ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #706
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 254
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
More discussion with Eau Claire County. Made some gains by carefully going through the issue to gain a better understanding and mutual agreement. Issue is going back to the corporation council but with more information that will give a clearer picture of what and why things need to be fixed. It is important to take on issues like this with an attitude to work together to arrive at the proper end state rather than rattling sabers right off the bat.
Thanks again David for ALL your work, we are well represented via your tact and knowledge. Bonus check (well praise, I guess) is due.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #707
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
Thanks again David for ALL your work, we are well represented via your tact and knowledge. Bonus check (well praise, I guess) is due.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 PM   #708
klx400kev
Faster in the dirt

Oddometer: 87
Thank you Cannonshot!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #709
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Some think my name is Dave because some of my tracks are hosted on the Dave's World server that belongs to my helpful friend Dave.

"Dave's not here!"
Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #710
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,340
Ahhh
Old 06-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #711
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

On another note, some may remember some issues with a certain ATV club essentially wanting to kick motorcycle riders off the Marinette County ATV trail system. Some stories may have been reported here. Whole separate issue I don't want to get into right now.

However, I mapped all the sections of the trail that have been signed closed to motorcycles. The idea may have been to break up the trail with closed sections enough to discourage other users. Of the 213 miles of trail only about 14 have been signed closed. Some of the signing may not be legit and I am taking that up with the county to resolve. One sign I questioned that I casually mentioned to a county rep when I started this project has already been removed. The closures are concentrated in an area associated with the club involved above.

So, now that I have visibility of the closed sections, I can complete a project of publishing some dual sport routes in that area that maximize the use of the good parts of the ATV trail and county forest roads while avoiding sections of the ATV trail that are signed closed.

I also cleared up some confusion in adjoining Florence County where the ATV trails are not open to motorcycles. Seems like some of the signed trail includes seasonal gas tax roads that are open to licensed motor vehicles. I already published some dual sport tracks there that take in some of the scenic waterfalls. Working on some other initiatives there as well.

Please do not practice the unproductive behavior of bashing ATV people. I ride an ATV myself. There are a few issues to deal with, but overall we have a good relationship and need to continue to foster that for the future.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #712
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 254
Laugh Knock Knock...Dave?

Quote:
Some think my name is Dave because some of my tracks are hosted on the Dave's World server that belongs to my helpful friend Dave.

"Dave's not here!"
I 'knock' corrected, thanks Mr Cannonshot.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #713
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Jackson County trails closed due to flooding.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #714
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Some of you may remember that I was approached by someone from Boulder Junction who was interested in adding dual sporting to the town's catalog of recreational opportunities.

I gave two briefings to some business leaders in the town to explain our recreational interest and what they would need to do to become a dual sport destination. I also told them they needed to start a local dual sport club.

This spring a couple of people in the area worked hard to derail this initiative and incite controversy. There were three meetings that I know of where they expressed their discontent. Some of the controversy was reported in the newspaper (I was mentioned by name).

The Town Chairman called me to ask about things. After we talked he was satisfied there was no problem and that the town government really didn't have much to say about it anyway. Finally the Chamber of Commerce overwhelmingly voted to actively promote dual sporting in Boulder Junction.

I provided a catalog of tracks based out of Boulder Junction that people can ride when they visit there.

Since that time I steered a few small groups that way. I heard of a group from Illinois that wanted to informally meet-up for some dual sporting. I contacted them and set them up with contacts in Boulder Junction that could help them with their needs (lodging, camping, food, etc). About 40-50 riders showed up there this weekend and rode a variety of the tracks. Some got as far as Lake Superior. People had a great time and some excellent rides.

The local dual sport club (which immediately started off with 20 members) provided us cards to identify us as dual sport riders. They wanted us to leave them at businesses where we spent money. Leaving these cards worked well. I got some nice comments back from business people about supporting us.

One business person told me that he initially was against bringing dual sporting to the area but now that he has seen things for himself he heartily supports it. People went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The Town Chairman stopped by the "base camp" and spent quite a while chatting with people and seeing what goes on first hand. He made us feel very welcome.

So, this is a success story where within a year we were able to partner with a community to expand opportunities to enjoy our recreational interest. It is also a clear example of how important it is to help people understand the facts about who we are and what we do instead of forming judgments based on what they imagine things are like.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #715
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,240
Awesome!
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #716
Ajacks
"Not in the face"

Oddometer: 146
I love to read good news, Way to go Brian, would love to go there.
Ajacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #717
liveforded
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Wondered where all the bikes came from around here this weekend! Brian, does the Boulder DS club have a website, or how is the best way to contact and join them? Would be interested in helping the cause.
liveforded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:07 PM   #718
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveforded View Post
Wondered where all the bikes came from around here this weekend! Brian, does the Boulder DS club have a website, or how is the best way to contact and join them? Would be interested in helping the cause.
I'll PM you a guy to get hold off once I get back home.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #719
liveforded
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
I'll PM you a guy to get hold off once I get back home.
Ok, thanks much.
liveforded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:04 AM   #720
Big Augie
Transient

Oddometer: 1,046
Great job!