ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #421
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,146
Thanks for the update, Claybuster. Attending the open house will be out of reach for me, but I hope others will represent us well there. I'll continue to submit written comments as appropriate.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #422
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybuster View Post

A public open house is set for July 31 from 5 - 7:30 p.m. at the River Arts Center,105 Ninth St., Prairie du Sac.

The open house agenda is as follows:

5 to 6 p.m.: Open house where the public can ask questions and leave their comments

6 - 6:15 p.m.: A short presentation

6:15 - 7:30 p.m.: Resume open house

Written comments can also be submitted to Diane Brusoe, 101 S Webster St., Madison, WI 53709 or diane.brusoe@wisconsin.gov. The deadline for submitting comments is 4:30 p.m., Aug. 30, 2013.

Probably can't make the open house, but happy to send comments to Ms. Brusoe. Anyone have tips for the best/most pursuasive points to get across?

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #423
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 17,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMuck View Post
Probably can't make the open house, but happy to send comments to Ms. Brusoe. Anyone have tips for the best/most pursuasive points to get across?
Once again I will put together some points to cover in OHM/DS advocate comments like I did back when I started working this project. I will tailor them to the current situation and range of options. I've been out of town so I haven't put anything together yet, but I will in plenty of time to send them in.

Please don't repeat the suggested remarks word for word. Best to rewrite the points in your own words.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #424
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

You guys have heard me mentioned Recreational Trails Program money in the past. This is important to us because it allows us to get matching grants to get some projects done. It is significant coin here in WI. The money comes from taxes we are charged on fuel we use for off-road purposes.

Someone just introduced an amendment to a bill that would kill off this program.

We can't live with that.

Please send a message to your Senators asking them to oppose amendment No. 1742 to S. 1243.

It only takes a moment to do so. Just search for the Senators for your state and submit an e-mail or comment.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 07-24-2013 at 04:54 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #425
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Please send a message to your Senators asking them to oppose amendment No. 1742 to S. 1234.
In an attempt to sound smaht and sofisticated before I fired off an email I tried looking up the bill.

Am I doing this right?
S.1234 - Fracturing Regulations are Effective in State Hands Act

Is this one of those things where the politicians try to slip something into law on an unrelated bill?
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #426
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON View Post
In an attempt to sound smaht and sofisticated before I fired off an email I tried looking up the bill.

Am I doing this right?
S.1234 - Fracturing Regulations are Effective in State Hands Act

Is this one of those things where the politicians try to slip something into law on an unrelated bill?
Sorry, Senate Bill 1243.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #427
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
someone want to quote the text for me, i can't find shit
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #428
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,527
Please help me to understand how this kills off RTP? RTP is called out in section 206 of The United States Code. I couldn't find anything in the summary of Senate Bill 1243 that calls out RTP either. Did I miss something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
someone want to quote the text for me, i can't find shit
SA 1742. Mr. PAUL submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill S. 1243, making appropriations for the Departments of Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development, and related agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2014, and for other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

On page 38, between lines 17 and 18, insert the following:

Sec. 1__XXX. (a) None of the funds made available under this Act shall be used to carry out the transportation alternatives program under section 213 of title 23, United States Code.

(b) Amounts that would have been made available to carry out the transportation alternatives program described in subsection (a) shall be made available to the Secretary to carry out activities under the heading ``BRIDGES IN CRITICAL CORRIDORS''.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #429
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

If this is another lobster drive-by . . . .

BRC just learned that Sen. Rand Paul (KY) is planning to offer an amendment - Senate Amendment 1742 -- to the Transportation Appropriations bill (Senate Bill 1243) to transfer all funding from the Transportation Alternatives Program to pay for bridge repairs instead. The Transportation Alternatives Program includes all the funding for the Recreational Trails Program, in addition to funding for what used to be known as Transportation Enhancements, as well as Safe Routes to School.

Personally, I rely on the attorneys and lobbyists for the major recreational interest groups to watchdog and interpret these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Please help me to understand how this kills off RTP? RTP is called out in section 206 of The United States Code. I couldn't find anything in the summary of Senate Bill 1243 that calls out RTP either. Did I miss something?

SA 1742. Mr. PAUL submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill S. 1243, making appropriations for the Departments of Transportation, and Housing and Urban Development, and related agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2014, and for other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

On page 38, between lines 17 and 18, insert the following:

Sec. 1__XXX. (a) None of the funds made available under this Act shall be used to carry out the transportation alternatives program under section 213 of title 23, United States Code.

(b) Amounts that would have been made available to carry out the transportation alternatives program described in subsection (a) shall be made available to the Secretary to carry out activities under the heading ``BRIDGES IN CRITICAL CORRIDORS''.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #430
vwboomer
Buffoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
If this is another lobster drive-by . . . .

BRC just learned that Sen. Rand Paul (KY) is planning to offer an amendment - Senate Amendment 1742 -- to the Transportation Appropriations bill (Senate Bill 1243) to transfer all funding from the Transportation Alternatives Program to pay for bridge repairs instead. The Transportation Alternatives Program includes all the funding for the Recreational Trails Program, in addition to funding for what used to be known as Transportation Enhancements, as well as Safe Routes to School.

Personally, I rely on the attorneys and lobbyists for the major recreational interest groups to watchdog and interpret these things.
Well now why didn't ya just say so? I tried following the link to the bill/ammendments and wasn't able to find anything related to trails.
I will get an email out tomorrow. That portion seems to me as though it would have a small chance of passing, but never know.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #431
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Well now why didn't ya just say so? I tried following the link to the bill/ammendments and wasn't able to find anything related to trails.
I will get an email out tomorrow. That portion seems to me as though it would have a small chance of passing, but never know.
I didn't realize you were so interested in the Recreational Trails Program. Next time I see you I'll make it a point to tell you all about it. (I serve on a council at works the program in Wisconsin.)
Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #432
vwboomer
Buffoon

Who has time to keep up with all this stuff?

I havent seen a trail his year, but I bet they are good to have
Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #433
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Who has time to keep up with all this stuff?

I havent seen a trail his year, but I bet they are good to have
Damn few people. That is why it is important to join associations that advocate for us. Issues run too deep in the detail sometimes for casual observers to pick out.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #434
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I've been going over the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area materials for this iteration of a comment period. The period runs from 15 July - 30 August.

During the initial comment period, motorized recreation made a significant showing in expressing a need for motorized recreation opportunities in this underserved part of the state - particularly single track motorcycle trail.

This significant expression may have surprised some people that might not be fond of the idea of motorized recreation at the site.

I heard from a group that has been very involved with this project over the years and has a strong and narrow vision of how the property should be developed. Their vision does not include motorized trails.

The DNR is taking an extra step by providing this additional comment period before presenting a draft master plan. They say they want to be sure that all stakeholders have a chance to be heard from. Could be that this is being done because this is a contentious issue with some groups.

You can bet that during this comment period those that are against motorized recreation on this property will be a significant voice.

We need to make a strong showing again (maybe even stronger) this time around to advocate for OHM trails.

I will put together some notes for people to consider in formulating their input to the DNR on this topic. The message will be the same, but I'll tailor some of the talking points to follow the format of the on-line survey the DNR is using. I'll attend the in-person meeting and afterward put together some material for you to reference in making your comments.

Expect to see that later this week. The comment period ends August 30th.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #435
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 309
Thanks Cannon!

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote