ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #376
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 78
I know it's been said before, but it can't be said enough - thanks for all you do as an amassador and advocate to the sport!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #377
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
When the proposal come out, the public comment period is going to be a real battle. We need to be involved on a large scale to keep our interests alive.
Hell yeah!

Thanks Cannon!!

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #378
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,386
Just a little information on a struggle we will face once the OHM legislation is introduced.

Madison - New projections show Wisconsin's transportation fund is spiraling toward a $63.5 million deficit by mid-2015, leaving lawmakers groping for how to pay for building and repairing roads across the state over the next two years.

The transportation fund consists mostly of gas tax revenue and vehicle registration fees. It covers highway improvements and maintenance, as well as aid to local governments for road work and funds the Division of Motor Vehicles and the State Patrol. Over the past few years, legislators have grown more worried about the fund's solvency as people consume less fuel, resulting in less tax revenue.

An important part of funding for our program is getting gas tax money that would otherwise go to the transportation fund. The way this works is we are seeking a credit for fuel we buy that is not used on highways. Since we are not on highways, the tax money for that purpose should be given to us to pay for trails. This is calculated using a formula of so many gallons of fuel per OHM registered vehicle per year. We are asking for 50 gallons. Snowmobiles get 50 right now. ATVs get 25 and are trying to get 50.

This can be a significant amount of money. For ATVs it is about half of their total amount available (the other half is registrations).

By the way, once you get more and more trails the registrations and gas money go flat so it becomes difficult to sustain what you already built meaning that you are unable to build much new stuff. If you can't keep up sustainment costs, things get pro-rated downward and the trail system begins to deteriorate.

We can anticipate a difficult battle trying to get a decent OHM payment on gas tax money in the current environment. There are serious issues with trying to pay for the highway network.

Just trying to keep some issues visible as related news stories appear.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #379
scrubby81
Auto Builder

Oddometer: 138
The main problem is that the tax money that should go for roads trails Ect. goes for many other things but mainly not the roads it is intended for.

Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #380
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby81 View Post
The main problem is that the tax money that should go for roads trails Ect. goes for many other things but mainly not the roads it is intended for.
Truth there in most states.
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #381
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby81 View Post
We build more and "better" (more expensive) roads. At the same time we encourage fuel economy and even electric cars. With a saturation of highways that still needs to be expanded, some being very expensive, and a decrease in the amount of fuel that people buy due to increased economy and changes to travel habits, the money being generated under a tax structure built on a previous set of circumstances no longer pays the bills. It is less about sinister spending and more about a need to reform the tax and fee structure that pays for roads.

Simplified explanation, but it illustrates the concept.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #382
scrubby81
Auto Builder

Oddometer: 138
It just makes me mad that they keep taking from a fund for somthing waist it on somthing else then raise taxes on fuel, regesteration, or licence to cover all the bad choices they have made with tax money.

Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #383
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Made a presentation to the USFS, some county people, and some area ATV people up in Eagle River today. Mostly it was about what we do with adventure and dual sport motorcycles in north central Wisconsin. I explained how we develop, record, and share riding paths along with the issues associated with the process. The idea was to establish some supportive relationships with certain people and groups in that area. Worked out very well. We improved our posture as off-highway motorcyclists with all involved. This is one of those building blocks I sometimes refer to that will eventually serve us well as we get further down the road. It also helps to head off any issues with the unusual density of riding during the central rally.

Edit: For those that don't know, Vilas County is adamantly opposed to ATV/OHM. I thought I should mention this as it sheds more light on the significance of this initiative.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 08:18 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #384
Ajacks
"Not in the face"

Oddometer: 146
Good deal, thanks
Ajacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #385
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Had an appointment with Tourism Wisconsin today. Got some things done for us.

Off-Highway, adventure, and dual sport motorcycling will be included in the next Wisconsin Activity Guide booklet. We've been pretty invisible in the past.

Our motorcycle events will be included in the Tourism Wisconsin database. This means people can search for them via keyword, location, date, etc. I'm working on the details on how we will achieve that.

I'll be working with their writer and web person to get an article up about OHM/DS/ADV in Wisconsin with some photos.

I am thinking we can feature some of our adventure routes so people can load up and ride.

Also talked about the potential for grants to promote some things. Most of what we do is typically outside the criteria, but I'm examining the potential for something bigger.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 09:59 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #386
Claybuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Excellent! Nice work, Sir.
Claybuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #387
OU812
Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer: 8,820
Bryan.
The right person at the right time and places.
Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #388
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Thanks all. When I retired I swore I wasn't getting involved in anything and that I wasn't going to any more damn meetings. I guess that didn't work out.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #389
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Can't stay away

Bryan,

You did it for so long you just couldn't stay away for to long. We really appreciate everything. Couldn't think of a more qualified ambassador. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #390
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

We could use more riders involved in this. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get you started on it.