ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #616
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,252
OK, we are set for the hearing tomorrow. It will be a busy day for the committee as they have a bunch of bills to consider.

Those that attend should make sure they fill out a slip registering in favor of the bill - AB 694.

We won't need additional speakers in favor of the bill. We have that worked out with the legislator. People being present and registering in favor of the bill is important to us.

Best case is that this goes to the floor for a vote in a few weeks. Worst case is that it gets sidetracked for a while. Getting to the committee for a hearing is a big step.

Look me up when you come in.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:27 AM   #617
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,288
Cannon, what time should we be there?
It said 10:31or right after the executive session.
Be there around 10:00 or so?
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #618
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Zed View Post
Cannon, what time should we be there?
It said 10:31or right after the executive session.
Be there around 10:00 or so?
The committee convenes at 1030. We aren't first up and I can't predict how long the stuff ahead of us will take. I'll be in the room before 1030. If you are there then, look me up.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #619
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,746
Thanks for attending this guys

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #620
Doctor Zed
Resident

Oddometer: 1,288
Way to go Cannon.
Things sounded really positive.
Doctor Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #621
rcniss
Not that way!!

Oddometer: 392
Looking forward to Cannons report on the meeting! To all who attended, THANKS for representing us!
rcniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #622
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Well, that went well. Don't you think?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #623
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
I'm glad I could help. It's always good to have a celebrity along.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #624
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

The Natural Resources and Sporting Heritage Committee of the Legislature met today and heard a presentation about our Off-Highway Motorcycle bill (AB 694).

The hearing went very well. We had a good plan going in to the briefing and it seemed some committee members were impressed with the work we had done to develop and present the bill. Two members of the Wisconsin ATV Association spoke in support of the bill as well, eliminating any concerns about conflicts between the interests of our motorized user groups.

It is still possible for the bill to make it to the floor for a vote this session. I would describe this as "best case". It is also possible that it will get sidetracked for a variety of reasons. Either way, we have come a long way and are doing well with our bill.

All good news! I will keep you updated as things progess.

If the bill goes to the floor, I will be calling for people contact their legislators asking for their support.

Thanks so much to the people that attended the hearing and registered in favor of the bill. All that positive support really served us well. There were no negatives from anyone that I know about. Although, my own representative that is on the committee and voted against the 4WD bill wasn't present at the hearing and may vote against it if I can't convince him otherwise.

I am very glad that some of our riders got to experience a small piece of the process first hand. The speed that this went through the committee doesn't seem to represent all the time and effort that went into it. I guess maybe it shows that the work was complete and good enough to see it through without a lot of issues.

Some of you may have noted how important it is to carefully measure your words when presenting or even discussing this bill with others. It is best to try to keep it positive and not stray into the weeds. Focus on the big positive picture.

All and all a good day for off-highway motorcycling.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #625
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
I'm glad I could help. It's always good to have a celebrity along.
I thought it was nice when the Chairman was in disbelief that the Green Bay QB supported the bill.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #626
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 264
Great job on the hearing prep Cannon Man ...makes all the difference when you anticipate and do all that leg work up front. It makes the legislators look like they know what they're talking about and that makes them happy and often accommodating. Let's hope it gets to the floor soon.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #627
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 330
Great job Cannon! A big Thanks! to you and everyone that showed up in support

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #628
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Update on the OHM Bill.

Strong support in the Natural Resources Cmte. Being voted out of committee on Thursday. Thanks so much to those that participated in the committee hearing!

The bill needs to run through the Finance Cmte after that. Should be no issues there.

Then it can go to the floor and get voted on. Should not be a problem there based on what we know right now.

Here is the catch. There is no Senate version of the bill yet. Since everyone is in a tight squeeze for the remainder of this session, it does not appear that a Senate bill will be introduced in time. A Senate version of the bill would also require a hearing. So, even though the bill will likely pass the Assembly it cannot be acted on by the Senate so it will not hit the Governor's desk.

This means we would be put off until next January to get the whole thing completed.

The good news is that once we take it all the way through the assembly, it is pretty much a slam-dunk to get it completed in January.

I would have preferred that the bill make it this time, but even with a delay to next session I am pretty happy with our progress.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #629
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Formal word is in that the Wisconsin Outdoor Expo is cancelled this year due to a funding issue. So, the project to include off-highway motorcycles in this event is on hold for at least a year.

The Wisconsin Outdoor Alliance Foundation (WOAF) has had the privilege of developing and managing the Wisconsin Outdoor Education Expo since its inception in 2006. Over this period, over 30,000 student s and teachers have participated in the free event.

However, the Expo requires substantial funding for the materials and services to make it happen each year. This year our funding support commitments have been late in arriving. Combined with a recent staff change, the WOAF lacks the resources and personnel to guarantee an Expo 2014. Too much is at stake as schools and administrators finalize plans for their participation. If the resources don’t materialize, the Board is concerned that schools will be unable to change plans or, worse yet, show up for an event not knowing that it has been cancelled.

The WAOF has decided to postpone the Expo until 2015, so that we can establish more reliable funding sources and retain staff to manage the event. We apologize for this inconvenience and ask your understanding in this matter. Furthermore, we ask that you plan for this event in 2015 as we will keep you apprised of our progress throughout the year.
Dan Gunderson
Old 03-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #630
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Nice article in the Wisconsin Outdoor News about the Wisconsin Conservation Wardens riding government surplus KLRs.

This has been going on for a few years. They picked up 23 olive drab bikes and parts for $400 per unit back in 2009 and 2010. They bought two more on the retail market for a total of 25. Nice bargain on the bikes.

Some talk with an Appleton Warden who keeps his bike in his garage and patrols with it.

Some guys are patrolling in the north on KLRs as well.

Picture from a few years ago.