ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 AM   #46
Ecksarelle
Ecksarelle

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat
Would it help change this member's mind if we were to lobby him directly ...?
I'd be happy to write a letter/call if it will help. Just need direction on the specific message and verbiage to be delivered.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #47
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat
Would it help change this member's mind if we were to lobby him directly (in a polite and professional manner)?
No, I think it would probably even make things worse.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #48
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by from Email rec'd today
At the April 28, 2009 State Trails Council meeting, the Ad Hoc Committee presented their report to the Governor’s Wisconsin State Trails Council. The Council would now like to hear what you think about the nine recommendations outlined in the Report.

E-mail your comments on the report to DNRWIStateTrails@wi.gov, by Friday, June, 19, 2009. Comments may also be submitted via U.S. mail:

State Trails Coordinator
101 S Webster Street
Madison, WI 53703
Posted here in case anyone isnt on the same email list I am...
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #49
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

An important comment to make would be to strongly endorse the recommendation that an off-highway motorcycle representative be appointed immediately to fill a current vacancy on the Council.

There is a member of the STC that is opposing this recommendation.

It would be helpful to show some strong support for getting this representative appointed now. There are several initiatives in the works for off-highway motorcyclists making it important to get someone on the STC now.

All it takes is a simple e-mail to offer an opinion.

Edit: I should add that other groups, particularly the silent sports groups, will be well organized in getting the word out to submit comments. If we are going to be a credible group, it is important that people follow though and send in a comment.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #50
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Attended a meeting of the State Trails Council Friday.

I and another Ad Hoc Cmte member were there. We spoke as a representatives of the committee with regard to our work. I was able to answer some citizen concerns and participate with the STC as they went through a portion of our recommendations one by one. So far they have agreed to several of the recommendations and are slated to discuss the "meaty" ones at the next meeting in October.

There is still some opposition to giving priority to the off-highway motorcycle representative but this may turn out to be irrelevant since it appears that there will be five positions up for appointment all at once. Of course, the STC has not yet adopted the structure that we recommended so not much is going to happen until those points get decided (hopefully) in October.

Even though the work of our committee is over (our recommendation has been made), some of us are staying with the project to try to get it adopted as recommended. Hopefully things will turn out well, but . . .
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #51
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I should add one more thing.

During the meeting Friday a citizen brought in photos of the damage done by some motorized vehicles on the Ice Age Trail (a hiking only trail). He also told a story about the two violators splashing them with mud, etc.

This caused another citizen to point out his experience under the same circumstances near the same spot with some unique plant being destroyed.

Granted, that these two lunkheads who were violating the law while using their motorized off road vehicle are not typical or representative of our group, but it is fuel for those inclined to oppose motorized recreation.

In fact, this topic is now on the next STC agenda so I'm sure there will be a lot of anti-motorized discussion.

It is frustrating for people to be trying to advocate for motorized recreation to have to suffer the damage done to our cause by a very few law breakers who give us a bad name. The people causing the trouble probably think they are anonymous. The end result is their handiwork gets displayed and generally attributed to us all. This happens all too often and makes it easier for the antis to oppose our interests.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #52
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Update on Revamp of State Trails Council

I attended the State Trails Council meeting again last Friday as a representative of the Ad Hoc Cmte that was put together to make recommendations to achieve more complete representation of trail users on the State Trails Council.

The council completed the review of our recommendations and voted to accept most of what was recommended.

One major point that was not accepted was that the next appointment to the State Trails Council was to be an off-highway motorcycle representative. At the last minute, a couple of the members made a move to give that slot to the four wheel drive community and make the off highway motorcycle people wait until the statute is changed to make the council grow from 9 to 11 members.

There were a number of 4WD people in the audience at the meeting. I was the only motorcycle person there. I was also in a role of speaking for the entire recommendaton from the ad hoc cmte which was intended to do justice for all user groups.

In the end I had to re-argue the case for giving the next slot to the OHM representative. Frankly, I felt like I was taking fire from three sides and being the only motorcycle representative there I didn't have the supporting elements that may have helped influence the battle.

On one hand I feel great that most of the recommendations were accepted but I feel like the motorcycle people lost a step forward by losing the motorcycle rep.

What needs to happen is that we need to get some well informed and articulate motorcycle people to start attending these meetings to press for the follow through to get the statutory change to grow the STC from 9 to 11 members so we can get on board. We need people to show up not to just silently sit there, but to speak in an informed manner to get things to happen.

Frankly, the STC adopting our recommendations does not mean that the required changes will actually be made. It is more complicated than that, so it is important for our voice to be heard at every meeting.

There will be more things to do that I will address later, but right now this is something we need to work on.

On another note, it is very disheartening to attend these meetings and hear the complaints made by citizens about motorized people being on hiking, biking, and other trails where they don't belong. I realize that this bad behavior is an exception to what most motorized people do, but it is fuel for the anti-motorized fire and it evokes a disproportionate response that harms the potential for motorized recreation everywhere.

So, our community needs to be very active in policing those among us who may at some point do the wrong thing. This means that we have to be active in making on the spot corrections. If you see someone someplace they shouldn't be, please take action to correct the behavior before it causes a problem. Remember that people's perceptions result in as good an anti-motorized story as a real incident, so we need to make sure we are presenting ourselves as being clearly on the up and up.

I realize that there are very few people who cause these problems, but they are often attributed to motorized recreation as a whole.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #53
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot

One major point that was not accepted was that the next appointment to the State Trails Council was to be an off-highway motorcycle representative. At the last minute, a couple of the members made a move to give that slot to the four wheel drive community and make the off highway motorcycle people wait until the statute is changed to make the council grow from 9 to 11 members.
Bryan, thanks for your work and the update. This paragraph presents a few reactionary questions. The big one being, when is the statute expected to change? Are budgetary restraints expected to prolong this?

It's great to hear that they are receptive to the Ad-hoc Committee's input. Missing the opportunity to get an mc rep is certainly disheartening. I'd say that it's like seeing the guy that bought the scratch-off lotto ticket after you win big, but it's not. Luck has nothing to do with this.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #54
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
[quote=Cannonshot]I attended the State Trails Council meeting again last Friday as a representative of the Ad Hoc Cmte that was put together to make recommendations to achieve more complete representation of trail users on the State Trails Council.

Cannonshot was this forum open to the public? I would have liked to go if it was. Are there any more meetings like this one scheduled in the future?

Thanks again for all the hard work you've done!
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 PM   #55
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

[quote=Hasteloy-X]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
I attended the State Trails Council meeting again last Friday as a representative of the Ad Hoc Cmte that was put together to make recommendations to achieve more complete representation of trail users on the State Trails Council.

Cannonshot was this forum open to the public? I would have liked to go if it was. Are there any more meetings like this one scheduled in the future?

Thanks again for all the hard work you've done!
State Trails Council meetings are open to the public. They meet about four times a year. Membership to the STC is based on appointments by the Governor.

At each meeting, there is some time set aside for people who attend and observe the meetings to comment. The public does not generally participate in the discussions of the STC until the designated time - usually near the end of the meeting.

Being there and commenting about specific interests is very helpful. The expression "out of sight out of mind" is relative here.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #56
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow
Bryan, thanks for your work and the update. This paragraph presents a few reactionary questions. The big one being, when is the statute expected to change? Are budgetary restraints expected to prolong this?

It's great to hear that they are receptive to the Ad-hoc Committee's input. Missing the opportunity to get an mc rep is certainly disheartening. I'd say that it's like seeing the guy that bought the scratch-off lotto ticket after you win big, but it's not. Luck has nothing to do with this.
For the statute to change, some key people must take steps to initiate this action and follow through. One could say it might not happen without sustained pressure get this done. The more pressure to follow through, the more likely it is to happen.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #57
marum017
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Cannon,
I've been visiting this site for a couple of weeks now, and this thread convinced me to sign up. I live up in the Eau Claire area and would like to do whatever I can to help out. If you could provide some guidance (beyond what's currently in this thread) on where to start, it'd be much appreciated!!

Anyone you know up in my area currently working on this that could use some help?

Andy
marum017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #58
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by marum017
Cannon,
I've been visiting this site for a couple of weeks now, and this thread convinced me to sign up. I live up in the Eau Claire area and would like to do whatever I can to help out. If you could provide some guidance (beyond what's currently in this thread) on where to start, it'd be much appreciated!!

Anyone you know up in my area currently working on this that could use some help?

Andy
More to come of this later. . . .

State Trails Council Meetings coming up. It would be good to have some well informed and articulate off highway motorcyclists attend these meetings to express their urgent interest in getting the Ad Hoc Committe's recommendations fully adopted (to include an OHM rep on the council).
Meeting Schedule for 2010
  • Monday, January 11, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Teleconference
  • Thursday, April 22, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. State Capitol Building
  • Friday, August 6, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Location TBD
  • Friday, October 29, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Fitchburg/Madison
Old 12-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #59
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Wow here is an interesting development. We just went through an ordeal to restructure the State Trails Council to have trail user group representatives be the STC members. The new structure was worked out over the better part of a year with people from the user groups. The recommendation to (and accepted by) the STC did not include a Tourism seat on the council (which is limited in size by statute). People from a group like Tourism would be accommodated by being accepted as non-voting participants at meetings. Seats were to be carefully managed as terms expired to get the recommended representatives in place. The limited number of seats on the council were to be held by user group representatives as part of an effort to get the most fair and complete representation.

Despite all that, which was confirmed by the STC only a couple of months ago, I see that a Tourism representative was just appointed to hold a seat on the STC (four year term).

Needless to say this will be a significant point of frustration with some user groups that are not well represented and with those from the committe that worked so diligently to come up with a fair and proper structure for the council.

Wisconsin DNR Trail News 12/23/2009
Next Meeting of the Governor's State Trails Council: Monday, January 11, 2010

The next meeting of the Governor’s State Trails Council will be held Monday, January 11, 2010 from 10 a.m. until 12 p.m. The meeting will be held via teleconference. Any interested parties that are not members of the Council may attend the meeting by coming to Room 513 of the Department of Natural Resources' Central Office, located in the GEF 2 building at 101 South Webster Street in Madison. We are also working on arrangements for the public to participate in the phone conference at the Rhinelander Service Center. If you are interested in attending at the Rhinelander location, please contact Joe below.

The State Trails Council (STC) is appointed by the Governor under the authority of statute 15.347(16) to provide state trail user groups and individuals a voice in the statewide trails program. The STC also provides a forum for dealing with solutions to conflicts between and within trail user groups and trail providers. Additionally, the STC provides advice and consultation to the Department of Natural Resources regarding the planning, acquisition, development, and management of trails in Wisconsin.

Agenda items will include an introduction of new appointee Lindor “Skip” Maletzke of Mountain who has been appointed by Governor Doyle to represent Tourism/Business, a review of the AHC recommendations as accepted by the STC, Stewardship Program Access update, master plans update, RTP update, Trail Crew update and other trail issues. The agenda and additional information about the STC is available online: http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/parks/trails/council.

Please RSVP by January 6, 2010 (josephc.warren@wisconsin.gov; 608.267.7487) if you are planning to attend the January 11 meeting.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #60
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,461
So, did the tourism guy fill an empty seat or replace someone?
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote