ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #541
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post

About three times as many people voiced opposition to motorized use as advocated for motorized use at the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area. In addition, the letters from elected officials and governments expressed concern regarding the proposal to incorporate motorized uses on the property or opposed their inclusion. All of the resolutions passed by local units of government opposed the incorporation of motorized uses on the property.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/master...veySummary.pdf

and this is why wisconsin sucks, and will continue to suck for us. The dismissal of our recreational needs may not be written in stone, but the writing is on the wall.

Anyone who doesn't ride is automatically opposed to us being able to utilize the land, any land really, Whether they know anything about the sport or not. And those people vastly out numbers us.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 AM   #542
reveille
Now 70% Better!

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
and this is why wisconsin sucks, and will continue to suck for us. The dismissal of our recreational needs may not be written in stone, but the writing is on the wall.

Anyone who doesn't ride is automatically opposed to us being able to utilize the land, any land really, Whether they know anything about the sport or not. And those people vastly out numbers us.
Try Illinois. We have zero zip zilth public access for riding. What kills me here is that non enthusiast's are convinced that we are tearing up the environment even though the facts prove otherwise. It's a uphill battle but one worth fighting. Keep the faith we need to push back and chisel away at the ignorance.
reveille is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #543
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by reveille View Post
Try Illinois. We have zero zip zilth public access for riding. What kills me here is that non enthusiast's are convinced that we are tearing up the environment even though the facts prove otherwise. It's a uphill battle but one worth fighting. Keep the faith we need to push back and chisel away at the ignorance.
First off, keep in mind that this anti-motor reaction was centered on a Madison based group of activists that are making a full-court press on Sauk Prairie for their preferred use. Don't think this represents things state-wide.

Much of what we need to invest in supporting our recreational interest involves generating some understanding from those who may oppose us. The best way to do this is to tell our story over and over on a widespread basis. Understanding brings acceptance. This is a good portion of the work I do with officials. Be visible with a positive representation of our interests.

This also involves doing things to peer police knuckleheads that do stupid stuff that the antis use against us.

Things are not nearly as bleak as you think. I just had a very positive conversation with someone from the front office of the DNR expressing their support for our rec interest and their desire to get us some motorized opportunities in the southern part of the state. A deal they were working on in SW WI, that would have been a fabulous facility, couldn't be completed because on landowner inflated his price to the point beyond where the state was not allowed to purchase it.

We need to keep working at it. Even if we lose a few, the losses serve as more pressure to get something better done.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #544
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

An environmental reporter wrote an article for the Journal-Sentinel about the Sauk Prairie issues.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #545
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 248
Thumb Kudos Cannonshot

As an off-road enthusiast of 40+ years AND an environmentalist/tree-hugger THANK YOU CANNONSHOT for your level-headed approach and advocacy work on these issues.

I have disassociated myself from several groups on both sides of this kind of issue over the years because of their single-minded self-serving approaches and knee-jerk reactions, yet as Cannonshot posts "Much of what we need to invest in supporting our recreational interest involves generating some understanding from those who may oppose us. The best way to do this is to tell our story over and over on a widespread basis. Understanding brings acceptance. This is a good portion of the work I do with officials. Be visible with a positive representation of our interests.

This also involves doing things to peer police knuckleheads that do stupid stuff that the antis use against us. "
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #546
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

The two WDSR events are now live on Travel Wisconsin.

http://www.travelwisconsin.com/events/adventure-sports/ride-for-research-dual-sport-71067

http://www.travelwisconsin.com/events/adventure-sports/big-woods-200-dual-sport-71070

I also sent them some pix to add to the rotation for "Adventure" in "Outdoor Recreation".

We have a sub-category of "Off-Highway and Adventure Motorcycling".

Part of what I wanted to do to make off-highway motorcycling more visible throughout the state.

I will be contacting other clubs for the info I need to post their events.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #547
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Saw my congressman this morning. Three issues I wanted to address. One was E15. He is all over the ethanol issue and has introduced a bill requiring additional independent testing (H.R. 875). It was very interesting to hear the background he developed from manufacturers before taking his position.

There have been several tests and warnings highlighting E15s harmful effects on engines and their components, but they have all been dismissed by the EPA. Therefore, we must force the EPA to stop the use of E15 fuel until the serious safety, durability, performance and environmental concerns have been addressed. Throughout the 112th Congress, I introduced several bills to address the risks associated with E15. And earlier this week, witnesses from AAA, the American Motorcycle Association, and the Coordinating Research Council all testified to the Science, Space and Technology Committee that more testing is needed. We have a responsibility to ensure that Americans using gas-powered machinery whether it be cars and boats or chainsaws and lawnmowers are not put at risk due to faulty fuel that has not been adequately vetted.

The other two issues were:

2. The President can designate land as a National Monument with the stroke of a pen. This can be a problem for quick closures of land to motorized recreation. The point was that closing land should be left to congress where voices can be more broadly represented.

3. The CDC is down on motorcycling in that many injuries can be prevented by using a helmet. I am a helmet user but I believe that the federal government shouldn't try to mandate helmet use - this is a state matter. A problem I see is that if we start to single out specific things about motorcycling we are setting the table for even more federal restrictions in the future.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #548
Wisconsinkris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
From #3 above

With federal healthcare in motion perhaps they are trying to help keep claim costs down?
Wisconsinkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #549
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsinkris View Post
From #3 above

With federal healthcare in motion perhaps they are trying to help keep claim costs down?
Might be an add-on factor now, but this issue pre-dates that.

No doubt the data supports the point they are trying to make. The data on a lot of other activities (like farming) supports a point there as well.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #550
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

The long motorcycle recession may finally be over, with national sales edging upward and Wisconsin bike registrations up considerably from five years ago.

Recent data from the Motorcycle Industry Council, published in trade journals, shows a 0.9% year-over-year sales gain for the third quarter, erasing a 5.2% decline registered through the end of the second quarter.

Sales of off-highway and dual-sport bikes showed the greatest percentage gains, while scooter sales continued to lag and were down nearly 17% from a year ago.

The Motorcycle Industry Council compiles its figures from the major manufacturers including Harley-Davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, BMW, Can-Am, Ducati, Triumph, KTM, Victory and the Piaggio Group.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/business/mot...#ixzz2lXvom65p
Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #551
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

More acid in the newspaper about Sauk Prairie.

http://m.host.madison.com/news/local...ile_touch=true
Old 11-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #552
madwrench
Engulfed

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
The two WDSR events are now live on Travel Wisconsin [.......] I will be contacting other clubs for the info I need to post their events.
Got your email and we will definitely add the Bucky to the list.

madwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #553
madwrench
Engulfed

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
As an off-road enthusiast of 40+ years AND an environmentalist/tree-hugger [.......] I have disassociated myself from several groups on both sides of this kind of issue over the years because of their single-minded self-serving approaches and knee-jerk reactions [.....]
This also involves doing things to peer police knuckleheads that do stupid stuff that the antis use against us. "
I completely agree. I enjoy back country hiking trips into areas that take some real work to access (i.e. backpacking for days), and I truly believe some of those should be off limits to my KTM. However, I also understand that a lot of areas should be accessible to as many users as reasonable. The Badger site is one of them (as are Moab and many others!). In my view folks like us who see both sides have a responsibility to be even more vocal than the single-issue crowds, because we can talk to both groups.

madwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #554
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 248
Thumb

+1 agreed
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #555
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,193
+2
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote