ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #481
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,060
Some of you will be interested to know that a bill was introduced in Michigan that would stop the plating of off-road bikes.

The bill may be aimed at preventing people from licensing UTVs but takes out bikes as well.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2013-SIB-0491.htm

Sec. 219. (1) The secretary of state shall refuse issuance of a registration or a transfer of registration upon any of the following grounds:

(H) THE VEHICLE IS AN OFF-ROAD VEHICLE MANUFACTURED EXCLUSIVELY FOR OFF-ROAD USE AS INDICATED BY EITHER THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER OR A VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER ASSIGNED BY THE DEPARTMENT, UNLESS THE APPLICATION IS ACCOMPANIED BY A WRITTEN STATEMENT FROM THE MANUFACTURER OF THE OFF-ROAD VEHICLE CERTIFYING THAT THE OFF-ROAD VEHICLE MAY BE MODIFIED FOR ON-ROAD USE. AS USED IN THIS SUBDIVISION, OFF-ROAD VEHICLE INCLUDES A GOLF CART.

Thanks to 2TrakR of GLDS for keeping an eye this.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #482
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,654
Thumbs down

Wow!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering when they would slam the door on this.
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #483
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Yeti View Post
Wow!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering when they would slam the door on this.
Illinois just tightened up as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #484
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,550
I got caught up in Iowa's version of that law when I moved there from Illinois in 2010. My KTM instantly became worthless as Iowa refused to give me a plate and ignored my IL plate. Heck, in 2006 Illinois gave me a plate for a Gas Gas 300 with zero issues.

As broke as these states are today you'd think they'd want the revenue. I guess V-Twins with homemade frames are more profitable.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:17 AM   #485
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,538
Emails to all Senators involved (those who sponsored the bill as well as all the Transportation Committee members) have been fired off.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #486
two trackin fool
Scott

Oddometer: 1,148
Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #487
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,538
This the response I got via email:

Quote:
Thank you for your email regarding SB 491. The intent of the legislation was not to include motorcycles and dirt bikes. We will definitely have to go in and specify these vehicles are to be excluded.

The real goal of the legislation is to get safely modified off road vehicles on the road. The problem currently is that many off road enthusiast are having a difficult time registering their ORV for street use due to the fact they cannot get insurance. As you know, to get registered you must show proof of insurance.

By simply having an ATV manufacturer certify that the machine is modifiable to become safely street legal the insurance companies will cover these vehicles and in turn, the vehicles can become registered. This has become a bigger problem with the increased popularity of "side by side" off road vehicles.

I appreciate your interest in my legislation and glad you brought this issue to my attention. I look forward to working on this legislation further and please feel free to keep in touch with me on its progression.

Sincerely,

Jack Brandenburg

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #488
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Badger Ammunition and ATV's

To be fair, I am not a big fan of ATV's... They often give riders a false sense of security, and need little, if any, skill to initially ride. They are a GREAT tool for farmers and hunters without question, and yes they can be fun....

Regardless, I hope the Badger Plant does open trails for OHV. However after reading the Cap Times article, I begin to wonder if siding with the ATV's was a mistake? Not sure, but they do focus on ATV safety in the article, and even state motorcycles are safer (which I believe are). The ATV lobby does have power, however, an argument can be made that single-track motorcycle trails have less of an environmental impact. Not to mention, it seems that dirt bikes seem to take a real backseat to ATVs in articles on off-roading and in popularity. A dirt bike only option for Badger? Less riders (impact wise), less machine mass and track size too.

Besides, I can honestly say, I avoid mudholes on a dirt bike, but on an ATV it was exactly the opposite in the past (have not ridden an ATV in 8 years). Just a thought, regardless, Cannon has done a wonderful job representing the motorbikes.... Thank you.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #489
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
To be fair, I am not a big fan of ATV's... They often give riders a false sense of security, and need little, if any, skill to initially ride. They are a GREAT tool for farmers and hunters without question, and yes they can be fun....

Regardless, I hope the Badger Plant does open trails for OHV. However after reading the Cap Times article, I begin to wonder if siding with the ATV's was a mistake? Not sure, but they do focus on ATV safety in the article, and even state motorcycles are safer (which I believe are). The ATV lobby does have power, however, an argument can be made that single-track motorcycle trails have less of an environmental impact. Not to mention, it seems that dirt bikes seem to take a real backseat to ATVs in articles on off-roading and in popularity. A dirt bike only option for Badger? Less riders (impact wise), less machine mass and track size too.

Besides, I can honestly say, I avoid mudholes on a dirt bike, but on an ATV it was exactly the opposite in the past (have not ridden an ATV in 8 years). Just a thought, regardless, Cannon has done a wonderful job representing the motorbikes.... Thank you.
The Cap Times article is an outlier. I wouldn't see it as being too threatening. That kind of thing appeals to people that already align with that point of view.

When I first started on this, I went in seeking motorcycle trails there. I focused solely on that and not on ATVs. Since then, the ATV folks got involved as well. Now we are wedded to some extent. It is in our best interest to be partners on this.

People have varying opinions about other recreational interests. There is usually something to like and something to complain about. None of our groups are immune - especially OHM. That is one reason why I work so hard to get people to understand that there is zero payoff in complaining about other motorized groups - especially ATVs. With around 300,000 registered machines and more clubs than you can count, that group has significant political influence. I see it personally in my dealings with legislators. Some of the benefits we will enjoy in our program were won by the ATV people. We are dragging much of what they plowed (farmer speak).

Although motorcycles made a big appearance in demonstrating their interest in developing a trail at Badger, the ATV folks came in later with very strong influence to help all of us work to get Option 3 that will allow motorized recreation at the site.

We are after single track motorcycle trail at Badger, regardless of what the ATV trails looks like. The DNR planners understand this. There is no reason that we can't both enjoy our recreational interests at the site without any real conflict.

I am starting to believe this is going to happen!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #490
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I am starting to believe this is going to happen!
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #491
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

A blast from the past . . . 1980.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #492
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
The ATV vs. dirt bike rivalry reminds me of the bow vs. crossbow hunting disputes. You're both doing the EXACT SAME THING with slightly different tools. Pointless and counterproductive IMO.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #493
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

One of the key funding components for the motorcycle program was a rebate on state taxes collected on fuel intended for the highways but used off-highway. This could be a significant amount of money. The ATV, snowmobile, and boat community has been benefitting for years. I think the ATVs score a little over $2M a year by counting about 300,000 ATVs at 25 gallons each.

Well then, some politicians raided the transportation fund to pay for some other non-trans programs. This pissed some people off so an amendment to the state constitution was proposed to require money collected for transportation to be spent on transportation. The proposed amendment grandfathered snowmobiles, boats, and ATVs as being exempt as they were an existing program in 2010.

To get a constitutional amendment, it has to pass two separate legislatures (joint) and then go on the ballot for a citizen vote. It already has gone through the first consideration and passed. For the second consideration, it cannot be amended. They can only vote up or down. If it passes the second time (it will) it will likely go on the ballot in Nov 2014.

This means that we are locked out of getting excise taxes back to spend on trails. We are looking for ways to try to get something going, but it isn't in the cards right now.

This means we go ahead with our OHM legislation without the provision for gas tax money. A setback, but not insurmountable. For example, Michigan doesn't do this.

We will still get money for trails from federal gas taxes under the Recreational Trails Program. No sure how long that program will last over time either.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #494
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Did some work at the Capitol today. Attended a hearing on the 4WD bill. That went well for the 4WD folks. No big opposition. Was scouting to see what issues might develop with our bill. Things looks good.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #495
LumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Thanks for all your efforts Bryan!
LumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote