the length of the job site.

Larry came in with his Cat to get the site prepped for us.

Saturday, getting close to being done. We surveyed the job ahead of time, made some measurements, and finished it as planned with the exact number of posts we estimated we needed.

Corduroy installed, drainage managed, logs set.

On Friday afternoon we grabbed Alex and his son, and hauled about 200 blocks close to another job site. Again, this stuff gets handled multiple times as it is loaded and unloaded on multiple conveyances until it gets to the job site. The idea here is to harden steep hillsides to prevent them from washing out. A block path is set, runoff is controlled, and the blocks are filled with sand. Once they are in they are damn solid. Some of the guys that came in Saturday knocked this out with time to spare. The steepness doesn't show with the camera angle - it is steep.

While some of the guys finished up the block, boomer and I went over to prep another job site for block. The sides on this eroded spot need to be cut to a proper angle (while using the fill in the rut), stabilized, and then the path needs to be blocked. The entire length of this climb will require 300 blocks - this is only a partial view. Luckily there is a drop site within 1/4 mile. We chopped and winched out some stumps (pesky devils) to get this ready for the next crew.

It was about 40 with a steady cold rain for most of the day. Everyone was pretty soaked but as long as you kept working you were comfortable. The parking area held a lot of water, some of which was ankle deep.

Boomer and I put in two full days before moving on. I think there are some additional people scheduled to come in on Sunday. In the end the crew was able to achieve more than what was planned for the entire weekend by the end of the day on Saturday. The new folks should be able to knock off another project tomorrow. Maybe we'll be able to get in some more work days over the winter (after things open up again post hunting season).

Nice dinner with booms and LoJack at the supper club down the road before heading out. LoJack was on his bike.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-13-2012 at 09:41 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #323
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 9,342
You guys are awesome!
Thank you for all your efforts!
One day I'll get my laziness up there and work off a few pounds.
OU812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #324
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,908
It was a ton of work. actually, we each probably lifted several tons

but at the end of the day it's good to see some progress. I had originally planned to head home Sunday morning, but it didn't appear to be campfire weather and after being soaked to the bone for 6 hours, enthusiasm waned for another night.

Cannon even locked me out of my truck he was unaware that Fords like to engage door locks even after driving an inch. On the upside, I am now entertaining a career as a professional car thief

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #325
beeper
Badger tickler

Oddometer: 772
Impressive work!!
beeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #326
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeper View Post
Impressive work!!
I think the 75' of corduroy took booms and I eight hours. This takes into account moving materials from the stockpile to the site and then doing the installation, shovel, and rake work. Larry probably did a half hour of Cat work at the site.

The block work went pretty fast with somewhere around 8-12 guys working on it. Even though we prestaged 200 blocks the previous afternoon, the bottleneck to the installation was hauling the blocks from the drop site to the job site. It was probably a 400+ block project by the time it was done.

Passing on these numbers so others can benefit from them as they plan some of these jobs.

Most important! Have stuff ready to go so people can get right to work and make the most of the time they are there.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 06:23 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 AM   #327
Claybuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
[QUOTE
Most important! Have stuff ready to go so people can get right to work and make the most of the time they are there.[/QUOTE]

Seems like the scheduling and management aspect of these jobs is more challenging than the actual labor.

Those will be some fun sections when reopened.

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
Claybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #328
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,967
I think we took 3 more loads of block in with my Truck.
About 75 blocks per load. We calculated that that was about 3300 pound of block per load.

Dinner with the club members and worker was nice. Worth staying for.
Lots of trucks and guys staging to work when we left this morning.
Rained all the way home and still raining.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #329
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Had an OK ride home last night. Didn't get too cold, the heated jacket was cranked! Thanks for the mask, C Squared, that helped a lot.

Went over to a friends and helped split and haul wood for five hours today and got a chance to ride my first two stroke around their farm while the tractor was moving to the different sites. That was a blast, a KDX 200. Then treated to home made pizza and hard cider. I'm whooped, and think I got my last sun burn of the year, but we'll see.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #330
Claybuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Anyone that wants to look over the Sauk Prairie property (where we would like to get some single track) can do a self guided auto tour on Saturday, 20 Oct 12.

Auto Tour of the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area

People are invited to take a free self-guided automobile tour of the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area located 7 miles north of Sauk City on State Highway 12. The opportunity to tour the former Badger Army Ammunition Plant will be offered on Saturday, Oct. 20, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Tour route maps will be available at the entrance off Highway 12 directing people through the property. We will post a link to the tour route map on this web page on October 19th for those who would like to print a map. Stops along the way will explain the purpose and history of facilities, structures and operations on the site.

Two tour routes are planned: a short tour route is estimated to take 1 hours to complete; a long tour route will take about 3 hours. All visitors must exit the property by 4 p.m.
Took the long tour today. After getting to really see the property, not just from hwy 12,78 or snomobile trail, it seems like a really great opportunity to create a recreation destination for multiple interests. Although, I cant help but visualize an off road park similar to those in some southern states, utilizing the whole area. Knowing that wont happen, we should make a serious effort to get some sort of OHV use there. I know many are working on it, just wishing there was more I could do.

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
Claybuster is offline   Reply With Quote