ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #346
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,073
Contacted the DNR this morning to talk about Sauk Prairie.

Our motorized interests are still alive as they go thought the process of evaluating the property to figure out what they can and can't make work.

I answered more questions about our recreational interest and was pleased to find out that the DNR has been watching some youtube videos of motocycle riding on single track trails to get a better feel for what it is like.

Right now the DNR is going through a process of notifying the owners of the adjoining properties about potential developments on the property. Once this is accomplished we will get into the next round of public comment which is likely to be in January.

I also learned that contamination on the site has only been remediated to a depth of four feet. This can be an issue as far as moving soil or wearing down through the top layer of soil through use.

I'll keep you posted as things develop. We will need another round of comments from our user group.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #347
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Contacted the DNR this morning to talk about Sauk Prairie.

Our motorized interests are still alive as they go thought the process of evaluating the property to figure out what they can and can't make work.

I answered more questions about our recreational interest and was pleased to find out that the DNR has been watching some youtube videos of motocycle riding on single track trails to get a better feel for what it is like.

Right now the DNR is going through a process of notifying the owners of the adjoining properties about potential developments on the property. Once this is accomplished we will get into the next round of public comment which is likely to be in January.

I also learned that contamination on the site has only been remediated to a depth of four feet. This can be an issue as far as moving soil or wearing down through the top layer of soil through use.

I'll keep you posted as things develop. We will need another round of comments from our user group.

Great Job Bryan! Thanks for all your hard work on this stuff!
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #348
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcniss View Post
Great Job Bryan! Thanks for all your hard work on this stuff!
Yes, thanks Bryan!!!

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #349
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Recreational Trails Aids (RTA) Program
The RTA program involves federal money administered by states including Wisconsin.
Municipal governments and incorporated organizations can receive reimbursement for developing and maintaining recreational trails and trail related facilities including motorized trails.
Reimbursement is for up to 50% of eligible project costs.
Funds from this program can be used in conjunction with other sources of funding like the upcoming OHM sticker program or grants from other programs.
Eligible projects include:
-Maintenance or restoration of existing trails.
-Development or rehabilitation of trailside or trailhead facilities and trail linkages.
-Construction of new trails.
-Property acquisition for trails.
The deadline for submitting an application under this program is typically May 1st of each year. Once applications are received they are reviewed and prioritized for approval.
If you have questions about getting involved with this program, feel free to contact me and I'll get you started and direct you to detailed instructions regarding how to apply.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #350
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Participated in a meeting today by a non-profit that is working to organize an exhibition of sorts for a variety of trail users next summer at the fairgrounds in Antigo.

The idea of this initiative is to get a variety of trail users together to share a few seminars, demonstrations, user group booths, and vendor booths.

The first version of this was conducted last summer. It was a nice event but did not garner significant attendance. Part of this meeting was to explore ways to make the event more appealing to a variety of user groups.

This will involve trail users that range from equestrians to snowmobilers.

I will share more info as this develops. Early stages right now.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #351
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Participated in a meeting today by a non-profit that is working to organize an exhibition of sorts for a variety of trail users next summer at the fairgrounds in Antigo.

This will involve trail users that range from equestrians to snowmobilers.

I will share more info as this develops. Early stages right now.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #352
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

A couple of things today.

We had a State Trails Council Meeting in Madison today.

Some comments from the DNR about how strongly we presented ourselves with regard to the Sauk Prairie (Badger Ammo) Rec Area and our desire for some single track motorcycle trails there. The next round of public input will soon be upon us once some proposals are presented by the DNR (hopefully this month).

The DNR is also working to streamline some wetland/water permit issues for trails. For anyone that has really looked into building some new trails, the wet/water and permit issues are a real burden. More on this later in the spring. Hopefully this initiative will be of huge benefit to us.

Had an appointment at the Capitol regarding the off-highway motocycle legislation. Lots of legal detail to lock-in. Frankly it is pretty tricky stuff down in the detail because there are so many ripple issues and unintended effects that have to be ferreted out. Making good progress.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 02:38 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #353
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Thanks

Thanks Bryan for all your hard work on making our state a better place! Not sure you will get any riding in with all these meetings but I am looking forward to some new winter reading material.

Thanks again

Tim
LumpyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #354
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Two small lakes were shut down to riding motorcycles on the ice last spring via Oconomowoc township ordinance.

A local tavern/restaurant owner at the lakes worked to get the township to reconsider.

The ordinance was put on the agenda for tonight's town board meeting.

About 25 people showed up in favor of ice riding - most lived in the township.

About a half dozen of us spoke for and one resident spoke against.

The town is going to rewrite the ordinance to accommodate ice riding. So that we didn't lose any time this season, the two lakes were immediately opened up for ice riding Sat-Sun from 1000-1500 until the new ordinance is enacted.

A reasonable win.

Our riders went into the meeting with good attitudes instead of taking shots. Made is easy for the township to want to do this for us.

By the way, exhaust noise seems to the the chief complaint for these types of things. We need to police ourselves so some outlier doesn't screw it up for the rest of us.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 06:56 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #355
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,640
Another happy ending.
Thanks again Brian!
You are one good rider that really puts in the effort that some of us(me for sure) just don't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aYDfwUJzYQg
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #356
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Another happy ending.
Thanks again Brian!
You are one good rider that really puts in the effort that some of us(me for sure) just don't.
We have some good folks on our team looking out for our interests. Not everyone has the same amount of time to put into these things, or a schedule that allows much in-person involvement, but a lot of people contribute as they can. The biggest thing is that a lot people get involved when we get to a situation where we have to show strong support for an issue. That has worked for us a few times in the past.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #357
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Two small lakes were shut down to riding motorcycles on the ice last spring via Oconomowoc township ordinance. ... The town is going to rewrite the ordinance to accommodate ice riding. ... A reasonable win.

Our riders went into the meeting with good attitudes instead of taking shots. Made is easy for the township to want to do this for us.

By the way, exhaust noise seems to the the chief complaint for these types of things. We need to police ourselves so some outlier doesn't screw it up for the rest of us.
Awesome news. It doesn't seem too often that riding opportunities are given back after being taken away.
And x1000 on the issue of exhaust noise turning people against us.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #358
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Nice article in the local paper today: "Ice riders defend sport at meeting."

Pretty good coverage. Nothing new. The police chief commented that his department would respond to complaints on an individual basis. He said riders have never been a problem in the past and he didn't want the entire group punished for one problem individual.

Couple of pictures too: one of a couple of bikes on the ice and one of me addressing the board.

Sometimes these articles can mobilize the opposition. In this case it seems like the issues were handled well (in reporting) and hopefully this is the end of it.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #359
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,518
Had a co-worker call me the day after the meeting and fill me in on how it went.

Said there was this very level headed guy that knew his sh#$ that spoke at the meeting.

I knew right away who he was talking about and he confirmed when I fired out your name.

Thanks again for all you do Bryan!

Quote:

Pretty good coverage. Nothing new. The police chief commented that his department would respond to complaints on an individual basis. He said riders have never been a problem in the past and he didn't want the entire group punished for one problem individual.

Couple of pictures too: one of a couple of bikes on the ice and one of me addressing the board.

Sometimes these articles can mobilize the opposition. In this case it seems like the issues were handled well (in reporting) and hopefully this is the end of it.

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #360
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Quote:

What paper was that Bryan? I want to see if I can find the article on line.

Great job as always Bryan!! Thanks for all you do for our sport!
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote